Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JUST WANNA SAY THANKS!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I just wanted to teke a moment to say thankyou for all of you that have been so patient with the questions all of us newbies ask. I have been asking these kind of questions for over 2 months in the face to face world and have gotten "ZERO" answers to them, but in the last few weeks you guys have stepped up to the plate and have really shown a genuine interest to those of us who are just beginning to enjoy the 914. [SIZE=14]Thanks!!! boldblue.gif
Brad Roberts
Your comment above is EXACTLY what I ran into in 1985 when I bought my first 914. I was 15 years old and NOBODY would cough up ANY information. Now they can all KISS MY ASS.

B
Allan
Thanks Brad! It's peope like you who keep the 914 alive!!!! I know you probably have a side of beef on your plate (Picture Fed Flintstone) but again THANKS!!!!!!!
Brad Roberts
Yep. A lot of "stuff" on my plate. Sometimes I wonder if I'll get to all of it before I die.

B
thomasotten
Wow Brad, I would never have guessed we were the same age. But I also pictured Jake Raby as a much older, wiser Obi-Wan Kenobi type. And yes, the "experts" back then were always "too busy" to help. I bought mine in 88. Pretty Cool.
Joe Ricard
And now everybody knows how old Brad is laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif lol2.gif w00t.gif w00t.gif
We all thought you were older than that happy11.gif
I guess you got more time for that list of "to do's"
Brad Roberts
I "vowed" to never be like that with the info. I also was "shunned" at the AutoX venues. Vowed to never be that way either.

I'll be 34 in Nov. 24th.

B
Brad Roberts
I feel like I'm 50... does that count ?? Dont know that I have ever hidden my age for any reason. I know I'll have a receding hair line any year now. It is currently racing backwards. My goatee has grey in it... along with my the sides of my head.

B
Allan
Yep! Tons of stuff on your plate. I would (maybe) love to be in your place. (Actually if that was the case I would be giving advice instead of receiving it. I feel like such a LEECH! huh.gif
Brad Roberts
Ha ha... you'll get over it. Everyone else does. Sooner or later (just got off the phone with BofA) we will have the Ecomm done and you can support us by purchasing our hats/shirts/socks/underwear/kittens/pies.. and maybe some parts.

B
Allan
I still believe that if it wasn't for people like you and sir-anthonthy(sorry about the spelling) and slits and etc,etc!!! People like me, who just got into the 914 scene would fade away as fast as they started! You guys ROCK!!! smilie_pokal.gif
beemie96
I definitely agree with Headrage. I feel like a total Newbie after being out of the 'scene' for 6-7 years. (Even though i've had my car for 11+ years) My poor little 914 went to the dark side like an un-cared for 'teen would. With this board's help, I will bring 'er back! (At least all the salvagable bits).

Mad Props!
AZ914
agree.gif ...Thanks to the board and Brad for all the good info. I'm more of a lurker than a poster but I look at the board everyday, trying to learn more.

I'm the same age as Brad too... laugh.gif I got a 914 back in 1990. Being mechanically challenged, if the info wasn't in the Haynes or Clymer manuals, I was pretty much sunk... Resources like this are incredible. clap56.gif

Although I haven't done all of my own work, I definitely have undertaken some projects I wouldn't have dreamed of without 'the club' or the Bird board.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
We love newbies wub.gif

Who else will carry the torch...? Plus, once you get hooked there's no turning back.
SLITS
So a search for 914 Anonymous - they have a 14 step program that might help. monkeydance.gif grouphug.gif
SteveSr
agree.gif ,this board is totally awsome! I let my teener gather dust for several years before deciding to do something with it. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif and with the help of this board I have learned a lot! Brad...34????,I'll be 48 on Monday and just now starting my autoxing adventure.I wish I was 34 again!!!
I too am more of a lurker than a talker,but I check the board everyday and learn something new that will make my project better/easier. clap56.gif
Keep the momentum going smilie_pokal.gif

SteveSr
Allan
I was running through some OLD threads and decided that it was time to re-start the thanks to the founders and admin guys who do this crap for free or even spend money on it... I found this help when I was just starting to get back into a car that I had back in 1975. 30 years later I'm right back where I was except I don't know shit...

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!@!
Bleyseng
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Aug 9 2004, 06:39 PM)
I feel like I'm 50... does that count ?? Dont know that I have ever hidden my age for any reason. I know I'll have a receding hair line any year now. It is currently racing backwards. My goatee has grey in it... along with my the sides of my head.

B

Wait until you actually do turn 50, it sucks.....

and you are worried about a little grey in your beard?
olav

Looks like Brad will be turning 35 this Nov 24th.

