Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator cable, length of the /4 cable vs the /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
The accelerator cable that was on my car was always short, but the carb linkage on the motor going back in is position such that it will require a longer cable. I want to order a new one so I'm looking for something longer than what is probably a stock 74 1.8 cable. What are my options? Is the /6 cable longer? Is there a longer /4 cable? I have a vague recollection of someone saying that Terry Cable would make one longer if requested. Anybody BTDT?
kconway
Why not use the OEM /6 cable?

*edit. Never mind, didn't quite read your post thoroughly. I've got nothing useful unless you need a measurement from an OEM /6 cable.
Gint
No worries. They are freakin expensive though.
Jeffs9146
Partsheaven got me an original 6 cable last month! It was more than the 4 but it still only cost about $150.

They are different lengths and I needed it for my throttle linkage for the 3.0L!
Scott S
Mr Gint -
If you are not in a hurry, you can absolutely have the one that is in my car. It is a Terry, it is only 2 years old and has very little mileage (probably 500 miles). Unfortunately I had to move the car into storage and wrap it in plastic for probably the next 60 days during the remodel. I cant get near it until then (it is buried deep and the plastic is duct taped to the floor all the way around it).

beerchug.gif
Gint
I appreciate it Scotty. But I need to get my 914 back on the road. It's a major component of my stress relief program and it's been down all summer.

$150 for a accelerator cable!?!?! That's nutz.

Any input on the Terry cable extra long unit?
kconway
Please, if you're looking for an OEM part try Sunset Porsche in Portland. I bought the OEM /6 cable last month for ~ $70. No affiliation but I buy all my dealer parts there and they can't be beat.
Gint
I don't have to have an OEM part. I'm going to call Terry tomorrow. I'd prefer a cable that's actually 4-6" longer anyway.
McMark
I called Terry cable to talk about the limo throttle cable. They said, "No problem, just tell us how much longer." Give 'em a call, and have your measurements ready. I don't know about pricing though.
Gint
Retail for a stock Terry cable is like $38 through Pelican. I can't imagine a 4" longer cable could be more than $50.
kconway
Yeah Gint, I prolly should have gone with the Terry but didnt think it through. Just passing on the comment about cost after I saw what Jeff paid so someone reading your thread doesn't get burned if they go OEM.

Kev
VaccaRabite
Yep, Terry cable. the regular one is a little longer then the stock cable, and they will make them any size you ask for.

Zach
Gint
Anybody have the length of a stock /4 cable? I've got clutch cables but no spare accelerator... wait, I think I remember where one is stashed.
Gint
Right in the front trunk where I left it. 914 423 067 02 Gemo cable is 101" for anyone that cares or for a search later.
McMark
101" overall? How long is the housing portion.
Gint
Duh. Guess I shoulda measured that too. 41.5" from end to end including the fittings.
Gint
Ordered 2. smile.gif 4" longer.

Migt as well add:
17376 Eucalyptus St. | Hesperia, CA 92345 | 800-854-4691
terrycable.com/products
Gint
Received custom length cables on Tuesday the 22nd. 6 days from order to door. Nice. And they're 4-ish inches longer both in cable and sleeve length.
McMark
Awesome! Incidentally, I ordered a custom cable replacement for the NLA 912E cable and received it just as quickly and for about $45, IIRC.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.