Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Washer or not to Washer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ezbngreen914
I'm replacing the oil pressure sending unit on my 1.7. There was no washer when I took the old unit out but I suspect that the unit was leaking and can't rule out that it should not have had a washer. AAs parts pdf shows a washer for the Temp sending unit option but its hard to tell whether it means for there to be one on the standard unit that I am using as well. The guy from AA sent me the washer just incase. The Haynes manual doesn't mention a washer but I'm just looking for some good old 914 World feed back, Nothing beats it!

Question: Should I use the metal washer or not?

Thanks again! beerchug.gif
ezbngreen914
also wandering about how tight it should be. the old one was pretty tight. Felt like loosening a lug nut on a wheel.
yeahmag
Just to be sure I read this right - you are talking about the oil PRESSURE unit on top of the motor. That uses no washer and is just "snug". It's a tapered thread like NPT.

The oil temp senders in the taco plate uses a copper crush washer.

-Aaron
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Nov 20 2011, 03:51 PM) *

Just to be sure I read this right - you are talking about the oil PRESSURE unit on top of the motor. That uses no washer and is just "snug". It's a tapered thread like NPT.

-Aaron

Ok, maybe I was looking at the exploded engine diagram wrong. I'm just talking about the Oil Pressure "switch". So, no washer then? Thats the way I was leaning.
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Nov 20 2011, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Nov 20 2011, 03:51 PM) *

-Aaron

Ok, maybe I was looking at the exploded engine diagram wrong. I'm just talking about the Oil Pressure "switch". So, no washer then? Thats the way I was leaning.

Thanks! beerchug.gif
type47
No washer for pressure sensor to case. If you decide to use teflon tape, be sure to allow the sensor to ground to the case (don't insulate by using tape) and don't let tape get into oil passages.
McMark
Yup, no washer. It's a taper thread, like pipe thread.

If you want to use a sealant, use a liquid sealant. Tape can leave fragments in the oil passage that can separate and clog passages. I haven't seen an issue with grounding when using sealant, but you can use an ohmmeter to be sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.