This car is begging to be driven. It's a '71 914-4 with approx. 36,163 miles. I've owned it for 6 or 7 years and bought it with about 32,000 miles and the 1975 inspection sticker still on it. The prior owner indicated that he bought it off a woman whose husband bought it and drove it mostly in California. He drove it across the country and basically parked it. The guy I bought it from had bought it for his wife who didn't like it. He never licensed it in PA. Most of the miles that I put on it were driving 20 miles round trip to work occasionally during the summers.

The car is mostly original although the previous owner painted it red prior to my purchase. It was originally that lovely orange color which can still be seen in the engine compartment. Since buying the car, I've done the following to the car: new brake lines, gas lines, gas filter, throttle position switch, plugs, por15'd the gas tank, new trim around the windshield, re-sealed the rear window, replaced the hub caps, new tires, tune-ups and regular oil changes. I bought a 914 roller for the front valance but never got around to refinishing it and putting it on. The car is currently inspected although it runs out at the end of November. Don't expect any reason for it not to pass inspection.

Things that need addressed are: hell hole (needs a battery tray and the upper and lower battery supports). This may be more than than minor although the doors shut crisply with or without the targa top on so I don't believe it to be a structural problem. The car runs strong but has a nagging cough and actually stalls when you punch it before shifting. It ran great right after I had the throttle position switch installed but went back to its old ways shortly thereafter. I think it may need replaced again. I haven't tried to clean the TPS. The only dash light that works is the speedometer.

The interior is in pretty decent shape. I have a replacement inside targa top lining, lining for the front storage compartment and other extra parts that I just haven't had time to replace. Also, I have parts from the roller that would be included in the sale, all the glass, extra targa top, two wheels, windshield fluid container, steering wheel, front hood, engine cover, trunk lid, headlight motors and some other parts.

I really don't want to sell this car but economics and the need to clean out my garage have pushed me to this point. This could be a daily driver if the engine cough is repaired. Car starts strong.

I'm asking $4,000 but will consider all offers.

Send email to gbeals@excite.com for pics.