Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fabbed Heat Exchangers for some Headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I spent the weekend cutting and welding heat exchangers for some headers I got from Bleyseng. I guess these are Eurorace that Zois had, then, Brad then, Geoff and now me. Anyway they are stainless and I used 304 stainless for the jackets.

Hope this works cause I barely left the garage and I used up the last few car tokens I had with the wife.

Dave
DNHunt
Here's another view
thomasotten
That doesn't look like you are going to get a lot of volume in there. Shouldn't the shell be bigger?
Jeroen
Let us know if or how well it works!

cheers,

Jeroen
bperry
Um... did you measure your clearance between the shift
rod and the #1 and #2 exhaust tubes to make sure
there was enough clearance?

I had a set that looked just like those many years ago and my
shift rod slight rubbed the actual #1 header tube when
shifting into 1st.

Other than that, I'm curious how well this works.

--- bill
914werke
I commend your ingenuity Dave but it dost look like that setup is very condusive to ..air-flow. sad.gif
The stock exchangers have a sort of circular path that works evan with the weak ass fan.
Perhaps if you pump up the CFM?
IronHillRestorations
Hope it works! You didn't make the collectors over any weld joints did you? That's a no-no, for aircraft and Porsches.

One thing you could have done was to make the collectors out of mild steel. This is what the factory did with all of the early heat exchangers. The exhaust pipes were made of stainless (a low grade), and the collectors from mild steel. This way the collectors would wear out before the pipes.

PK cool.gif

post some photos when you get your engine running, you sure got some neat parts!
Bruce Allert
Dave... you never cease to amaze me smilie_pokal.gif
(I think) I'd have you for a dentist any day... more nitrous please Doctor laugh.gif

Those look great clap56.gif just hope you can get heat into the cabin for when it's cold up thar cool_shades.gif

.........b
rhodyguy
are you going to build up some rectangular stock to make the branch pieces work for the fan housing connections? adding another single outlet fan might help with the air flow. you'll need a few tokens for when the lifters show up so you can put your engine together. wink.gif

kevin
Brad Roberts
Umm.. that is a ceramic coated header... NOT stainless steel. George never made one of those in stainless.

B
maf914
Way to go Dave. I hope that works for you.

That said, I share the concern that the ducting may be too tight and restrict airflow. You should get heat, but volume may be a problem. Using the booster fan in the engine compartment might help. Fans have a performance curve, pressure versus flow (cfm), and as pressure increases flow decreases. I am afraid that the booster fan will run out of flow as it tries to deliver the pressure needed. Let's see what happens.
bperry
Looking at those headers, I don't think that they are Eurorace headers.
I did have some like those but the ones that I have now,
I'm pretty sure that they are the Eurorace headers, are not like that.
(I actually got them from FAT years ago)

Mine are exactly the same as the ones in this picture: (including muffler)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=2&t=8519

The pipes never go under the bottom of the case like these.
In the ones I have, the #3 and #4 tubes curve away from the engine
not towards/under it and the #2 tube crosses over behind the engine
not under it.

Did Eurorace make different versions?
Which of these is the real Eurorace, vs Triad, vs ??, etc..?

--- bill
DNHunt
Well Brad you were right. The magnet sticks real good. My bad I should have taken a magnet along when i bought them.

I'm unclear on the maker, I was just passing on what I was told. However, that's really not important to me at this point. I bought them so I'll run them. I'm gonna change the collector as it's pretty crappy. I'll play around with the math but I'm leanning towards a 4-2-1 rather than 4-1. I'm just waiting on case hardware and lifters before putting together a new 2270. I need the figures for lift and duration to determine the configuration of the pipes.

I eyeballed clearance on the car so I'd say I have a 50/50 chance it'll fit without smash.gif .

I too am concerned about resistance. It passed my built in bellows test. It's very easy to blow through. However, our lungs move a pretty fair amount of air so I doubt that's a good test.

We'll see. I need some heat. There are just too many times up here when I would leave it in the garage if it didn't have heat.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.