Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jacking up the front of the car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
I'm going to replace the front bushings, struts, brake hoses, master cylinder, fuel lines, and add a front sway bar. Is it ok to just put the front of the car up on jack stands or should I put the whole car up?

Thanks.
URY914
I would put the whole car up. That way it will be level and it makes it easier to disassemble and re-assemble.

Pieces will fall stright down and hit in the head or foot instead of at an angle. biggrin.gif

Paul
chris914
If I put up the whole car is it better to put up one side then the other or the front and then the back?
Joe Ricard
Front then back or vice versa. I have to roll car up on 2X6 each wheel to get jack under 2X4 spanned across torsion bar mounts. (lift in the center) stands on the ends. Whole front goes up at one time.
Rear gets small 2X4 square under transaxle. Whole rear of car goes up at the same time. 4 jack stands and you are good to go.
URY914
I jack up entire rear than entire front. Not side to side. But this is because it is easier for me. I don't think there is a right vs. wrong way to do it.

Paul
nebreitling
this would be a good time to post your famous 2-jackstand method of raising the car, paul.
URY914
Yes this is an excellent time, thank you.

If you plan it just right you can get away using only two jack stands. Like this...
watsonrx13
Paul, you know you don't use any jacks, you just have your daughter pick up one side, then you slide the jack stand underneath, then the other side.

(hahahahahaha) biggrin.gif
URY914
Rob,
Thats sorta how this happened. I had it up on four stands and my daughter leaned on the car and it came off the front stands. She freaked, thought she had broken something. biggrin.gif

Now she says, "Remember that day I picked up the front of you car?"

Paul
chris914
This is the best reply to a post that I have ever received!

How about one jack stand, lol.

Maybe we could start a new thread for 914 tricks. Next stop Jay Leno and the Tonight Show.

Thanks for making me laugh!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.