Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! Anyone have a '70-'71 junker?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
My ignition switch key tumbler mechanism broke. The rear most part of the tumbler mechanism just desintegrated and now I'm down till I can find one.

I have complete ignition switch assemblies from later 914s, but they will not work on my '71. I even re-keyed one of them to match my key thinking I could use it to replace mine, but the early 70-71 switches are just different enough not to work. I tried every combination of parts of old and new and nothing will work. headbang.gif

I need the mechanical portions of the ignition switch and I'm not sure where to get the parts?? Does anybody have one laying around or have a 70-71 saw-zall candidate?
SirAndy
QUOTE(East coaster @ Aug 8 2004, 07:50 PM)
I need the mechanical portions of the ignition switch and I'm not sure where to get the parts??

your best bet is either a member here on the bbs or the usual parts/dismantler outlets.
HPH, Partsheaven, EASY ....

you are correct, none of the later switches is even close to the '70-'71 ...

i did switch to a later ('73) steering column on my car, but trust me, that was *much* more work than i had ever anticipated. don't go there unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

wink.gif Andy
i love porsche
ive got a 71 parts car with the column in tact...umm...im not sure of the exact part that you need....show me a picture or something and ill try to get it for you =]
East coaster
Here's the part that broke.........
East coaster
Here's the part I need......

I think it would be easier to go with the whole piece than try to disassemble to get the broken part?
SirAndy
QUOTE(East coaster @ Aug 8 2004, 08:21 PM)
I think it would be easier to go with the whole piece than try to disassemble to get the broken part?

yes, get the whole cylinder with all the hardware. then use the key-lock/tumblers out of yours.

wink.gif Andy
cooltimes
I had a 1970 1.7. Switch went bad about 3 or 4 years back.
I changed out the whole ignition switch from the electrical input under the rear top of the steering wheel. The replacement switch I used was bought from John Larson, that is that 914Clubber everyone called Kaptain Krusty. Had to cut off the electrical plug that came on the NEW part and spice the wires back into the circuitry. When I acknowledge the part worked good, someone, MikeZ I believe it was, said you could pick one up at any VW parts vendor. Why not give that a try if no one says different. The new one will probably have a new key.

Anyone care to chime in, if this is correct or not, and give East Coaster a clue if it can be found locally where he lives. Mine cost me $35 including shipping I think but could have been $35 plus shipping. Old men like me forget important things.

Cooley
markb
The 71 that I just picked up has a new VW cylinder in it. Plugged right in. Works OK so far, but I haven't got ALL the wires hooked up yet. Gotta make the car run first. It came real close today...... sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.