Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gendent
Does anyone have a big ball park figure on what it costs to 1) rebuild a sideshifter on my own-not including beer and 2) what it should cost for a shop to do it? I could use the good Dr Evil as well. I am not looking for exact costs, just a range to work with. If I do it I will have to add about $500 for hooking up my wood stove in the shop. It is 25 F in the shop right now. Fingers no workee so good.
jimkelly
just hope it does not need a 1st/reverse slider - $400+ new

used parts for the rest are not bad cost wise.

dr evil is the way to go - get it done right the first time.

jim
pcar916
That totally depends on why you're rebuilding it. The following assumes you've inspected and/or replaced any bushings in the shifter linkage before you suspect the transaxle of bad behavior.

If you're just sealing it up because it's leaking all over the floor then a gasket kit will be nearly all you'll need. If you have to replace bearings and / sliders / spiders / dog teeth, it'll be "a bunch". If it's only a synchronizer or two and a gasket kit then a few hundred should do it. Can't really tell until you get in there.

Add in the cost of Dr. Evil's rebuild course into the cost as well. That's money well spent.

While you're "in the neighborhood" you may as well repack the cv joints and replace the boots if needed.

Good luck
Cevan
I had a couple of extra 901 boxes. I sent my gear stack to Dr. Evil and he diagnosed what needed to be replaced. I was able to harvest the sliders and a set of dogteeth from one of the extra 901's and send them to him. His labor was pretty cheap as I recall. I replaced all the seals myself.

Removing, shipping and reinstalling the gearstack was a piece of cake. He has a write up in the vendor section.
shoguneagle
I would get the "Great Doc Evil of the EVILWORKs" involved at least to provide advise such as reviewing the gear stack as indicated. His opinion goes a long ways in my book and then you would have a basis to work from. Either have Doc do it (does a great job), take his course (I will even provide the CD which I have around here somewhere), or go blindly yourself (a lot of problems this way; do not ask how I know).

If you decide to do it yourself, then get the great Doc's CD; people on this board will give all kinds of advice (some jokingly, but most very good including danger warnings). Then you take it very slowly working your way through and photo/document. What about any special tooling??

Doc built mine which I am completely happy with the quality, craftmanship, and everything. Did not have to sweat anything and even drank a couple of Ice Cold "brewski's" giving myself a pat on the back on the great job I did on the transaxle -- The great job I did was having Doc Evil build it; I even take pride in telling people "my transaxle is in the best of health since it was just recently had a medical examination". "Punny, isn't it!!!! Puns amoung Puns!!!

Steve Hurt
McMark
I did about 5 a couple months ago. Not sure why there was such a rush. They pretty much all ran about $1000 for labor and cleaning, and about $1000 for parts (mostly 1,2,3 components).
Dr Evil
Thanks for the kind recommendations smile.gif

There is a thread in the vendors section with info on my costs (link below), the link below for my DVD course, and we are all here to help if you go it on your own smile.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 16 2011, 08:13 PM) *

I did about 5 a couple months ago. Not sure why there was such a rush. They pretty much all ran about $1000 for labor and cleaning, and about $1000 for parts (mostly 1,2,3 components).

I do mine for far less than $2000, including shipping.
messix
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 16 2011, 05:19 PM) *

I pm'd him on the one I have.
gendent
Sorry to be tardy to the talk. I am sensing that all roads lead to Evil so I should enjoy the trip and take the wise direction I have been given. I have addressed the bushings and still grind into 1st, occasionally have to double clutch into 3rd , and feel trapped when trying to shift out of 5th. So grinding, double clutchs and trapped sound like I should grab the nearest tranny, go to a drag show, and enjoy the Evil being shown to me. If not the DVD then actually sending the unit in to be rebuilt is the ticket. Yes/No? (and yes I do enjoy puns, much to the horror of my family and whatever friends I have left)
Dr Evil
The big ticket item is a new 1st slider = $500. I often have good used that will last a long time for much less, but the $500 part is the stumbler for many. I always work on the price with people as I want them happy, driving and dont just do this for the $$ smile.gif
76-914

C'mon Doc, you know everything is more expensive, here in CA. 2nds on the Doc's video.
McMark

It's a great deal, no doubt. beerchug.gif
Racing916
Dr. Evil,

Did you get my email about a rebuild? Let me know.

Thanks,
Steve
Richard Casto
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Nov 16 2011, 04:41 PM) *

That totally depends on why you're rebuilding it. The following assumes you've inspected and/or replaced any bushings in the shifter linkage before you suspect the transaxle of bad behavior.

If you're just sealing it up because it's leaking all over the floor then a gasket kit will be nearly all you'll need. If you have to replace bearings and / sliders / spiders / dog teeth, it'll be "a bunch". If it's only a synchronizer or two and a gasket kit then a few hundred should do it. Can't really tell until you get in there.

agree.gif

Cost can be reasonable if you just focus on what is broken or worn beyond reuse, or astronomic if you just decide to replace all wear items (even if still serviceable).

I list prices on my website. You can PM or email me specific question. smile.gif

Richard

Dr Evil
QUOTE(Racing916 @ Nov 16 2011, 11:03 PM) *

Dr. Evil,

Thanks,
Steve

Nope. confused24.gif
Email at MakeMy914Go at yahoo
Racing916
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 17 2011, 07:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Racing916 @ Nov 16 2011, 11:03 PM) *

Dr. Evil,

Thanks,
Steve

Nope. confused24.gif
Email at MakeMy914Go at yahoo

Email sent... Thanks!
Dr Evil
Email received, answer sent smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.