Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alien down & out in Gaylord, Mi
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BS Chairman
IN NEED OF YOUR HELP!
Due to the loss of the Alien's oil pump, it is now stranded at the Super 8 in Gaylord, Mi. Rick has requested me to located anyone, or who has a friend or relative in the Gaylord, Mi area to watch over the Alien for him.
Please contact Rick on his cell # 218-260-9615 or
cell #218-428-3538. Rick is traveling the northern part of Mi which has few towers. If can't be reached please keep trying both numbers.
Thank you for your help
BS Chairman
Gary Stellmach
248-356-8987
Brad Roberts
keep this near the top until he gets some help.

B
vortrex
geez what a place to break down, not much up there at all.
BS Chairman
They are in a rental car. The 914 is in lower Michigan.
Sorry for not listing all the info.
Jeroen
bad news...
sad.gif
seanery
yup, this sucks.
sad.gif
BS Chairman
Has anyone contacted Rick yet?
Hawk
bump wink.gif
GaroldShaffer
We were just up there a week ago on vacation. The in-laws have some friends near there. I will keep trying to contact Rick and find out what the cars status is.

I don't know these people all that well but they are a nice older (mid 60ish) couple. I can't speak for them, but I think they would be ok with Ricks car at their place until he can get it back on the road again. If you here from Rick please call me at 219-762-3179. I will keep trying to reach him.

-Garold
rich brennick
Just got off the horn with Rick;
He's prepared to roll out of home tomorrow to retrieve.
I'm plan B: I offered to grab it and trailer it home and garage it if he can't get it.
But I will run up tomorrow to check on it.

He's in good hands...

Rich and Amy Brennick
rick 918-S
Hey all,

We made it home in the rental car. But not without incident. A guy blew a stop light and hit us in the right front wheel! This has been a trying day. I just spoke with Rich Brennick. He offered to drive by the Gaylord Super 8 hotel and check on the car tomorrow for me. I'm sure it will be fine there but I'm sure you all will understand my concern. He also offered to pick it up and take it to his place if we can't make it back to get it right away.

BTW: Rich, Sandy and I really enjoyed hanging with you and your wife. It was one of the highlights of our day.

The 918-S was running perfect at about 75 mph. suddenly there was a loud squeeeel for about a second. I stabbed the clutch and the engine stopped. I'm very watchful of the gauges so I know I had about 150 psi on the gauge just prior to the failure. The belt was still on all pulleys but it was chewed up. I loosen the tensioner and checked for a siezed water pump first. That was ok. Then I tried to turn the oil pump. NO GO! DRATS! The local highway patrol stopped and gave us a lift off the freeway.

Ever try to rent a car on Sunday? We spent some time on the cell and located a car about 8 blocks from the conveinence store we were at. (very lucky!)
We bought a tow strap and towed the car off the freeway to the Super 8 lot.
Just then Gary called to check up on us.

GARY! WE LOVE YOU MAN!

Sandy and I both HAVE TO work monday. But were taking Tuesday off and leaving Monday night to recover the car. Gaylord MI. is about 480 miles if we cross the Upper Peninsula. (55 mph and lots of lake shore towns dropping the limit to 30 mph) We figured we could get the car and be home for dinner on Tuesday.

I plan to post all about the wonderful people we met. But I will have to wait until late in the week. I hope all understand. Don't bomb me with questions now please. I have a full plate and I will need to focus on work and getting the car home.

I will say I met some of the most caring and feeling people you could imagine this weekend. Thank you all.

Thank you all! wub.gif
Gint
Sorry to hear this news Rick. I'm glad you and Sandy got home OK though.
rick 918-S
Hey Mike, cool_shades.gif You know what that means..... There will be an Alien Auto-topsy and I will be resurecting the old progress thread. Watch the counter climb! laugh.gif
SpecialK
Very sorry to hear about the Alien, beautiful car. wub.gif But at least it wasn't the Alien that got smacked by the DA ar15.gif running the stop sign! Hope the damage to the powerplant is minimal!
rhodyguy
shit. sorry to hear it rich. i'm sending you a pm.

kevin
Pnambic
QUOTE(Special_K @ Aug 9 2004, 12:14 AM)
Very sorry to hear about the Alien, beautiful car. wub.gif But at least it wasn't the Alien that got smacked by the DA ar15.gif running the stop sign! Hope the damage to the powerplant is minimal!

...that thought damn near turned my stomach... icon8.gif barf.gif
iamchappy
ET PHONE HOME.
I feel for you Rich, These projects take time to work the bugs out and right when you think you have, another surfaces. No way of predicting mechanical failures, They even have them on human spaceships.
Good luck be safe.

Chap
Joe Ricard
928 oil pump remove and replace = PITA. as tight as your engine compartment is I truly hope you can get at it from the firewall access. YOU SHOULD COUNT YOUR BLESSING THE TIMING BELT DID NOT BREAK. That euro motor is and interferance model. I have never heard of an oil pump siezing up on these engines. it is not a gear pump. 150PSI ???? hmm that is pretty hefty. 5 bar is 73 psi and when my motor was warm it would run just to the high side of 5 bar @ 3800 RPM. maybe 90 psi?
oh yea bump
Eric_Shea
My father has a pole barn and shop just South of Lansing. Don't know if that helps or not but you're welcome to park it there. Plenty of space.
Joe Ricard
Spent my break time searching for "how to's" about changing out an oil pump. Seems that this is such a rare occurence that nobody has posted about it. Guess you can call 928 International and talk to Mark Anderson. He should be able to give you insight as to what could cause such a thing. Plus they are real good about getting whatever part you need.

