Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Uber Rare 914-6 Rear Calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Eric_Shea
For sale is a pair of rare 914-6 calipers completely restored to their preeminent glory.

For those looking these days, it was probably six months before I stumbled upon these. They have become rarer than hens teeth as of late. What you get with a 914-6 caliper is:

* A slightly larger caliper that bolts on to any standard 914 rear arm.
* A larger 911 rear pad size.
* A pair of larger 38mm pistons (again, same as the 911 rear through 1983).
* A caliper that will allow you to run a larger front caliper and retain proper brake bias.
* A caliper that can easily be spaced to become the uber, uber rare 914-6/GT caliper... all with factory parts (inquire within).
* A caliper that uses stock handbrake cables.
* A true solution for those who want a little more brake in their 914.

As mentioned above, these have become quite rare lately. Part of the reason is the Ferrari rear caliper market has gone through the roof as well, dragging this caliper along with it. If you've been wanting a pair for your project or, or your original 6 calipers have gone missing... these are for you. Asking $1,595.00 plus $10.50 shipping to U.S. destinations. $26.55 shipping to Canad and Mexico. $43.23 to Europe and Asia.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ewdysar
A month ago, I would have grabbed these in a heartbeat. Eric's got all of my new brakes at his shop right now.

If you've been looking for them, you know that this is a good price. Don't let this opportunity pass you by...
BajaXJ92
drooley.gif
Cairo94507
Hey, those look just like mine only a little different....

Click to view attachment

Mine seem to be a little wider. Seriously, Eric is the man when it comes to brakes. I love looking at these and will hate to bolt them up when the times comes but bolt them up I will. I am pleased to have these beautiful parts for my car.
URY914
That's real gold, right? biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
I will have a set in my hands soon, right? when it happens, I will close the shop, draw the curtains and have a private moment with them alone. then I will put them on another man's car, take pictures and dream of calipers gone away sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Soon is a relative time frame biggrin.gif. They are at the machine shop now getting the bleeder mod. done (Ferrari calipers). When they get back they get plating and will be lovingly assembled by my tender falanges.
Eric_Shea
That's real gold, right?

Yes. Which makes them entirely too heavy for your car. Might I suggest something a little lighter and more cost effective?

IPB Image

They're "all-the-rave" in Canada right now.
eric9144
If you've been wanting to do this upgrade then you should totally jump on this deal!

sean_v8_914 I can make that 'fantasy' happen and might if I can't get my project rolling soon...just be gentle with them and clean 'em off before they go on biggrin.gif
Luke M
Hey Eric,

I got a set of 914-6 calipers waiting to come off my six. How much to rebuild them to 914-6 Gt specs? I have a set of rear 911 M calipers that the hardware could be used from. Or I may just sell them and upgrade to Boxster rear calipers.
stugray
Eric,

Very interesting.....

When I purchased my 914, I got a box of calipers.
One pair of fronts look as nice as that set, but have 38mm pistons in them.

I assumed that they were from a 911 and the PO was going to upgrade.
Perhaps I was wrong.....
Any distinguishing numbers or ways to identify them as 911 or 914-6?
I will send pictures once i get home.

I sent the pics to you once before, but the quality was poor.

Stu
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 17 2011, 10:33 AM) *

That's real gold, right?

Yes. Which makes them entirely too heavy for your car. Might I suggest something a little lighter and more cost effective?

IPB Image

After seeing this picture I outfitted all four corners with this system. I ended up crashing at the first stop and will be having my lawyers contact you ASAP poke.gif

av-943.gif
ewdysar
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Nov 17 2011, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 17 2011, 10:33 AM) *

That's real gold, right?

IPB Image

After seeing this picture I outfitted all four corners with this system. I ended up crashing at the first stop and will be having my lawyers contact you ASAP poke.gif

av-943.gif

Apparently you did not adjust the pad clearances correctly, so I would have to say that this was an installation/operator error. Given that, I don't think that Mr Shea is liable..... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
(us E's have to stick together)
IronHillRestorations
It's not Mr Shea's fault you can't squeeze hard enough.
ewdysar
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 17 2011, 12:02 PM) *

Eric,

Very interesting.....

When I purchased my 914, I got a box of calipers.
One pair of fronts look as nice as that set, but have 38mm pistons in them.

I assumed that they were from a 911 and the PO was going to upgrade.
Perhaps I was wrong.....
Any distinguishing numbers or ways to identify them as 911 or 914-6?
I will send pictures once i get home.

I sent the pics to you once before, but the quality was poor.

