Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Price range for 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eric914
Have been reading the group for some time but this is my first post.

I have found a 1970 914 in a barn. It has not run in a number of years,
has typical rust under battery tray and a cracked windshield but besides
this looks to be in decent condition. No other visible rust, doors open
and close nice, door gap looks good, no sag. Has alloy wheels and decent crome bumpers.

Any thought on price range?

Also the same person has a shell that has had a roll cage welded in and
all rust fixed. Very clean. It is a 1973 shell. Thoughts on its
worth?

Thanks for the help.

Eric
Allan
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Joe Bob
Non running, broken windshield, $500 just on Rennlist..... w00t.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 9 2004, 08:33 AM)
Non running, broken windshield, $500 just on Rennlist.....

he is NOT in CA, AZ, or NV.

i'm happy you have an infinite supply of rust-free cars to choose from in your back yard, but the northeast is different.

that $500 CA car is $2500, delivered to Rochester, NY.
SLITS
'73 2.0 non running - bad cancer - $200

'74 2.0 non running - good body - bad paint - $300

'74 2.0 running - good body - bad interior - $600
GWN7
Welcome... beerchug.gif

A non runner?...All the parts there? How much rust under the battery tray? Holes or just scally? Look underneath the car for more. Poke areas with a screwdriver to be sure. If all it needs is a windshield those run $100 to $250

As to the value.... as it's a non runner $200 to $1000 depending on how it looks.

The roller might be worth more depending on the cage (who built it and how it was built.

Pictures?
SLITS
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 9 2004, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 9 2004, 08:33 AM)
Non running, broken windshield, $500 just on Rennlist.....

he is NOT in CA, AZ, or NV.

i'm happy you have an infinite supply of rust-free cars to choose from in your back yard, but the northeast is different.

that $500 CA car is $2500, delivered to Rochester, NY.

CA to PA shipping $795.00 - been there did that.

Apologies from the non-snowy, no salt, politically correct West Coast for the lack of suitable bodies in the East. rolleyes.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 9 2004, 08:38 AM)

i'll take 4 of those at that price, delivered to Phildelphia, please ...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 9 2004, 08:50 AM)

how long ago ?

lessee -- 3000 mi / 5 mpg * $2/gal -- i make that $1200 in fuel cost alone ...
Once you have a good feel for this car and you think you are going to get it, also try to add up the costs of getting it running again.

IE- if you buy the car for say 1500 and then need to put 6k into it to get it up and running well again, than figure that into the equation.

When I found my car for example, it was also a more or less non-runner in a barn, but after looking it over big time I also knew that

-the body/frame was excellent
-interior was near perfect

-engine and tranny were freshly re-built and in good shape.

-I ended up paying around 3k for mine

Then it was a matter of doing all the little stuff to get it back on the road as a safe driver. And even then, I probably spent 2-4 k in parts and labor (for stuff that I didnt want to do my self.

-Good luck
beemie96

Are these actual cars for sale? I'm in the market for a mostly rust free shell to put all my bits into... inexpensive as possible of course.
GWN7
Are these actual cars for sale? I'm in the market for a mostly rust free shell to put all my bits into... inexpensive as possible of course.

Yep, you just have to look around. I bought one last year from just South of you for $200 (it did cost me $800 to bring it home tho) Originaly a CA car, Fuchs, glass hood, Momo wheel, 916 bumpers. Drove thru rainstorms and a tornado to get it.

Another option....Brad is offering to deliver a car to Indy in Oct for those that want.
eric914
Thanks for the input. I will be taking a look at the cars again this week. I will try to get some photos and will post them.

Eric
SLITS
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 9 2004, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 9 2004, 08:50 AM)

how long ago ?

lessee -- 3000 mi / 5 mpg * $2/gal -- i make that $1200 in fuel cost alone ...

Shipped a Ghia from Riverside, CA to PA - door to door - 3/25/04 - open carrier - 10 cars per trailer - delivery was 3 weeks - A-1 Auto transport.
SLITS
QUOTE(beemie96 @ Aug 9 2004, 10:00 AM)

These are cars I have bought.

Wrecked the $600.00 one by spinning out of control in water and slamming a concrete wall (didn't hurt the wall biggrin.gif )

The other two I bought in the last month. Every once in a while you run into "deals".

What are you looking to spend on a good body?
cooltimes
QUOTE(eric914 @ Aug 9 2004, 08:11 AM)
Have been reading the group for some time but this is my first post.

I have found a 1970 914 in a barn. It has not run in a number of years,
has typical rust under battery tray and a cracked windshield but besides
this looks to be in decent condition. No other visible rust, doors open
and close nice, door gap looks good, no sag. Has alloy wheels and decent crome bumpers.

Any thought on price range?

Also the same person has a shell that has had a roll cage welded in and
all rust fixed. Very clean. It is a 1973 shell. Thoughts on its
worth?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

You asked so I give my opinion. $400 for the 1st barn car as you describe.

I have owned 29 of these little jewels since Spring of 1970, 1st one new, and over 1/2 of them were bought for less than $400. All but 3 were licensed and driven. In the "get em off our property" demanded by my wife, the buyers were the benefactor to those looking for a 914. Even gave several away and the last one, a 1970 1.7, white, which ran, had nice appearance, good tires, was put out of sight for $100.
Treasure is always treasure, no matter what you pay. Be a 914 pirate and offer low. They can always refuse but you will normally get the treasure unless there are others that drive the price up when they know you have located a treasure.

Keep location of the barn to yourself until you commit an action to buy or pass.

Cooley
beemie96
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 9 2004, 10:15 AM)

These are cars I have bought.

Wrecked the $600.00 one by spinning out of control in water and slamming a concrete wall (didn't hurt the wall biggrin.gif )

The other two I bought in the last month.  Every once in a while you run into "deals".

What are you looking to spend on a good body?

Well, I don't really know. If I can get a car that doesn't need to see a body shop for the engine bay / longs / trunks, that just needs some surface rust prep and then a paintjob... around 2k with transport to Nashville will be where the wife will allow it.

I have an engine and an interior to put in it (the engine needs some love, but I want to play with that anyway, and there won't be much cost associated with that) I even have wheels that I like (8 spoke empi style)

Not sure how likely that is, though.

So, until I 'luck' into a deal like that, I am tearing mine down and assessing the work as I go.

Got any clues where to look? I am keeping an eye on the pelican site and this one...
SLITS
Your best bet is to ask here.

Next would be the Bird Board.

Next would be to check your local Recycler Newspaper.

"The truth, uhhh, teeners are out there"
cooltimes
Yep. They are out there. A good place to see 914's for sale nationally is:
www.traderonline.com

After determining years to search and car models, I searched using dollar amounts of from $50 to $2000 and found 9 of the 914's.

http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/ad...rchprocess.html

Of course you can add a higher dollar amount and find MANY MORE on this link or just search for 914's for sale and see what pops up. Usually your best deals are just around the corner in your own area.

Cooley
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.