Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5000 mile/winter project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
I havae about 5000 miles on my 2056 now, with no troubles other than chasing down some starting issues that were electrical in nature. Its a 2056,, webcam 494, webered motor. Stock pushrods. Runs great, but I have always thought my valve noise on the high side. My valve train geo is a bit off ideal, but about half the folks i talked to said good enough, so I left it at that.

Now that winter is coming, i am thinking I might pull the engine, and go to chromolly pushrods, and optimizing the geometry. Should not be too hard, i think i can even leave most of the tin on it.

Any issues with doing this on an already broken in engine? Should I also convert to the 911 adjusters?

What would ya'll do in this situation?
clow
Oh pushrods turns to valve train which turns to a new -6 which turns to rust repairs. Then its not such a 'just winter' project anymore poke.gif beerchug.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(clow @ Nov 17 2011, 12:07 PM) *

Oh pushrods turns to valve train which turns to a new -6 which turns to rust repairs. Then its not such a 'just winter' project anymore poke.gif beerchug.gif

Ha! Already did all the metal work last year, and a 6 is out of my budget!
r_towle
yes, it is worth the effort
jeffdon
Starting to plan when I want to do this, and looking over parts. Yikes, the 911 adjusters are pricey. Coupled with the fact that I would need to source some 1.7 rockers, its not the cheapest project in the world.

So, would it be a waste of time to ONLY do the pushrods, and retain stock adjusters? What about the CB performance elephant feet? There seems to be a range of opinions on those. If I am not going to the swivel foot adjusters, should I not bother with the pushrods?
Jake Raby
We just scored a train load of 1.7 rockers and will have them on sale at an unbleievably low price around the first of the year after we get them cleaned up..
FYI
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

YES,YES, and YES. Get all parts from Jake , he mite be pricey BUT

his experance & knowledge are beyond the capacity of all mortals.

As it it written , so shall it be !!!! Really amazing resource !!!!

Dave slap.gif
jeffdon
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 17 2011, 08:28 AM) *

We just scored a train load of 1.7 rockers and will have them on sale at an unbleievably low price around the first of the year after we get them cleaned up..
FYI

Thanks, Jake. Will keep an eye on your store. I guess I will have to hold off on the momo wheel and spring for 911 adjusters!
Cevan
I think you can assume your valvetrain geometry is less than ideal, given that you changed at least the pistons and the cam and used the stock pushrods. Did you check your geometry during your build? I vote for redoing that and using chrome moly pushrods cut to the proper length. While your in there, you might as well install the swivel foot adjusters with the 1.7 rockers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.