Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust recommendation for Spec racer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
consolidated
A group of us in Texas are starting a grassroots Spec 914 race series. It's a low key, low cost (yes, I lie to myself often) race series among friend-emies.

I race a Spec Boxster in PCA/NASA and also have two seasons of Chump/Lemons in our "hippie 908" 914-4, which was the inspiration/sickness for these new builds, but otherwise have little knowledge of 914's and asking for suggestions after doing much reading here.

What exhaust do you recommend? My car is a 75 914-4 1.8L ( all cars will be 1.7/1.8L) and I'm considering Triad and Bursch but unable to find much info on SSI or Thunderbird (recommended to me). This is a race only car so HP and weight trump noise/drone/durability/price. The spec requires stock headers/HE but otherwise free after the flange. We're using dual Webers.

Also, are wheel studs available, hoping to get rid of the lug bolts. Bullet nose even better.

Thanks!
Borderline
Don't know about exhaust systems, but I just found this site the other day:

Track Studs

they have different length and quality of studs to choose from.

Good luck with your spec racer 914!
campbellcj
With carbs and a race application would you even want/need a muffler, versus megaphones?
SirAndy
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Nov 19 2011, 02:29 PM) *
With carbs and a race application would you even want/need a muffler, versus megaphones?

You need the back pressure, so *no* on the megaphones.

He said they need to keep the stock exchangers, which means the only place to do a crossover (to get the back-pressure) is in the muffler.

My choice would probably be a Triad muffler.
http://www.triadwestperformance.com/Products.htm

driving.gif
DanT
my choice for that type of car would be either a Bursch or a partially gutted and twin piped stock banana muffler biggrin.gif
Brett W
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 21 2011, 12:50 PM) *

You don't need backpressure. That is synonymous with restriction. Needing backpressure for an engine to operate is the biggest myth floating around the interwebs right now. Engines do no function well with backpressure. Any amount of backpressure will hurt cylinder scavenging.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 21 2011, 12:47 PM) *

You don't need backpressure. That is synonymous with restriction. Needing backpressure for an engine to operate is the biggest myth floating around the interwebs right now. Engines do no function well with backpressure. Any amount of backpressure will hurt cylinder scavenging.

Interesting. idea.gif

A well respected engine builder that frequents this board has said on numerous occasions that running an exhaust system without crossover on a T4 will net in loss of torque and HP.

His statements reflect my experience on the subject.
popcorn[1].gif
Brett W
That still doesn't mean the engine needs backpressure to function properly. That means the engine is not properly tuned to use that type of exhaust.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 21 2011, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 21 2011, 12:47 PM) *

Interesting. idea.gif

A well respected engine builder that frequents this board has said on numerous occasions that running an exhaust system without crossover on a T4 will net in loss of torque and HP.

His statements reflect my experience on the subject.
popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif totally with Brett. Backpressure usually results in part of the exhaust charge being left in the combustion chamber, which dilutes the incoming air/fuel mixture.
I think the term used was "collector", not crossover, but even that is a gross oversimplification and isn't necessarily true.
Pipe length plays as important a role as anything in exhaust design.
The problem with most 914 aftermarket "headers" is that they add length to already too-long primaries.
The problem with megaphones on a 914-4 is that the bad cylinder pairing hurts torque/hp.
Woody
If this is the group that intends to run at Harris Hill Road then megaphones probably won't do. There are sound regs due to a pesky neighbor. I have an old Bursch that may fit and Consolidated, you are more than welcome to give it a try.
consolidated
QUOTE(Woody @ Nov 22 2011, 05:29 PM) *

If this is the group that intends to run at Harris Hill Road then megaphones probably won't do. There are sound regs due to a pesky neighbor. I have an old Bursch that may fit and Consolidated, you are more than welcome to give it a try.

Thanks Woody, I may take you up on the offer. My donor unfortunately is more rust than car so we're looking for another.
Woody
Have we met before? I'm the one running the silver 914 with the San Antonio PCA.
consolidated
I'm not sure, I'm in Austin so we've likely met at H2R. I'm usually in this car with PCA and NASA...hard to miss.

Please come check out the series next year, it should be a lot of fun.

Click to view attachment
consolidated
I decided to go with Triad, thanks all.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(consolidated @ Nov 23 2011, 01:18 PM) *

I'm not sure, I'm in Austin so we've likely met at H2R. I'm usually in this car with PCA and NASA...hard to miss.

Please come check out the series next year, it should be a lot of fun.

Click to view attachment

Cool BoxSpec.

I like what you did with the headlights especially... nice when you see a mod that is better than factory... cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.