Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 engine weight?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ccj
I need an estimate for the weight of a complete 2.0 engine assembly. I will be doing a build over the winter inside on the dining room table.
mepstein
QUOTE(ccj @ Nov 16 2011, 04:18 PM) *

I need an estimate for the weight of a complete 2.0 engine assembly. I will be doing a build over the winter inside on the dining room table.

~200 +/-
bulitt
321lbs

2.0 specs
JmuRiz
Sure doesn't feel like 321lbs

Wish I would have had a way to weigh mine before I sold it...maybe I'll weigh the 911 engine before I put it in to get some real world weights.
mepstein
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2011, 04:23 PM) *

QUOTE(ccj @ Nov 16 2011, 04:18 PM) *

~200 +/-

Ok, I'll say 250 fully dressed but no way 320. The small 6's are 400 fully dressed and I'm pretty sure that includes heeat exchangers and exhaust.

Maybe 320 includes the 70lb trans?

My dining room table might hold 250 but I wouldn't do it. Find a workbench or old heavy duty steel office desk on craigslist.
JawjaPorsche
Your dining room table! Wow! You must have a very understanding wife or you are divorced!
Tom_T
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Nov 16 2011, 03:39 PM) *

Your dining room table! Wow! You must have a very understanding wife or you are divorced!

agree.gif lol-2.gif .... just what I was going to say - or still single!
bigkensteele
40 - 60 bucks will get you an engine stand from HF, but then you need to spring for a VW/Porsche adapter. Anybody know where to get one of those cheap?
orange914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 16 2011, 04:11 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Nov 16 2011, 03:39 PM) *

agree.gif lol-2.gif .... just what I was going to say - or still single!

or next to the disassembled camero carb parts teef.gif
Elliot Cannon
250? 321? So, which is it? This question has been asked before and no one seems to know for sure. Lots of opinions though. Go figure. confused24.gif lol-2.gif
76-914
321 lbs w/ tranny

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Eng_ST71-11.jpg
Krieger
That link you posted says 307lbs for the engine. Are you saying the tranny is 14lbs. confused24.gif
brant
the tranny is around 75
the motor is approximately 250

It can be more with shipping crates, etc.
(-6 motors are 400)

mskala
IMO the reason this question is always asked and we always get many
different answers, and even books like Ludvigsen are not necessarily
consistent, is because:

What do you include when you are talking about the engine?

Intake and FI attached?
Exhaust system and muffler attached?
Flywheel?
In the case of 914/914-6, fan, oil tank?

For example, 914-6 engine weight listed as 387 pounds. However,
I recently measured only 285 pounds for my 2.2 on 914-6 case,
without fan, carbs, exhaust.

mepstein
QUOTE(mskala @ Nov 17 2011, 11:55 AM) *

IMO the reason this question is always asked and we always get many
different answers, and even books like Ludvigsen are not necessarily
consistent, is because:

What do you include when you are talking about the engine?

Intake and FI attached?
Exhaust system and muffler attached?
Flywheel?
In the case of 914/914-6, fan, oil tank?

For example, 914-6 engine weight listed as 387 pounds. However,
I recently measured only 285 pounds for my 2.2 on 914-6 case,
without fan, carbs, exhaust.

Most listings are fully dressed including exhaust. I don't include the trans when i'm thinking engine weight but apparently some sites do.
monkeyboy
2.0 4 cyl, or the 2.0 6?

I assume 4, but I am not sure.

Fully dressed?
monkeyboy
2.0 4 cyl, or the 2.0 6?

I assume 4, but I am not sure.

Fully dressed?
ccj
Here is the scoop for those still interested.
I have decided to replace the dining room table with a 6 foot industrial work bench from Lista that will hold 1000 lbs. I will be assembling a complete 2.0/4 on one end and have seating for 3 on the other end. Once complete I will swap out my 1.8. I wanted to still drive my car while building an engine. I am divorced with 2 kids. I kept everything with wheels on it, she got the furniture.
orange914
QUOTE(ccj @ Nov 18 2011, 08:53 AM) *

I have decided to replace the dining room table with a 6 foot industrial work bench from Lista that will hold 1000 lbs. I will be assembling a complete 2.0/4 on one end and have seating for 3 on the other end. Once complete I will swap out my 1.8. I wanted to still drive my car while building an engine. I am divorced with 2 kids. I kept everything with wheels on it, she got the furniture.

We're just giving you a hard time. biggrin.gif
welcome.png
I built my 1st engine (1600) in a walk in closet
ccj
QUOTE(orange914 @ Nov 18 2011, 11:13 AM) *

welcome.png

I rebuilt an ARB air locker on a toilet seat in a motel once. The bathroom had better lighting and it was freezing outside.
orange914
QUOTE(ccj @ Nov 18 2011, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Nov 18 2011, 11:13 AM) *

welcome.png

I rebuilt an ARB air locker on a toilet seat in a motel once. The bathroom had better lighting and it was freezing outside.

good lighting, work bench AND parts washer in one place chowtime.gif
maf914
QUOTE(ccj @ Nov 18 2011, 07:53 AM) *

Isn't Lista the company that sponsored the Horag Lista Ferrari 333 SP and Porsche RS Spyder teams in IMSA and ALMS? Drivers were Fredy Lienhard and Didier Theys, with others in the long events.

Good luck with the engine build. Dinner with the kids with an engine assembly underway on the same table should be educational. Your kids will grow up to be mechanics or engineers, or just think daddy was nuts... Just kidding! laugh.gif

I rebuilt a 2.0 on a Work-Mate bench in the den adjacent to the dining room of my first house. I had a cheap set of metal shelves to store tools and parts next to it. Cardboard and an old rug to protect the tile floor. All of the dirty work was done outside in the carport and back yard. The rebuild turned out okay and I drove it for years afterwards. Still have the Work-Mate in my garage. idea.gif
einic
140 kg.
Kraftwerk
So then, whats the weight difference of a 914 car and a 914-6 car?

EdwardBlume
Glad to hear you got the dining room table....
ccj
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 23 2011, 06:01 AM) *

Glad to hear you got the dining room table....

Thanks, hers cost more but mine is still better! Now for some cool stools to set around it. How about a complete motorsports dining room theme? This could happen with a few vintage signs on the walls too.
Steve73
QUOTE(ccj @ Nov 18 2011, 09:53 AM) *

You got the better part of the deal. party.gif
Kraftwerk
I am guessing the 2.0 weighs 2/3rds of the 3.0 but the amount of oil needed and larger oil tank needs to be taken into consideration, agreed? Gets complicated...
brant
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Dec 1 2011, 01:53 PM) *

I am guessing the 2.0 weighs 2/3rds of the 3.0 but the amount of oil needed and larger oil tank needs to be taken into consideration, agreed? Gets complicated...

nope
they are different designs
one is twin overhead cams
the other a single cam
one has timing chains and a dry sump pump..
the other doesn't

the answer is (depending on specific model)
250 for a 4 cylinder
400 for a 6 cylinder
jcd914
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 1 2011, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Dec 1 2011, 01:53 PM) *

nope
they are different designs
one is twin overhead cams
the other a single cam
one has timing chains and a dry sump pump..
the other doesn't

the answer is (depending on specific model)
250 for a 4 cylinder
400 for a 6 cylinder

You are right, they are different
But if your estimated weights are correct 2/3 of a 3.0 is pretty close guess.
2/3 of 400 is 266 smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.