Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone looked at this car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JStroud
There's a white 73 914-4 2.0 on craigslist for $4500 in redwood city ca.
This car has been for sale over a year, wondering if anyone here has looked at it, and could tell me about it. I'm looking for a white one but its a bit of a drive if it's a POS.

Would have put a link, but don't know how from my phone.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jsconst @ Nov 17 2011, 07:31 AM) *

This car has been for sale over a year, wondering if anyone here has looked at it, and could tell me about it. I'm looking for a white one but its a bit of a drive if it's a POS.

Thanks

Jeff

Ask for the VIN and see if it's already in the VIN database for starters.
tradisrad
Here is one with a body kit. I dont think this is the one you are talking about...

I dont see one for $4500 on CL right now. However I think a white one has been for sale at High Performance House. I was there yesterday, but paid no attention to his cars.
dangrouche
QUOTE(jsconst @ Nov 17 2011, 08:31 AM) *

Thanks

Jeff
i have not seen the one you are talking about; believe Richard Bontempi is the owner as that car is parked in the driveway of HPH. Based on the CL ad, I would say that the interior (seat covers) would need attention. Just call Richard at HPH directly. He is a stand-up credible guy, so if after you talk to him, I would not hesitate in making the drive to check it out. He will likely be firm on price cuz he knows these cars inside and out.
Valy
Has rust in the usual places, i.e. hell hole.
Thestigz06
Gotta be something majorly wrong with it, its been up there since i bought my car in july of 2010
McMark
If you're talking about this car.
IPB Image

It was originally yellow. Not what you're looking for. Look 'inside' the holes in the vin sticker. Always a dead giveaway for a color change car.
IPB Image

Also, under the battery tray and in the hell-hole area is also yellow.
IPB Image
McMark
Found the one you're looking at.

It's definitely at HPH. You can give them a call. Rich is known for having everything you could ever want, if you're willing to pay his price.
JStroud
Thanks for all the responses, I sent him an email asking for more info, and pics.

Jeff
Gint
You should just make the trip to go look at it. Have Rich tour you through the place. 914 stuff up the ying... And there's a pretty decent little taqueria a block or two down the road.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 18 2011, 04:50 AM) *

You should just make the trip to go look at it. Have Rich tour you through the place. 914 stuff up the ying... And there's a pretty decent little taqueria a block or two down the road.

agree.gif Rich could probably 'build' a few complete original cars with his stash. I once bought rear swaybar bolts from him. I didn't ask the price, just if he had them. Got them the next day. $75 each... blink.gif Still, Rich has it and that price is worth it if you have to have it and there aren't many places to get it...
JStroud
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 18 2011, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 18 2011, 04:50 AM) *

agree.gif Rich could probably 'build' a few complete original cars with his stash. I once bought rear swaybar bolts from him. I didn't ask the price, just if he had them. Got them the next day. $75 each... blink.gif Still, Rich has it and that price is worth it if you have to have it and there aren't many places to get it...

Thanks, I've heard of his place, but hadn't made it out to check it out. Sounds like I should take a drive, pick up some taqueria. beer.gif

Hey rob you better carry your fire extinguisher today, heard Renos on fire.
Hopefully not near you.

Found another one Mark, bringing some pictures with me today.

Thanks again everyone
Jeff
underthetire
Shoot, I'd let my 73 go for that. Easy. L80e car, but has at least one re-paint. Not great shape, but has a few goodies.
Rand
I looked at it a few months ago. It ran like crap and wasn't in $4500 condition. I was amazed he showed it that way - seems like a shop like HPH would fix it before trying to sell it in that condition. The ad said "good running transportation car" so it was a pretty serious disappointment after driving a few hours to see it. Not sure why the ad mentions the odo showing 21k miles, because condition indicates at least 121k.

Apparently he replaced a couple fuel injectors since then, so maybe it runs better now. I ran away from the car, but enjoyed touring HPH and visiting with Rich.

Good thing about my trip to the bay though, I found my $1900 car on the way home. smile.gif
JStroud
Thanks for all the responses, doesn't matter now, I bought a white 74 from a member here today, pick it up on Sunday piratenanner.gif

Jeff
pt_700
congratulations on the acquisition!

i'd consider easy (european auto salvage yard) as an alternate source for parts in the bay area. years ago, i got my sideshifter conversion parts from them (emeryville) and while i can't remember the price, it must've been reasonable as i was only slightly poorer then than now...
Drums66
....I liked it until....I saw under the engine lid(single progressive CARB) poke.gif barf.gif
laugh.gif shades.gif bye1.gif(not too crazy about the bumpers either)
just me folks...just me!
EdwardBlume
That car has been listed FOREVER!!! I like Rich as is, but its gets old seeing the same ad for years.
tomh
The car has rust issues
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.