Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why do people let things go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Finally got the 1974 914 2.0 I got from Redshift running. To make a long story short, Redshift quit driving the car when he thought the fuel line on the HP side of the fuel pump broke. He then parked the car in 2006 and it hasn't run since.

Well, after checking it out I got the car running today. Turned out to be the fuel line broke going into the fuel filter. So, for a $0.50 piece of hose, the $20K he had invested in the car went to crap. During that time the floors rotted out and the car needs total restoration. The good news is car fired up almost instantly (after sitting for over 5 years) and sounds great! Phil W came over in his super nice '75 and helped me tinker with the car. So, now that I know the engine runs good I'm going to start stripping the car to do a restoration.

To paraphrase part of an old nursery rhyme, "for the want of a $0.50 fuel hose, the 914 was lost".
markb
IIRC, Miles had a bunch of little issues with the car, which along with some issues from the seller to him, wore him down and he didn't enjoy the car much. That's my take on it anyway, I may be totally off.
mepstein
I parked my good running car for a little while and 21 years later I'm getting it restored. A day turns into a month turns into a year..........
ripper911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 19 2011, 02:21 PM) *

I parked my good running car for a little while and 21 years later I'm getting it restored. A day turns into a month turns into a year..........

agree.gif I stopped driving my 911 because of the ignition switch, around 11 years ago. headbang.gif
poorsche914
Pulled the transmission to repair the starter mount area on my 914 and 20+ years later had to scrap it due to floor, firewall and trunk rot. I did strip most of the parts and still have the drivetrain. Was a sad day when I let it go. sad.gif
PeeGreen 914
To sum it up... Time.
VaccaRabite
Yep, it is a constant struggle not to let my projects just sit. Would be so easy to just toss a cover over them and forget they exist for a few years.
Zach
billh1963
I'm guilty of letting projects languish as well. I think my frustration was something this simple took a running car of the road....something very easily identified and fixed.

It wasn't really directed at Miles. He told me his story and I understand hitting that breaking point where you just don't care. It's just a shame what time, water, and a salt atmosphere can do!
Cap'n Krusty
If that car has the stock fuel pump setup, that "50 cent" piece of hose costs close to 30 bucks. putting a cheap hose on there and clamping it down until it doesn't appear to leak is getting down on your knees and begging to be set on fire.

The Cap'n
billh1963
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 19 2011, 04:40 PM) *

If that car has the stock fuel pump setup, that "50 cent" piece of hose costs close to 30 bucks. putting a cheap hose on there and clamping it down until it doesn't appear to leak is getting down on your knees and begging to be set on fire.

The Cap'n

Good advice. I replaced the bad piece to get it started with a piece of 30R9. It was less than a foot in length.
a914dude
Miles doesn't exist.
billh1963
QUOTE(a914dude @ Nov 19 2011, 06:45 PM) *

Miles doesn't exist.

He's very real....lol aktion035.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 19 2011, 02:50 PM) *

The Cap'n

Good advice. I replaced the bad piece to get it started with a piece of 30R9. It was less than a foot in length.

The hose between the supply line and the filter is a reducer from 9mm to 7mm, something you can only obtain through the dealer network.

The Cap'n
rick 918-S
QUOTE(markb @ Nov 19 2011, 01:00 PM) *

IIRC, Miles had a bunch of little issues with the car, which along with some issues from the seller to him, wore him down and he didn't enjoy the car much. That's my take on it anyway, I may be totally off.

agree.gif

Your a lucky guy to have been in the right place to buy that car. Miles is sort of a ledend around here. Be sure to treat his car with respect. I miss his humor around here.
type47
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 19 2011, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 19 2011, 02:50 PM) *

The Cap'n

The hose between the supply line and the filter is a reducer from 9mm to 7mm, something you can only obtain through the dealer network.

The Cap'n

what part ##? I looked in PET 201-10 but details there weren't enough to ID the part in the figure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.