Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel filter question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I moved the fuel pump to the front in the 1976 location. I was connecting fuel lines and installing the plastic filter and suddenly realized I am now running the full pressure of the fuel system through a plastic filter.

Can these filters take the pressure of the F.I. pump?

Where is the filter placed on the 76 model? Pictures help. wacko.gif
ConeDodger
Rick I can't speak for the '76 but my '75 has it up front just behind the fuel pump. It is plastic and the EFI pressure for the cars was something like 30psi I think... I think it will take it... I am running 40psi now and using a Fram cannister filter. biggrin.gif
Valy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 19 2011, 07:24 PM) *

Rick I can't speak for the '76 but my '75 has it up front just behind the fuel pump. It is plastic and the EFI pressure for the cars was something like 30psi I think... I think it will take it... I am running 40psi now and using a Fram cannister filter. biggrin.gif

The fuel filter should be before the fuel pump.
rick 918-S
Cool thanks, Ya, 75-76 location in the front. I was trying to install it in the bracket back by the engine. I can easily install it under the tank but it makes it much harder to service in that location.
bigkensteele
Rick, the late cars had a pair of tabs that were designed to suspend the fuel filter just to the right of the steering shaft, behind the brake lines. However, those tabs only serve a purpose if your fuel filter has the mating groove or T molded onto it. The one I just bought from AA did not, so I assume that the originals are NLA. The late filters have an 8mm intake from the tank and a 12mm output to the pump. The hose is routed from the tank to the filter between the steering column and the cabin bulkhead. The filter sits a couple of inches to the right of the column. The 12mm output hose should be pretty long (480mm according to the AA kit that I bought) to allow you the ability to pull the pump, and so that the hose does not kink.

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, but here is what mine looked like a couple of weeks ago when I pulled the tank. This is with the filter pulled out, but it should hang from the tabs or sit below them. You can see the tabs in the picture. My car had been "worked on" and there were kinks in the lines. If you run your 12mm line behind the brake lines, you should be good.

Per AA, the line lengths are:
12mm 480mm pump to filter
7mm 650mm filter to tank
7mm 700mm pump to delivery line
7mm 450mm tank to return line

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Thanks, that photo was a big help and the hose sizes now make sense. I was puzzled by the 12mm fitting on the filter and the pump not thinking they were to be mated. screwy.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 19 2011, 09:39 PM) *

Thanks, that photo was a big help and the hose sizes now make sense. I was puzzled by the 12mm fitting on the filter and the pump not thinking they were to be mated. screwy.gif

Glad I could help. I figure I only owe you about 100 more tips/tricks/favors before we are even. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.