Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brought my new car home today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JStroud
Well I finally got my white 914. I've wanted a white one since I first started looking over a year ago. Just never found, or missed the right one. Finally bought a yellow 75 last year, 11/2/10 actually, only because it was in such good shape for the price.
But I really wanted a white one.

Today I drove to San Jose and met Michael N and his family, and picked up my new car.

First let me say Michael and his wife are very nice people, They have two 914's in the garage, a six, and his wife's amazing bumble bee, a really beautiful car. And being the generous person Michael is, he let me take his six for a drive, driving.gif what a great experience, his car is awesome, and it's the first 914 I've driven since 1975, when I first got hooked on these cars, (it was a white one).

So thank you Michael, for the drive and my white 914. Its people like him that make 914 World what it is. (oh and you too Andy).

Enough talk on with the pictures.

This is my new car in Michaels driveway with his cars in the background.
Click to view attachment

Loaded up ready to go. Actually started and drove it on the trailer.(did I mention its a project car)
Click to view attachment

Made it home without a scratch, not a new one anyway.
Click to view attachment

Safe and sound in the garage
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

So since the 74 runs, (kinda) I think i'll work on it a little to get it drivable, then drive it until the 75 is finished, Mark at Original Customs is building my 2056 for it now. Then drive the 75 while I do a full restoration on the 74. Its OK to have two....right.

More to come, vendors stock your shelves!

Thanks for looking, and thanks again Michael.

Jeff
billh1963
Awesome! I bought my first one in March of this year, picked up a project two weeks ago, and am negotiating on a third. They are like Lays potato chips....can't have just one! biggrin.gif

From what I remember of the ad he wanted it gone that next day. if I had known I could have had an extra week I would have arranged to have it picked up and shipped!...LOL
rnellums

Saweet! I agree that having two is the way to go!
JStroud
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Nov 21 2011, 04:53 AM) *

Awesome! I bought my first one in March of this year, picked up a project two weeks ago, and am negotiating on a third. They are like Lays potato chips....can't have just one! biggrin.gif

From what I remember of the ad he wanted it gone that next day. if I had known I could have had an extra week I would have arranged to have it picked up and shipped!...LOL

Actually michael bought the car from the ad, and had to pick it up last weekend, lucky for me he only wanted the wheels on it for his six, and sold me the car to restore.

I think you guys are right though, it's hard to own just one.
But that's a problem I seem to be handling fine.

Jeff
ConeDodger
Nice Jeff! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
Nice grab Jeff! beerchug.gif

I have 2 also, but my case is more of 2 in & 1 out - also an L80E originally that I've held onto since 12/75 through the ups-n-downs. It will be restored to the Light Ivory, but apparently on a slower schedule than originally intended. Heck, at least I hung onto her! biggrin.gif
McMark
Awesome news, Jeff. Looks great.
r_towle
Get the front end of the yellow car up in the air.
Now that you have two, the yellow (inferior) car should never touch the ground again...it should live out its remaining years in your garage only upon the proper jack stands...as a long term project car.

Rich
computers4kids
I've been content with just one for a while now...although when I saw the ad for this white one, I thought about it for a moment...Michael got a great deal on it.
Mark
championgt1
Congrats! beerchug.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 21 2011, 04:53 PM) *

Get the front end of the yellow car up in the air.
Now that you have two, the yellow (inferior) car should never touch the ground again...it should live out its remaining years in your garage only upon the proper jack stands...as a long term project car.

Rich

Actually the yellow car is close to being mechanically done and driveable, Marks building my 2056 with raby parts for it now, the transmissions rebuilt, suspension is half way done, too close to stop now. Besides I've only shown flattering pictures of the new car so far, trust me its a long term project.
I'll need something to drive while the 74 is being restored.

It does have some cool stuff already though,911 front end, with vented discs and M calipers, 930 tie rod ends. Rear has Bilstein sport shocks machined to be fully adjustable with 160lb carrera springs. Bursch exhaust, and some extra gauges.
Oh and did I mention its white.

The car was left sitting....outside sad.gif ....so it has all the usual rust to repair. so far it seems mostly surface, but hard to say until you get in there. Interior is pretty trashed. Engine runs, but idle is unstable with no real throttle response, but transmision seems to work. With a little work this weekend I hope to get it running well enough to take it for a spin around the block driving.gif

Michael and I were looking at the paper work that came with the car and found a receipt for an engine rebuild and transmission rebuild and got excited that maybe they were only 12k miles old, but alas looking at the paper work tonight I noticed it was for a 75 with a different lic # sad.gif oh well, knowing me I would have rebuilt them anyway.

Now the fun begins, which car do I work on today?

