Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgiroux67
Can you use a 915 transmission in a 914 or does it require major modifications? Is it better than the 901 or not much of a difference? How much do they usually go for?
Andyrew
Requires mods, like shift linkage, clutch..

Changes the gear ratio.. trani strength...

But your not going to need one... Unless your going to have a ton of hp..

Hey, If you have a line on one... You know a little someone who'd be a tad interested.....

wavey.gif

Erm.. I think there like 750-2000.... depending... Havent priced em out.

Why do you ask?
Aaron Cox
not needed for 4's or small sixes. save your money.
jgiroux67
I was just curious so I asked. So If I were to go to a six then getting a 915 would be the way to go?
Andyrew
if your six is popin more than 300 hp and tq.. (mainly tq)...

Then yes..

If so, let me know what kind of six your running with a teenagers budget thats making 300 hp...

Its not something you need to be worrying about...

Andrew
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 7 2004, 10:17 PM)
Requires mods, like shift linkage, clutch..

flipping the R&P, new exhaust, electric speedo ...
Red-Beard
Does anyone know what happened to the "sideshift" conversion kit for the 915? Is it still around or anyone have a lead on one?

James
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Aug 8 2004, 05:28 AM)
Does anyone know what happened to the "sideshift" conversion kit for the 915? Is it still around or anyone have a lead on one?

The Vellios stuff is pretty much gone, but i understand the WEVO stuff is better now than that stuff ever was (although it was quite the thing in its day).

bring money - but if you're putting an engine big enough to need a 915 in a 914, you don't need to be told that ...
Brad Roberts
I'm pushing anyone with a 3.0 and up engine to run a 915 in their 914. WEVO has the setup for converting the 915 to midengine use. Porsche knew what they where doing when the 2.2/2.4 engines received the 915 in the 911's. Why should we run a 901 behind a 3.0 when Porsche NEVER did. I always end up regearing the 901 to match the torque of the 3.0/3.2/3.6 so why not run something that is already geared correctly ??

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 8 2004, 07:44 AM)
...WEVO has the setup for converting the 915 to midengine use.

i can never remember -- with the WEVO sideshift is it still possible to run a conventional banana muffler, or are you back into custom dual-muffler territory ?
Brad Roberts
A stock bannana muffler has to be "notched" slightly, but it can be run. The mods are pretty easy.

We are buying core 915's for around 750-1000$.

There isnt a west coast 914 race car (6 cyl car) that still has a 901 in it. Everyone I have spoken to has switched over.

B
Red-Beard
I have a 1974 915, which used the same ring and pinion ratio as the 901. From my understanding, the forward gears are short and 5th is very long. It also uses the cable drive for the speedo.

Eventually, I plan to use this for the 914/6 with the 2.7RS spec engine.

James
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.