Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: are front early bumper rubbers discontinued?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Unfortunately my neighbor accidentally backed his car into my 914 last weekend and caused some damage. Its not too bad but will need to be repaired by the insurance and I need a new rubber piece for the front bumper (my car is a 72), the bumper will be repainted along with the front left fender and need a new lens too....

Are the rubbers bumper pieces still available new? Can't seem to find one here. Was looking for a new or mint OEM piece if available...I also need to prove the value of the part as well for the insurance adjuster...

I am still in shock, just got the car on the road 3 weeks ago and this happens

sad.gif
Mike Bellis
Here is an NOS one...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/2707510347.html
ConeDodger
Not exactly sure what you are looking for Jamie but I suspect it is the bumper "top" rubber not the tits on the front? If so, Mikey914 has reproduced them and they should be available through 914Rubber.com.

Oh, and they are pretty much perfect...
markb
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 17 2011, 07:53 PM) *

Mikey914 has reproduced them and they should be available through 914Rubber.com.

agree.gif

Now, ya see what happens when ya take it off the jackstands? dry.gif

av-943.gif
nsr-jamie
Yes, that is the part I am in need of along with a new turn signal lens...sorry I didn't get the name right, thats what happens when you live overseas for so many years like I have now. Thanks for helping me out with the terminology. I will probably have to order from Mikey914. Always pleased with his stuff

Just too bad about my car

sad.gif

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 18 2011, 12:53 PM) *

Not exactly sure what you are looking for Jamie but I suspect it is the bumper "top" rubber not the tits on the front? If so, Mikey914 has reproduced them and they should be available through 914Rubber.com.

nsr-jamie
Thank you very much for that link. Thats a lot more than I was expecting but I could use that link as proof to show the value of them and hopefully the adjuster will give me a price close to that. Thats exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't find anything on the AA site...if anybody sees a new OEM front one on some site with a picture and price please post it so I can use that as well...I will have to print these out and use them to get as much as I can out of the insurance adjusters

Thanks

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Nov 18 2011, 12:52 PM) *

nsr-jamie
Car was never on jackstands. It was a good solid car that I brought over from Canada to Japan and it took 3 years of time and much money to pass the strict inspections here in Japan and than the paperwork and the fees for the inspection were a lot of money. When I finally passed I was so excited and even won the rights to 914 license plates in Japan. I drove it only a few times and than my neighbors wife who is in her mid 70's backed her Toyota into it while trying to park in her spot. My car was parked next to hers. Her insurance will cover it but I need to show proof of how much everything is. I am very sad now and in shock and your little av-943.gif smile mark in your quote doesn't make me feel any better. Thanks

QUOTE(markb @ Nov 18 2011, 12:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 17 2011, 07:53 PM) *

Mikey914 has reproduced them and they should be available through 914Rubber.com.

agree.gif

Now, ya see what happens when ya take it off the jackstands? dry.gif

av-943.gif

Tom_T
Jaimie - too bad! sad.gif

Try TC'sGarage.com for the original type of Hella front TS lenses. I got some there & they're not the made in Mexico flavor, but from Germany & not too bad in price - IIRC less than $50 for a pair - including new screws with the little teeny washers as in OEM. There are Hella Hecho in Mexico & repro aftermarket lenses around for less (even on evil-bay for $26 pr.) - if you're budget constrained.

Mark's bumper top pads are better than OEM because they use better "rubber" than the original urethane & SS studs & inserts that won't rust (causing the dimpling on top) - like the carbon steel stuff used in OEM ones. They look exactly the same as OEM. IIRC they're about $375 vs. $695 for that OEM one on CL.

I'm not sure if that CL one is Rich Bontempi at HPH, but he had one on CL for awhile anyway, so you coald email or call him - if you absolutely must have OEM.

Also AA sells some repro ones similar to 914rubber's, which are made in SE Asia, which they could possibly ship from the Asian factory - if that's an issue in Japan. I suggest you directly email or call George at AA (not the staff) if this is a concern on shipping from Asia vs. USA - maybe related to the shipping costs, tariffs/customs, time or all of the above.

I've seen AA's & they look pretty much the same as 914rubber's/Mikey914's, but I bought 914rubber's F&R before AA had theirs & like them - but both look OEM & have the SS inserts & studs.

There are some options for you - Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
nsr-jamie
Thank you Tom !! As always you are so helpful, thank you !!

I actually found a NOS set of Euro front lenses here in Japan on the Yahoo Japan auctions (similar to EBAY) and the bodyshop who is taking care of the work and insurance details bought them for me, they cost around 125 for the pair but I am not paying for it. My bumper is fine but got scratched a bit and will be repainted and the LE spoiler craked but will be repaired as its fiberglass. The rubber on top took the most damage. The front left fender will be repainted. Plus the bodyshop said they will fix a small dent in my door that was there before for free so that is good news. Glad the person who hit me had good insurance. I even have this little courtesy car I am driving now till my teener comes home

Right now I am doing some research and finding prices on parts for the adjuster, the expensive prices are better for me as I can show this and ask for this amount.

I actually just placed an order with Mikey914 at rubber.com recently so maybe if I hurry up I can ask him to squeeze the bumper rubber in there.
markb
Jamie, no offense intended, I made a smart-assed remark that was supposed to be in fun. I'm sorry it didn't come across the way I intended.
rnellums
I know kansas914 found a place in Taiwan or somewhere that makes new bumpers to order out of stainless steel. IIRC they were very expensive, but look fantastic.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.