Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Permission requested to remove jackstands
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
This is how she sat, waiting for an engine re-seal...
Click to view attachment

Finally on her own feet!
Click to view attachment

Took a lot of cranking to get it started. I didn't think that I was getting fuel pressure, so I pulled out the pump to check the wires. They looked fine, so I left it out to see if I could hear it when I turned the key, and then it started firing. I think that one of the hoses may have been kinked, and probably got freed when I pulled the pump out. Curiously, I never heard the pump at all, even though I have heard to listen for it.

After it actually started, it ran horribly for a while and then started to smooth out. I took it for a short spin, and was loving life, even though it is still running like crap. driving.gif driving.gif
bigkensteele
35 years of gunk removed. Nice and shiny!
Click to view attachment
stewteral
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 14 2011, 12:15 PM) *

35 years of gunk removed. Nice and shiny!
Click to view attachment

Bravo! A beautiful stock 914!

You even had the guts to keep and re-hose that bloody "bundle of snakes"
fuel injection system.

I hope you replaced the 2nd set of points in the distributor, BELOW the ignition points, that time the FI. When a set went bad on me, the car ran truly CRAPPY: no power, pinging, etc.

Best,
Terry

bigkensteele
I actually replaced all of those vacuum hoses (except the 22mm that is not included in the AA kit).

Removed the points and condensor and replaced with a Pertronix, however, I did not replace the FI points. Didn't even really think about it to tell you the truth. Might look at that...
dlee6204
piratenanner.gif cheer.gif first.gif Woohoo! I bet it feels good!

Care to elaborate on exactly how it is running crappy?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 14 2011, 12:52 PM) *

piratenanner.gif cheer.gif first.gif Woohoo! I bet it feels good!

Care to elaborate on exactly how it is running crappy?

Feels great!

It is running very rough - I think that it might be missing a cylinder or two. Timing is most likely off. I removed the dizzy to replace the O ring, but I was careful to leave the adjustment plate intact. So it is only in the ball park.

After running for a while, it only settled down to 2k at idle.

Walked out to the garage this morning and the garage wreaked of gas, with no visible leaks. I think the smell is probably coming from the exhaust, which would confirm that I am not getting full combustion.

It was 9 pm last night when I finally got it running, and I was ready to hang it up. I will do some more diagnosis this week.
NORD

They are just a JOY to drive!!! driving.gif
shoguneagle
Congratulations!!!What a great feeling!!!! I got mine running this spring and it was running rough and backfiring out of one bank. Worked down the vacuum leaks but it still ran rough. It started immediately and after working down the leaks, I let it run several different times whereas it gradually worked itself out.. I used a 60-70% max throttle until I could drive it dependably around town and out on the I40. Adjusted throttle to 100% and it really comes unglued. I DO KNOW WHY I BUILT A 914-SIXER!!!!

Yes, I do know what you are feeling and going through at this time.

Congrats,
Steve Hurt
Ian Stott
wow ! Brings back memories, drive it until you are on your second tank of gas, mine smoothed out big time after driving it a bit, I took it easy at first then started goig through the gears as if I knew what I was doing! You are close to having it run right, enjoy, and welcome to the club of teener drivers!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Nov 14 2011, 03:33 PM) *

wow ! Brings back memories, drive it until you are on your second tank of gas, mine smoothed out big time after driving it a bit, I took it easy at first then started goig through the gears as if I knew what I was doing! You are close to having it run right, enjoy, and welcome to the club of teener drivers!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Hoping you are right about it smoothing out, but I wonder why that is. Put another way, what would cause it to smooth out after a tank of gas? confused24.gif

BTW - I have been in the "owners" club since '95, but only in the "drivers" club sporatically since then. headbang.gif
type47
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 14 2011, 12:38 PM) *

...however, I did not replace the FI points. ...

I don't think you have FI points idea.gif
nowlings
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 14 2011, 04:19 PM) *

Picture looks like a 1.8 l. so no injection points on AFC ljet.

Good luck... I would double check all of your hose connections and boot installation for vacuum leaks. any unmetered air=crappy running and a potentially warped flapper door in the afc unit.
Black22
QUOTE(nowlings @ Nov 14 2011, 04:28 PM) *

Good luck... I would double check all of your hose connections and boot installation for vacuum leaks. any unmetered air=crappy running and a potentially warped flapper door in the afc unit.

That's what I was going to say...looks like a 1.8L....if it is, no trigger points in that dizzy.

Oh yeah, if that's what you call a "reseal" of the engine, you can reseal mine whenever you have a moment!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(nowlings @ Nov 14 2011, 04:28 PM) *

I will double check them, but they are all new except for the 22mm that goes from the oil filler neck to the boot, and the other 22mm from the boot to the decel valve. Those are not included in the AA kit, for some reason.

How tall do you have to be to time a 914? I am only about 5' 8", and I think that I am going to have to lay across the trunk lid to point the gun and see down the hole at the same time. Is there a better way?
dlee6204
I think that I am going to have to lay across the trunk lid to point the gun and see down the hole at the same time.

laugh.gif haha that's exactly what I have to do.
NORD

Try a mirror on a extention works good for timing
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.