Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New SoCal Porsche Center Announced
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
I picked up the following on one of my daily real estate newsletters, and was alerted to it by one of our PCA-OCR members attending the LA Auto Show pre-opening press day on Monday.

This site is near Cal State U Dominguez Hills in the LA's South Bay Area near the twin Ports of LA & Long Beach where the P-cars arrive, for those unfamiliar with the area. I know both the seller Watson Land Co. & their project/properties over there, as well as PCNA's Architect: Cooper Carey (local office is in OC) - both are good firms.

<snipped>
Porsche To Build 53-Acre Test Drive Facility in Carson
GlobeSt.com - Daily News Article

Last Updated: November 18, 2011 04:59pm ET
Porsche To Build 53-Acre Test Drive Facility in Carson
By Morris Newman

Click to view attachment

CARSON, CA-Porsche Cars North America revealed plans to build a 53-acre Porsche Experience Center in this city in south Los Angeles County. The “facility and road handling” course is the second to be announced in North America by the German automaker. In May, Porsche said it would build a similar facility in Atlanta, as part of the company’s national headquarters.

When completed, the Carson and Atlanta projects will be among five Porsche Experience Centers internationally, including the original Silverstone Circuit in Great Britain and others in Leipzig, Germany and Shanghai, China. The seller was Watson Land Co.; deal terms were not disclosed.

The test track will allow Porsche customers to test drive the high-performance cars on a closed track, allowing drivers to accelerate and achieve speeds not normally possible on public streets. The facility will also incorporate a sports science laboratory and training programs, ranging from heat acclimation training and hydration strategies to individual wellness assessments. Porsche also plans driver training and what it calls “car culture events” at the facility.

About 20 Porsche dealerships operate in Southern California, which is “our best market in North America,” says Nick Twork, Porsche manager of product communications.

The new Carson facility is located near the intersection of the [4]05 and 110 freeways, and also within a short distance of the Los Angeles International Airport. Construction is slated to start in summer 2012.

The Carson Porsche Experience Center will be designed by Atlanta-based architecture firm Cooper Carry, while the test tracks themselves are to be designed by two engineering firms, Giffels/IBI and Tilke Engineering.
<end snip>

Should be fun once it's in & operating! ...... popcorn[1].gif
JeffBowlsby
I wonder if they will host 914 owner groups on their road course... idea.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 18 2011, 12:10 PM) *

I wonder if they will host 914 owner groups on their road course... idea.gif

You can use the track if you buy a new Porsche. Otherwise track fees are $80,000. lol-2.gif
Tom_T
CORRECTION ON SITE LOCATION -
A developer colleague of mine who runs the 187 acre site on the south side of the 405 & in the SW quadrant of the 405/110 interchange (opposite the Goodyear Blimp facility & Carson Mall) clarified which site this will be at:

"This is on the Watson golf course piece (big giant golfer on freeway) just north of our project. Great for the area."

My buddy's project put in an interchange which serves both sites. I was unaware that Watson Land held that golf course property, and originally thought it might be on his development site on which we both worked (at different times for different project proponents).

I think that they'll open both SoCal & Atlanta to PCA events, so that's probably the way to get a 914 event in there Jeff - without the $80k fee Elliot mentioned! dry.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I'd rather have Ascot Park back ............................

The Cap'n
SLITS
I'd rather have Riverside Raceway back. evilgrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 18 2011, 02:42 PM) *

Me too - and OCR's Drag Strip too, where my uncle held the class title in his mostly stock 58 Vette for a few years in the 60's, but neither one is returning! sad.gif
TonyAKAVW
This is just a few miles south of where I live, I guess I have a reason to fix my 914, may be ready in time smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 18 2011, 01:54 PM) *

Me too - and OCR's Drag Strip too, where my uncle held the class title in his mostly stock 58 Vette for a few years in the 60's, but neither one is returning! sad.gif

I was at the last drag racing event at OCR, and the last speedway bike race at Ascot. I moved from the area before Riverside closed. My comment about Ascot was meant to point out that the new Porsche facility will be very close to where Ascot was located.

The Cap'n
Tom_T
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 18 2011, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 18 2011, 01:54 PM) *

I was at the last drag racing event at OCR, and the last speedway bike race at Ascot. I moved from the area before Riverside closed. My comment about Ascot was meant to point out that the new Porsche facility will be very close to where Ascot was located.

The Cap'n

I understood & agree John, I just go through my email notices Bass-ackwards, so I didn't see yours until after I did that one above. IIRC Ascot was about a mile southwest of this on the far west side of the 110 & south of 405. Dermajian (?) Brothers or something owned it.

I used to go there when I was in college at USC 70-74, and remember those raucous radio ads for their raceway events as we stayed up all night to get our school projects/reports done! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 18 2011, 01:42 PM) *

agree.gif Totally. Best spectator track ever.
clairewoods
Porsche has announced intends to build a new 53-acre Experience Center in the city of Carson in the Los Angeles Basin. The designs were declared this week at the 2011 LA Auto Show. Type of an amusement park for speed-loving gear-heads with throw-away income, the Experience Center will provide a test track, a consumer delivery center, a gymnasium, a restaurant and more. Porsche intends to open the center in 2013. I found this here: Porsche plans to open Experience Center near Los Angeles.Good for them.Congratulations in advance.I'm pretty sure this will gonna be a one of a kind of leisure center experience.
EdwardBlume
Good for LA. cheer.gif
eric9144
Proposed 'Ariel View' of facility driving.gif
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
^ Like
Tom_T
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Nov 22 2011, 02:36 PM) *

Proposed 'Ariel View' of facility driving.gif
Click to view attachment

I think the loop in the upper left corner goes around the giant golfer, so they can preserve it for hysterical reasons! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.