He may have heard of you and the Alien by now. Jim Bailey frequents Rennlist where I see you posted also. Sems the only guy to respond to your post there has the same view as I do. Only I am more sympathetic to the cause.
rich brennick
4:00 PM Monday:
Alien security patrol located victim...
Appeared to be sleeping soundly with no missing pieces...
Tucked away nicely...
Let the Super 8 counter gal know what was happening...
Cell VMs to both Rick and Sandy...
Mission complete.
Good Luck Rick.
Call if you need anything.
Rich Brennick
seanery
Rich,
It was nice meeting you Saturday. Your car is a beauty!
You need to post some more pics of it in the member thread!
I looooove that green! wub.gif
rick 918-S
Just spoke with Rich, Sandy and I took a vacation day Tuesday.She's a great road trip partner. Were leaving to recover the car later tonight.

Thanks Rich, I feel much better.
rich brennick
I got to thinking...
I could of had TWO flared V8 914s in my garage!
That would have been cool.
Have a safe trip, Rick and Sandy.

Seanery,
Also great to meet you. We'll see you all again.
Rich B
Tom Perso
This is really great to see - If it were dire straits, I would have been able to make it up there - it's about 4 hours away though.

Rich, good luck driving thru the UP. Have a Pastie for me... smile.gif

Later,
Tom
rick 918-S
I'm out of here! Going to recover the car. Thanks all!
seanery
be safe! driving.gif
rick 918-S
FYI all,

Sandy and I just returned home from a 980 mile round trip across the Upper Penninsula with trailer in tow. The car is home and so are we.

We were never so close to loosing our lifes as we were today. We were traffic traveling 65 mph. 4 cars infront of us stopped behind a car making a left turn. We stopped as well. I always try to leave lots of space between myself and the car directly infront of me just in case.

I looking in my rear view mirror and saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee closing on us fast! The guy did see we had stopped. He slammed on his brakes, I stabbed the gas and closed the distance between our car and the car infront of me.

This gave the Jeep just enough room to clear the end of the trailer as he swerved to the right shoulder! He passed 5 cars half on the blacktop shoulder and half on the tall grass shoulder. I dought his speed dropped under 55 mph.

If I hadn't have gunned the throttle the Alien, my trailer and the wifes Xterra would be history. There is no dought in my mine the driver of the Jeep would have died at that speed.

Anyone know anything about Karma ? confused24.gif

Glad to be home,

Rick and Sandy wavey.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Aug 10 2004, 07:24 PM)

damm glad you guys are OK!

one wonders how all these people reach retirement age the way they're driving around here ...
confused24.gif Andy
Gint
Holy Crap! Stay off the road for a few days Rick!
krk
Yowza Rich!

I've seen two things piling up in a rear view mirror and there is not much time or room to move -- (mine were trivial in this context!) -- very GLAD to hear you guys are alright!

And yeh, it's good to have the car home/etc smile.gif

kim.
Hawk
We all truly appreciate the effort you and Sandy made by coming all that way to share the Alien and your company with us at the MWC. Hope its a better run for you next year (Northwest Airlines?). The 2 trophies should be some consolation wink.gif
-hawk
Pnambic
A good friend of mine's husband used to drag race an awesome 68 Camaro locally. He was pretty good, but not national or anything. He had just got the car finished after a major engine upgrade and was trailering it to a race. He stopped at a stop light when something very similar happened. Some kid in daddy's Dodge Ram hit him in the rear going about 55 mph, totalled the trailer, the camaro and the Chevy z71 he was driving. Broke his back and put him in the hospital for several months. The kid got a few scratches and bruises.

No doubt your attentiveness saved you and your wife a great deal of hurt. Be safe!
driving.gif
watsonrx13
Glad you and Sandy made it back safely. biggrin.gif

I've always driven small cars (Miata, Bugeye Sprite, Morgan Plus 8, MG midget, others) and I learned a long time ago to leave plenty of space between my car and the car in front and to pay attention to the rear view mirror. I can't count the number of times I've had to move forward to allow an inatttentive driver more room to slow down. The space has also allowed me to zoom around any car that might have broken down.
aircooledboy
Hey Rick,

Glad you guys made it home. Damn, having an 8 conversion break down unexpectedly far from home, what a drag. I can't imaging what that must have been like. laugh.gif

I really enjoyed our brief talk at MWC. I hope you get the Alien up and on it's feet quickly. My daughter hasn't stopped talking about it. I heard her telling one of her little friends about "the Alien car" monday. It was priceless.
redshift
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Aug 10 2004, 10:24 PM)

Rick and Sandy wavey.gif

Yep, mine was run over by my Dogma..

wink.gif

Sorry bout the problems buddy! Glad you got it home... somewhat safely... :-0

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.