Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forum differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Totally different out look on life. We talk about pulling motors and rebuilding, welding rust repair, Brake upgrades well you name it.

Mini guys talk about what options they ordered on the car they have yet to drive. They all pat each other butts for the "nice spec". Makes me want to barf.gif
They: talk about what to wash car with. this wax that wax
We: talk about best way to combat rust.
They: is the John Cooper Works package worth it.
We: stuff a V-8 it there and then plan the next modification Brakes!!!!
They: carbon fiber dash cover.
We: Longitudinal stiffening kit install (with pics)
They: wonder if 10,000 miles between oil changes is excessive.
We: leak oil faster than that. chatsmiley.gif
watsonrx13
Sounds like the 'whine' and cheese groups, 9eleben and Bimmers group.

Thank goodnes you still have the teener and can keep in touch with the real world. biggrin.gif

BTW, I bet they talk about working A/C also....
URY914
I'm a member of FerrariChat.

Thier off topic is filled with topics like:
"What's the best private jet?"
"How many homes do you own?"
"Who's going to Monoco for the GP?"

Although the swimsuit topic they have nailed is top notch. pray.gif

PAul
thomasotten
It's the same with newbeetle.org. I guess you can't blame them for having new engines and galvanized metal bodies. In my opinion, alot of the people are so starved for something to do with their cars, that they do silly things, like stupid fart pipes and body kits that look ugly. Not me, I haven't done one thing to my Beetle, I like it the way it is. I bet I could get better advice from the 914 forum for my new Beetle if I ever had to do some serious work on it.

People on this forum actually work on their cars. People here also work on their houses, and whatever.

This forum is a true Renaissance Man's Forum smash.gif
ChrisReale
I pulled up next to a Mini (new one), and it freaked me out that I was lower than he was. I saw the pic that was posted a while back, but it does not really sink in until you experience it in person. I tore him up on the turns going through the Presidio.
Trekkor
Speaking of mini's, I thought they were faster and handled better after watching "Italian Job" ( Mini infomercial ).

Nope, today at Alameda, the Mini got spanked BIG. spank.gif

KT
McMark
I've been reading some of the BMW 2002 Forum and the layout just kills me. 914world.com just flat out rocks. Good job everybody.
ArtechnikA
the new Mini has a lot of potential.

box-stock 1,7 914's didn't do well at AX the first day they showed up, either. takes a bit of work to develop the vehicle and learn to drive the package - the Mini guys are still learning to drive what they've got.

a guy i work with has been working on power development and has just shy of 200HP at the drive wheels. i don't think he's done much with the suspension or brakes but from the few times i've driven the car (NOT in competition) it seems a competent performer. it does, however, weigh something like 2800 lbs ...

i joined the NAISOC forum - the Subaru group - in part to troll for technical assistance on reparing the '97 Outback and in part to get some background on the '04 we just picked up for Joy. i was member 65,xxx(!). LOTS of off-topic. lots of kids with silly mods crashing their cars or grenading their engines and trying to figure out how to get it covered under the warranty.

Us: "What's a warranty ?"
Joe Ricard
Hey Paul, not fair. Bikini post on Ferarri chat with no link. ar15.gif Ya can't tease us like that. Do you know how many hits "ferrari chat gets on google? none of them have to do with cars. confused24.gif
URY914
Joe,
You have to be a member to view the pictures. w00t.gif

NA Na NA NA biggrin.gif

Paul
vortrex
something tells me if there was the Internet back in 1970 you wouldn't see posts on the 914 BBS about welding, repaints, rust repair, etc. most 914's are in such a SAD state of disrepair that it has to be talked about now and 914 owners in general are so cheap (ask brad and jake) that you get a lot of posts about "re-engineering" just to get cars back on the road. throw in the fact that a stock car has horrible performance, so of course you will see motor conversion, brake upgrades, suspension change, etc posts here.

let me guess, there are no chevy V8 motor swap threads on the ferrari forum?
Jeroen
Ha... you should read some of the Dutch Porsche forums...
The wildest upgrade those guys have done is changing the blinkerlights from orange to white lol2.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
jwade
Compared to a "real" mini, the new one looks like an SUV. rocking nana.gif

john
Joe Ricard
Yea, had a red neck ina mustang ask me what the heck this was I was driving. Mini Cooper S. He asks is it fast? Sort of I reply.

He took me at the light, 5.0 GT lol2.gif
Had to tell the wife it is hard to concetrate driving fast when she is yelling in my ear to slow down. driving.gif

Did I Mention she will NEVER ride in my teener? Her words. clap56.gif

SUV sure so where is the cargo capacity? I hardly think a gym bag qualifies and HUGE. idea.gif
jwade
I said "compare to" biggrin.gif

john
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(URY914 @ Aug 8 2004, 09:09 AM)
Joe,
You have to be a member to view the pictures. w00t.gif

NA Na NA NA biggrin.gif

Paul

and your point is........

or

Umm, yeah, so?

laugh.gif beer.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif drooley.gif' border='0' valign='absmiddle' alt='drooley.gif'>
914werke
Hmmm I aslo participate on the S-Car list and my impression comparing the two is that WE seem to have more FUN rolleyes.gif here. THEY get very technical and I sometimes think I need to be a Electrical or Turbo design engineer to follow along. More flared tempers and flames thrown over seemingly nothing.
One BIG diff is Money. The running joke is to bury you wallet in the Backyard cuz once youve started modifying your UrS car its a slippery slope!!!! smilie_pokal.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 7 2004, 07:03 PM)
Totally different out look on life. We talk about pulling motors and rebuilding, welding rust repair, Brake upgrades well you name it.

Mini guys talk about what options they ordered on the car they have yet to drive. They all pat each other butts for the "nice spec". Makes me want to barf.gif
They: talk about what to wash car with. this wax that wax
We: talk about best way to combat rust.
They: is the John Cooper Works package worth it.
We: stuff a V-8 it there and then plan the next modification Brakes!!!!
They: carbon fiber dash cover.
We: Longitudinal stiffening kit install (with pics)
They: wonder if 10,000 miles between oil changes is excessive.
We: leak oil faster than that. chatsmiley.gif

Toyota Echo boards sound more fun than Mini Boards. We talk about latest coilover applications, piston upgrades for turbo and supercharger applications, best tire and wheel application for track use etc. And then we talk about neon lights to make our cars look phat? Carbon fiber trim pieces and cool wings for our trunks.

You would be amazed at performance parts you can get for the Echo due to Vitz turbo in Japan. I'm looking at fully adjustable (dampening and hieght) Tein coilovers and adjustable camber plates now.

IPB Image
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 9 2004, 08:32 PM)
youve started modifying your UrS car its a slippery slope!!

...and that is different from Porsches how, exactly ? biggrin.gif
914werke
914's are CHEAP compared to Turbo Audis wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.