Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electrical
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chrispy
1972 914 with 1.7l has died again. It died right after a hard left turn tonight.
What I observed;
Car turns over, no spark.
The wire from the hot side of the coil (that goes to the carb) came off and was touching the engine tin
(checked all fuses, no luck)
No voltage at hot side of coil wire with key turned on.
Have continuity between relay board and wire at coil (disconected).

Wiring diagram doesn't seem to show where wire goes after leaving relay board.

I pulled ignition plug but size and color of wires were wrong.

I think I'm looking for a relay, but not sure where.

HELP

Thanks chris
Jesse
Check your points if you havent already thee is a thread here for troubleshooting a no start problem
chrispy
Upon rereading Jeff's 14 pin diagram, it appears I should be getting power To #8 plug when key is turned on. While I don't get power to to 8 plug . I am getting power to #8 fuse when key is on. There is no continiuty between #8 plug and #8 fuse....however wire colors dont match. Wiring diagram calls for black at #8 fuse and they are black/bl and rew/wh (po or bad tracing on my part?).
Oh well, I renew my search tommorow
chris
Tom
The coil is unfused. That being said, when the hot wire at terminal 15 fell from the coil terminal to ground, you may have burned a wire or connection bad enough to keep power from getting to the coil hot (terminal 15). The power at fuse 8 is on the unfused side and the wire to the coil comes from that same connection, so if you have power at fuse 8 unfused side you should have power to the coil wire. Try checking pin 7 at the 12 pin connector at the relay board and pin 8 at the 14 pin connector at the relay board. Careful here, the two power wires for the relay board at pins 12 and 14 for the 14 pin connector are UNFUSED, and pin 10 of the 14 pin is ground!!!! Be best to unhook the battery and rehook the battery while working in this area.
Sounds like you may have some wiring errors made by a previous owner. Maybe the power went to the carb first, then to the coil? The least owners could do is leave a wiring diagram of the changes that were made, then later owners could figure out what is happening.
Tom
chrispy
Aaarrrrrgh!
I found the power to the coil wire at fuse 9 instead of 8.
So I'm checking it and for no reason, now everything works fine. I'm guessing a lose contact.
Soooo as I button every thing back up and I keep checking to make sure I still have power to the coil. All is good, car starts fine. I go to take the car for a test drive, it wont start and no power to the coil AGAIN!
Aaarrrrgh!

Back to square one tommorow
Did I say Aaarrrrgh?
Tom
Use some jumper wires to hook your meter to the coil wire and cycle the key switch on and off a few times. You just may have a bad switch, making contact sometimes, others not.
Pelian site has 71, then 73 diagrams. I guess they changed in 72 as the 71 diagram has fuse 8, 73 has fuse 9 for the tie point for power to the coil.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.