Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting the resto of my 75', have questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
After a long time away from 914's I recently bought another (my 7th) and i'm ready to take it apart and do a complete restoration. Car only has 62k miles and is very original. a few dents and scrapes, other than that very solid. I will be doing some light bodywork, removing very light surface rust, painting and putting it back together. It will be original with 1 repaint.

Except I want to change a couple of things, thus the questions:

The 75 2.0 has had Webbers installed but they didn't change the cam. Since the 75 "GC" enigne had lower HP, I'm thinking about rebuilding a 73 "GA" 2.0 that I have.

I'm also going to back date the bumpers to 72' specs.

Thoughts on changing the engine and keeping the original in mothballs?
mepstein
Since your changing the bumpers, cutting off the metal lip, and drilling holes, why worry about origional engine? Just build the car you like. good luck, mark

sixerdon
The GA & GC engines are essentially the same. Since it already has carbs, it means the air pump and related plumbing have been removed and the heads plugged. What about your exhaust system? Is it stock '75 or back dated? If it is back dated, then you have the same hp rating as the '73/'74 2.0.
Don
Type 47
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Nov 16 2011, 06:10 AM) *

The GA & GC engines are essentially the same. Since it already has carbs, it means the air pump and related plumbing have been removed and the heads plugged. What about your exhaust system? Is it stock '75 or back dated? If it is back dated, then you have the same hp rating as the '73/'74 2.0.
Don

Thanks Don,

It's got an aftermarket exhaust that replaces the heat exchangers. It's all one piece until the muffler...not sure how free flowing it is.
Type 47
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2011, 03:37 AM) *

Since your changing the bumpers, cutting off the metal lip, and drilling holes, why worry about origional engine? Just build the car you like. good luck, mark

agree.gif What else would you do? suggestions for shocks/struts, tire/wheels?

any engine mods other than putting in a cam for the Webbers and rebuilding those?
mepstein
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Nov 16 2011, 12:16 PM) *

any engine mods other than putting in a cam for the Webbers and rebuilding those?

My car came with kyb's - never liked them. I would go with Eric Shea's favorite - Boge's, small front swaybar, fuchs 2.0 wheels, good tires in a 205x60x15 size and make sure the brakes, tie rods, ect are all up to snuff.

If you feel like welding, I would ad an Engman stiff kit for the longs.

All the above is just my opinion - Have fun! mark
Type 47
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2011, 11:06 AM) *

My car came with kyb's - never liked them. I would go with Eric Shea's favorite - Boge's, small front swaybar, fuchs 2.0 wheels, good tires in a 205x60x15 size and make sure the brakes, tie rods, ect are all up to snuff.

Thanks Mark!

I have another car I do HPDE track events with, so I don't think I would do the stiff kit, however all of your other suggestions are good.

Where would you look to get a set of fuchs'? do they make repros?

Brake pads, rotors, & lines were recently done before I bought it. I'll give the suspension a good go over when I disassemble for the paint/bodywork.

it will need a set of springs also...I'm thinking a set of 1401bs would be the choice.
DanT
If you want a thread about restoring/modding a 75 2.0L then refer to this thread retro '75...
pretty long but some good stuff included... biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Nov 16 2011, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2011, 11:06 AM) *

Thanks Mark!

I have another car I do HPDE track events with, so I don't think I would do the stiff kit, however all of your other suggestions are good.

Where would you look to get a set of fuchs'? do they make repros?

Brake pads, rotors, & lines were recently done before I bought it. I'll give the suspension a good go over when I disassemble for the paint/bodywork.

it will need a set of springs also...I'm thinking a set of 1401bs would be the choice.

Fuchs - place a WTB on this site.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.