Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New fuel pump, location. psi, gph?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
broomhandle
So I am 85% sure my fuel pump is going out, my PO said he took it off his el camino anyways...

I do not want a re-built one, nor to pay 400 bucks from my local parts store..

I have been looking at universal pumps.

My question is. I have a 1.8 with a D-Jet from a 1.7. and I was wondering how much GPH and PSI is needed...

And, I have seen guys install them in the front trunk. Where? and is this the best location? seams like it...

My location is under the car, on the batt side, and i do not like that idea.

and last, dose anybody have good brands? and where to get them at a fair price?
JawjaPorsche
I installed mine on the firewall. See photo. Solved my vapor lock problems.
McMark
I don't know what it was called, nor do I have a link, but someone suggested and bought a pump that worked fine.

BTW, I've taken apart and 'fixed' both types of FI pumps in the last month. It can be done.
broomhandle
what usually fails on them?

I kinda want to find the right pump though. thats why i am wondering the GPH and PSI
underthetire
I used a generic one for a 325bmw from the late 80"s? Search napa fuel pump on the forum, there is another one that was found as well.
underthetire
here
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=napa+fuel+pump
914_teener
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Nov 16 2011, 07:31 PM) *

I installed mine on the firewall. See photo. Solved my vapor lock problems.

I put mine in this same exact location away from the HE's. Works fine and I have run the car in 100 plus temps...no problems.
broomhandle
So nobody know what PSI is needed? or how much gallons per hour?

sounds like its around 50PSI?

that is cool a BMW 325 pump will work, and 50 bucks is a good deal. but, sumit also has a few with higher than 50 PSI. dont know if that would be good or bad....

McMark

I'm pretty sure the info is in the Haynes. Go look.
clow
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Nov 16 2011, 11:31 PM) *

that is cool a BMW 325 pump will work, and 50 bucks is a good deal. but, sumit also has a few with higher than 50 PSI. dont know if that would be good or bad....

30 psi is recommended. Any more than that and the injectors won't really spray the fuel. Of course this can be controlled by the regulator if you are using a 50 psi pump. I don't think i would get much more than that. I am not sure the GPH though.
McMark
You need more potential than what you run at the injector. So a 30psi pump would be too 'small'. The stock pump runs beyond 40 psi (which is what we're running on the 2432 Type IV).
clow
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 17 2011, 09:29 AM) *

You need more potential than what you run at the injector. So a 30psi pump would be too 'small'. The stock pump runs beyond 40 psi (which is what we're running on the 2432 Type IV).

Sorry, thats what I was trying to say. The psi at the injectors should be around 30psi but the pump can be anything over as this will be controlled at the regulator.

Cheers,

Clow
Mark Henry
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 16 2011, 09:34 PM) *

BTW, I've taken apart and 'fixed' both types of FI pumps in the last month. It can be done.

Repairing is easy, many times it's just crap in the pump, but where do you source the "o-ring"?
Most of the time that leaks after you put it back together. I've never been able to source the correct size 'o-ring'.
Deep6
QUOTE(broomhandle @ Nov 17 2011, 01:31 AM) *

Is the Bosch pump for the 75-76 rated at 100-110 psi?? excess goes back to the tank anyway.
Cevan
QUOTE(Deep6 @ Nov 17 2011, 07:56 PM) *

QUOTE(broomhandle @ Nov 17 2011, 01:31 AM) *

Is the Bosch pump for the 75-76 rated at 100-110 psi?? excess goes back to the tank anyway.

I believe all the L-Jet cars ('74/'75) had the pumps up front. The pumps have two ports (not three), one in and one out. IIRC, the '75/'76 2 liter cars also had the pump up front. I'm guessing it was also a two port pump.
Deep6
I am getting ready to move/replace my fuel pump up front under the tank and replace the long gas lines through the tunnel while the tank is out for cleaning.

I want to find the mounting hardware from a 75-76 car if anyone has one for sale.

I want to be able to keep the 1974 d-jet FI and use the 2-port less expensive pump and not deal the vapor lock issues.

George
tod914
Source yourself a late style feed nipple (8mm) and compression nut from a later style tank. You'll solve some plumbing issues by doing so.
broomhandle
I think my pump is a universal pump anyways. My PO was a chevy guy, so he fixed it like a chevy.

I have a D-Jet on a 1.8

Ive been looking around and it looks like 50psi is what is the norm....

it randomy runs like crap on the freeway and the pump is whining here and there, and i have even yelled at it and gave it a time out, but its still whining....

McMark
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 17 2011, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 16 2011, 09:34 PM) *

Repairing is easy, many times it's just crap in the pump, but where do you source the "o-ring"?
Most of the time that leaks after you put it back together. I've never been able to source the correct size 'o-ring'.

I've just reused the orings and everything has been fine. The late style needs extra care during disassembly because deforming the housing can't be undone.
underthetire
Are they actually o-rings? Working on foreign cnc equipment, I have bags of different sizes. Once matched up, would be easy to order from my supplier. Usually .10 to .20 cents a piece at most for anything that could fit in a pump. The big 300 + mm ones get a little more expensive.
McMark
If I have time next week (and remember) I'll take one my my other ones apart and measure the o-rings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.