Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Caliper E-Brake Rebuild Kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I'm feeling out my source for rear caliper e-brake rebuild kits. These kits are the most complete I have found so far. If you're interested post here. I spoke with the supplier yesterday morning. He thinks he'll be able to get them for $35 each + shipping and packaging from me. I need to confirm that this price is per caliper when I call him back next week. So far I have the following people interested:

Special_K
krk
Lawrence
jlb914@comcast.net
6fahrer
Mikey
ArtechnikA
736conver
Put me on the list.

Thanks
cgnj
Me too!

Carlos
jim912928
ditto that for me..put me on.

Jim
SLITS
Would the kits include all the "O" rings and a new adjustment screw?
SpecialK
Sorry Mark, I got a set on the way from guy in Tenn., I had to have mine ASAP to get this car on the road. But thanks for the offer, I'm sure you'll have plenty of takers!
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Aug 7 2004, 09:37 PM)
I'm feeling out my source for rear caliper e-brake rebuild kits.  These kits are the most complete I have found so far.  If you're interested post here.  I spoke with the supplier yesterday morning.  He thinks he'll be able to get them for $35 each + shipping and packaging from me.  I need to confirm that this price is per caliper when I call him back next week.

If you are going to disassemble the e-brake shaft, then the kits really need to include new snap rings, at least half of the time you remove them they break.
Part Pricer
OK, guys. This is a request for a public education. I ask for a public education because I know that some other folks here are almost as dim-witted as I am. blink.gif

Burger-boy says that on his group buy, the price for a kit will be $35+. I'm sure that it will take a little time to pull this together.

On the other hand, PK has kits in stock and vouches for their completeness.

Unless there is a considerable price difference, why re-invent the wheel? confused24.gif

I'd like to buy a clue. biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Aug 8 2004, 08:17 AM)
On the other hand, PK has kits in stock and vouches for their completeness.

Unless there is a considerable price difference, why re-invent the wheel? confused24.gif

My kits do not have the o-rings for the e-brake shaft, but I generally don't replace that anyway.

I've rebuilt in the neighborhood of 50 914 rear calipers and haven't had a problem not replacing that o-ring. If you get brake fluid leaking out of the e-brake shaft then the inner adjuster seal has failed.

Just my .02 though, if you want to take it to another level, then that's cool too. I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder OR business, I'm just tossing the bone out there for anyone that wants it.

PK cool.gif

ps I do include very detailed instructions that I've put together
Part Pricer
Is the price a secret?
McMark
Here's the deal. If we can find a supplier who has a complete kit for cheap then great. But there is a serious lack of real proof about the completeness of the kits. I even neglected to take a picture of the kit I got before I started installing. I'm sending a PM to Special_K to have him take a picture of his and I'll order one from my place as soon as I can and take a picture of it. Supposedly Pelican has kits and I'm going to follow up with them next week. Wasn't there somebody on the board who worked at a Porsche dealer?
Eric_Shea
I'm interested in enough kits for 6 calipers...

How much is the final cost?

PK... what's your's run?
Britain Smith
I would also be interested.

-Britain
IronHillRestorations
EDITED POST - The four cylinder caliper kits do no include the small pad pin retaining pins, the 914-6 kits do however have the retaining pins.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 8 2004, 11:45 AM)
I'm interested in enough kits for 6 calipers...

How much is the final cost?

PK... what's your's run?

Ok, I purchased like 15 sets of 4's and 8 sets of 6's about 18 months ago. I mostly have used them up on rebuilds, and just sold my last in stock 4 and 6 sets to Special K and 6Fahrer in the last three days. I've got to re-order tomorrow and if you want a kit send me a pm. The way Porsche prices have been the last two years, I'm betting it's gone up some.

Again, what I sell in a "kit" is as follows:

piston seals (O-ring)
piston dust seals and snap rings
caliper half seals (square O-ring)
inner adjuster O-ring
outer adjuster O-ring
copper seal ring, for inner adjuster
steel hex socket inner adjuster cover
pad pin cotter pins - 914-6 ONLY
detailed rebuild instructions

I don't know anyone that sells the outer adjusters with a kit. The only place I know that has new outer adjusters is AA.

Porsche used to sell a additional caliper hardware kit that had new spreader springs, new pad pins and retainers, the outer adjuster cover, and the copper seal ring, but I think that may be NLA. The last time I got some of those they were high, like $40 per caliper kit, and that's not including the above rebuild kit.

I do have one set of NOS rear calipers that I'd part with. I've got one more set of those for the black hole, and one set of NOS 914-6 rear calipers to put in the trophy cabinet.
IronHillRestorations
OK here is a 914-4 rear caliper kit. My instructions are not shown.

PK cool.gif
IronHillRestorations
Here is the 914-6 kit.
IronHillRestorations
After further consideration, and seeing that other parts suppliers do post prices on their website (and I don't have time or resources to have a website for the shop); here are the prices for the rear caliper kits.

914-4 $23

914-6 $32

After checking what I've got in stock, I have one more pair of 914-4's and one single 914-6 kit. I'm going to wait a couple days before I order more, so PM me if you want any.

PK cool.gif
914gem
Put me on the list for a set
McMark
I FINALLY got my hands on a rebuild kit. Here's what they look like! The fat black seal and the copper "freeze plug" are the gems of this kit. It's funny, right after I started this thread my ebrake lever started leaking bad. Now I can fix it. These kits are not cheap and unfortunately are very hard to get. There is a very limited quantity available. Price shipped to your door is $55 per kit. So you need 2 kits per car.
maf914
Mark,

Will you still be offering these? If so, put me down for a pair and let us know how to make payment and arrange shipping.

One of my rear calipers has a weepy e-brake lever seal.

Thanks.
krk
So... does this mean you got the kits? (it would be nice to have non-leaky rear brakes on the /6 ;-))

kim.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Sep 21 2004, 09:57 PM)
I FINALLY got my hands on a rebuild kit. Price shipped to your door is $55 per kit. So you need 2 kits per car.

is that a /4 kit or a /6 kit ?

if i have spacers for vented disks, i'd need !4! per car, yes ?

exactly which are the O-rings / seals that are included ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.