Stu

If your loose calipers have 38mm pistons, they are most likely 911 rears, probably M calipers.

The stock 914 calipers had 42mm pistons in the front and 33mm pistons in the back. The piston areas were 1385 sq mm and 855 sq mm respectively. This gave the brakes a natural 61/39 bias towards the front brakes, that's 56% more power to the fronts than the backs.

The 914/6 and 911s had 48mm fronts and 38mm backs with areas of 1809 sq mm and 1134 sq mm. That worked out to a natural 61/39 bias towards the front brakes, weird huh. idea.gif

If you use 48mm fronts (911) with 33mm backs (stock 914) your brake bias shifts to 68/32 which puts 112% more stopping power to the fronts compared to the backs. That makes the rears largely ineffective. This matches what 914 owners have observed ever since they started upgrading their brakes.

So if you want to use the better 911 48mm front brakes, your best bet is to find 38mm rears. If you want to retain your stock e-brake setup, that narrows your choices to 914-6 (non-vented) or 914-6GT (vented). You can also do slight modifications to Ferrari 308 rears (also vented) and they'll work the same. The regular 914-6 calipers can be spaced for vented rotors

The problem is that all of these 38mm rear calipers with cable e-brakes are almost impossible to find. But wait, there is beautifully restored set available right now, right in this thread.

So if you're thinking about 911 fronts, well balanced brakes and keeping your 914 style e-brake, now is your chance. These opportunities only come up a couple of times a year.
Krieger
Act now... supplies are limted. If you call our 800 number in the next hour Eric will include two sham-wows. beer3.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 17 2011, 11:33 AM) *

That's real gold, right?

IPB Image

You're about 3 years too late, Grasshopper. I've been running those on all 4 corners for 3 years now. rolleyes.gif
Eric_Shea
Damn Eric... You're hired!
QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 17 2011, 10:53 AM) *

Hey Eric,

I got a set of 914-6 calipers waiting to come off my six. How much to rebuild them to 914-6 Gt specs? I have a set of rear 911 M calipers that the hardware could be used from. Or I may just sell them and upgrade to Boxster rear calipers.

Great question...whats the 'cost' to redo a set of -6 rears?

Eric_Shea
http://www.pmbperformance.com/calipers.html

biggrin.gif
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 17 2011, 08:54 PM) *

Thanks!
porker passion
PM sent
Eric_Shea
Sale Pending...
sean_v8_914
ya'lls nasty little tease. shame on yous
Eric_Shea
SOLD
racerbvd
Congrats, biggrin.gif
stugray
Eric,

If you have the time, please tell me what these are:

IPB Image

The pistons are definitely larger than stock 914.

And other pics, from here:

http://s366.photobucket.com/albums/oo101/s...ray/914_brakes/

Any chance these are 914-6s, or just 911s?

Stu
Eric_Shea
Those are early 914 front calipers with 42mm pistons. Not good... sad.gif

One appears to have been rebuilt by Rons buddies at A1 Cardone hence the dual bleeder arrangement.
stugray
worth anything?

I was about to use them until I measured the pistons and didnt want to mess with my balance.

Stu
rudedude
Eric,

What do you mean by "not good" for the early calipers?

Jule
SLITS
QUOTE(rudedude @ Nov 23 2011, 03:09 PM) *

Eric,

Jule

Speaking for Moroni Boy ... he is probably commenting on the quality of rebuilding done by A1/Cardone and other production rebuilders.

He could also be commenting on the fact that the early calipers are different from the later fronts and are specific in their fitment.

I wasn't aware that A1/Cardone drilled the fronts for the extra bleeder, but am aware they did drill the rears for the second bleeder (converting single bleeder to dual bleeder).

Eric_Shea
worth anything?

Not really...

As Stu mentions above... it messes with your bias. 911's didn't have the 42mm piston in the rear until 1984 and that was the first 911 ever to have a pressure regulator to prevent rear lock up.

For a 914 with stock brakes 42mm front and 33mm rear makes the most sense. If you want them to be better, get really good pads and bed them properly.

For a 914-6 or a modified brake system stick with 48mm front and 38mm rear or, in the case of 951 calipers etc., go with the complete system that Porsche developed and work on a handbrake solution.

That said, Stu's solution (aside from finding 914-6 rear calipers) is to get a 911 rear caliper and remove the spacer (or use with the spacer and go vented rotors). The 911 rear calipers are cast off the same mold as those (early 914 fronts) but they have the proper 38mm pistons. Vented rotors add weight were they are not needed in 99% of the cases.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.