I wonder how his receding hairline is doing? smile.gif
swl
Let me add my thanks as well. This place is a fantastic source of information and encouragement. Without it I doubt that I'd have the courage to take on a restoration project. Heck I've gone from 'stop any further deteriation' to actually considering tearing her down to the bare tub and doing it right. Without the restoration threads and problem solving here I would never ever even think about that.
jim_hoyland
Ditto thanks from me; I bought my first 914 in 1982 and didn't meet another owner until I came across this web -site and met Joe Sharp. Everything has been up-hill since. What a great thing this is !!!
TINCAN914
QUOTE (swl @ Nov 19 2005, 05:43 AM)
Let me add my thanks as well. This place is a fantastic source of information and encouragement. Without it I doubt that I'd have the courage to take on a restoration project. Heck I've gone from 'stop any further deteriation' to actually considering tearing her down to the bare tub and doing it right. Without the restoration threads and problem solving here I would never ever even think about that.

agree.gif Friends and neighbors have seen me working on my car, and the first response is wow you must know alot about cars. My reply, av-943.gif av-943.gif I don't know squat!!! I jst tell them about this web site, and go on aobut al the grat people and the wealth of information. Thank you to everyone!! This place is awesome!! When I have been in need of information or some parts, it's just given. People like that are harder to come by.

aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
bd1308
thanks all.

b
Mark Henry
Yep to me this club rocks aktion035.gif

It's great that a dood from cali can help a hoser from Canada with a few simple keystrokes.

beer.gif
Flat VW
Yes, all that I have read above is true.

Owning a teener used to be a very "isolating experience".

The internet and this non-club, club have changed it all for the better.

John wavey.gif

P.S. Never a charge for my crappy advice, just ask Jim {Shaggy}, and NO REFUNDS. screwy.gif

Group hug!
grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif grouphug.gif

Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Nov 19 2005, 07:11 AM)
Yep to me this club rocks aktion035.gif

It's great that a dood from cali can help a hoser from Canada with a few simple keystrokes.

beer.gif

Really...

I tripps me out sometimes to know theres another person across the continent who has some interest in MY project and actually wants to help. And knows what they are talking about.

very cool.

Roger
ThinAir
My first encounter with a 914 was in 1980 at a community schools class in Hermosa Beach. I fell in love with it, but it took me another 10 years before I owned one. The best technical resource I had was the AA catalog with all of its exploded assembly diagrams.

How I managed for all those years before the internet and this site, is simply a mystery to me. I've run into a few here who do not share as well as others, but overall the spirit here is like nothing you'll find anywhere else.

It's not just that I've learned a bunch about my car, but I've also had the opportunity to meet folks and make new friendships. Some of the virtual friendships with people I've never met face-to-face are my most cherished.

There's no such thing as saying thanks too often. The folks who started this zoo, the admins who keep it running, and the members who keep it going through their contributions - they all deserve a big thank you!

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
msglaigaie
When accused of having "grey" in ones hair or in ones beard, I correct that person. "No," say I, " it is Chrome!!" and then I return to my Guinness. MSG L
jimtab
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Aug 9 2004, 05:39 PM)

B

Aw Brad, that stuff is just the product of a misspent youth....it don't mean shit....you're just a pup...but a damn helpful one....wish I could make the swap and see the place...later maybe..take care.
Mark Henry
QUOTE (msglaigaie @ Nov 19 2005, 04:10 PM)
When accused of having "grey" in ones hair or in ones beard, I correct that person. "No," say I, " it is Chrome!!" and then I return to my Guinness. MSG L

I've been going grey since I was 20yrs old.

Had a lady at a store say to my 4yr old "are you out shopping with your grampa" dry.gif
carr914
I started to go gray at 17 (had access to a 914), went completely white by 33 ( I thought it was the lawyer ex-wife, but I did have 2 914s), now 47 still have all my hair(still white & still have 2 teeners one that runs) I was always told that the hair was heredity, but I think it might have something to do with the cars.

T.C.
pete-stevers
yup I have to say thanks too, you all know what I mean!
I just turned 35 and feel like I am fifty,
maybe i'll just have a beer.gif
Thanks guys
Fuckin awsome club!
Mark Henry
QUOTE (carr914 @ Nov 19 2005, 08:40 PM)
still have all my hair

Yep...might be snow on the roof...but at least I still have a roof biggrin.gif
Duffster
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Nov 19 2005, 04:27 PM)

I've been going grey since I was 20yrs old.

Had a lady at a store say to my 4yr old "are you out shopping with your grampa" dry.gif

I feel you on dat...

Happy Birthday, Bradholio! birthday.gif and thanks for things like the gear chart that took a huge amount of work, and are now in the (sort of) public domain for the benefit of all of us...
jimtab
QUOTE (Mark Henry @ Nov 19 2005, 06:08 PM)
QUOTE (carr914 @ Nov 19 2005, 08:40 PM)
still have all my hair

Yep...might be snow on the roof...but at least I still have a roof biggrin.gif

I have a good friend who is almost all grey and was when he was in his late 40s, at that time a nearly bald friend of ours was giving him shit about his grey hair...his reply..."yes, I've got lots of grey hair, lots and lots and lots of grey hair....he made his point.... biggrin.gif
carr914
So you bald guys can say the Targa top flew off and you can't find it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.