Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smoked Tail Light Lenses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racerbvd
Anyone know where to get em?? Phil had a set, but not sure what happened to them or where he got them, I'm leaning that direction for my 76...
underthetire
The plastic is kinda tough on your lungs...

You can get a dark tinted poly clear and spray an old set. There was a thread years back here on clearing lenses.
Cap'n Krusty
Why would you want to make your tail and brake lights LESS easily seen?

The Cap'n
RickS
Cap'n it's because they are kuhl. Kuhl has never gotten in the way of safety. As a for instance, I have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDi and people on the VW BB are just falling all over themselves to eliminate the day time running lights - a proven accident reducer. I can only scratch my head.

These kind of situations I call the Darwin Principal. (Hell I even added a third brake light under the targa bar to be even better seen - and statistically they cut rear enders by - I believe an additional 30% if memory serves me.) Who wants a classic hit?

Now to aid and abet our Racer friend, there is a product called NightShades which comes in a rattle can from your local Pep Boyz or whatever. It sprays a splatter pattern and you can add as little or much as you want - legality aside - for that smoked out look. I would recommend uprating your bulbs if you go this route with either real smoked or faux smoked.

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 20 2011, 01:46 PM) *

Why would you want to make your tail and brake lights LESS easily seen?

The Cap'n

racerbvd
Someone produced em, not rattle can and there is a LED red light kit, and with that kit they were as bright Red as standard 914 tail lights..
nsr-jamie
In Japan this is popular with young people for motorbikes and Japanese sports or drift cars. You can buy a spary and use that...and I have seen another person who used this kind of film that you apply with a hair dryer....if you need smoked lenses the best bet would be to talk to Mikey 914 (Mark at 914Rubber) and see if he can specially make a batch...he has clear and other colors and he might be able to make a small run and others may want them too
racerbvd
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Nov 22 2011, 08:01 AM) *

In Japan this is popular with young people for motorbikes and Japanese sports or drift cars. You can buy a spary and use that...and I have seen another person who used this kind of film that you apply with a hair dryer....if you need smoked lenses the best bet would be to talk to Mikey 914 (Mark at 914Rubber) and see if he can specially make a batch...he has clear and other colors and he might be able to make a small run and others may want them too

clear was another thought, but not into Rice, for some reason, I'm just kind of drawn to the smoked look for the white car.. Course, not like it is hard to change out the lenses..
nsr-jamie
Seriously, you should talk to Mark (Mikey914) and he may be able to arrange that, the moulds would be the same just need to do something with the colors. Who knows, others may be interested too and you could be the prototype owner who does the test work and reports back how they are.

White with black lenses would be cool...I have a silver car and am thinking about the clear or white lenses.

Cheers
----------

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Nov 23 2011, 12:22 AM) *

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Nov 22 2011, 08:01 AM) *

clear was another thought, but not into Rice, for some reason, I'm just kind of drawn to the smoked look for the white car.. Course, not like it is hard to change out the lenses..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.