(Thanks who ever fixed my pictures)
Jeff
EdwardBlume
Congrats on your new ride. smilie_pokal.gif
Michael N
How is the weekends progress going. I am dying to hear that a few tweaks were needed and you are out spinning donuts in the local school's parking lot. ( of course that is closed with no kids present...)
JStroud
QUOTE(Michael N @ Nov 25 2011, 11:37 AM) *

How is the weekends progress going. I am dying to hear that a few tweaks were needed and you are out spinning donuts in the local school's parking lot. ( of course that is closed with no kids present...)

So far not much, too much family in and out. I've got everything I need for a tune up and oil change. Tommorrow I should have most of the day and all day Sunday. I'll put it up on jack stands in the morning, need to check the brakes, change the oil, and adjust the valves. Then a tune up and who knows? I'm hoping to drive it to DMV on Monday. Keep you posted.

Jeff
JStroud
Well I finally got some garage time. Got it up on jack stands, changed the plugs, points, condenser, cap, and rotor. Checked all the vacuum lines and electrical connections. Found one electrical connection at the coil that was loose, and the points gap was a little wide.

I got the electrical connection fixed and with the new tune up parts I thought I'd give it a try. Fired up idle was a little high, was able to adjust it down, crossed my fingers and gave it some throttle, it roared like a lion piratenanner.gif

Throttle was smooth , brought it up to 5k let off... back to a smooth idle piratenanner.gif
I haven't even adjusted the valves or set the timing yet.

Should finish up the engine tonight, tommorrow I need to check the brakes then.....driving.gif

Jeff
billh1963
Awesome!
Michael N
Awesome! piratenanner.gif You just might make Monday at the DMV afterall.
jeeperjohn56
Hey Jeff, Nice looking car,I'm jealous about your suspension, what year is it? Did you say a 74 2.0? Does it also have a five lug conversion also. Good luck with your new project. John driving.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Nov 27 2011, 11:58 AM) *

Hey Jeff, Nice looking car,I'm jealous about your suspension, what year is it? Did you say a 74 2.0? Does it also have a five lug conversion also. Good luck with your new project. John driving.gif

Hey John,
Thanks, and yes it's a 74 2.0 and it does have 5 lug all around. Still waiting to see some progress on your six conversion, did you start yet?

Well.... the back brakes need a lot of work, pretty much froze up. Got them moving a little but not much, fronts are ok but need a brake job. Put it back on the ground and took it for a drive driving.gif aktion035.gif

Engine is still idling a bit high, 1400, but it pulls strong, all the gears work smoothly.
4th can be a bit hard to find just have to make sure you push to the right enough and it goes right in. Might need an adjustment. Drives pretty nice for a 38 year old car. beer.gif

Just took it around the block, of course thats about 3 mi out here, it should be ready to go to DMV tommorrow, just need to get a battery. The old one I had doesn't want to hold a charge anymore headbang.gif Had to jump it to get it started.
So off to find a battery on sunday afternoon, oh boy! Then maybe another trip around the block. driving.gif

Jeff

jeeperjohn56
Hey Jeff, Finally got garage cleaned out so I can get started, had a two story shed built 6x16 by 12ft tall, to but everything that was in my garage. Glad to here you got it running better. John
Lennies914
beerchug.gif Congratulations Jeff! Nobody should have just one. I'm hoping to start on another car soon.

Looking forward to the next BBQ. biggrin.gif
JStroud
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Nov 27 2011, 10:15 PM) *

beerchug.gif Congratulations Jeff! Nobody should have just one. I'm hoping to start on another car soon.

Looking forward to the next BBQ. biggrin.gif

Thanks, got the new battery in, took another drive. Changed the aar and got the idle down a bit more, smokes a little at start up. But clears up after warm up, only has to last till the 75 is done, then it gets tore down sawzall-smiley.gif

Maybe a spring take one off jackstands, put another on jackstands BBQ?

Ok John if the garage is clean better get started before it fills up again.

Off to DMV in the morning, let's hope they like my new car as much as I do.
Hasn't been registered since 7/2001. confused24.gif

Jeff
JStroud
Well DMV wasn't too bad only an hour wait, and a $500 contribution to the states budget crisis, and it's all registered. It's really too bad people can't file non-ops on their cars if they're not going to register them, over half my fees were from back reg. fees and no non-op, really who can't afford $18 a year. headbang.gif

Anywaaayss... all registered and legal to drive....so I came home and went for another one. driving.gif

Engine is running much smoother since the AAR change, also no more smoke at start up, guess it just had something to burn off after sitting so long.

So now the only major problem is the brakes, time to call Eric and spend more money.

But for now I think i'll go for another driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Jeff
JStroud
Well I got all my parts from Eric and finished rebuilding all the calipers. Installed them last Friday got them adjusted and bled ( I thought ), they worked much better and I even have a parking brake again.

I drove the car to Sonoma today and had Mark at Original Customs check it over for me. He finished adjusting and bleeding the brakes, what a difference.

Then a few shift bushings, and a fully functional heat system, quite a different ride home. Thanks Mark.

Mark also found some interesting things about my new car, i assumed it was a 2.0 since the fuel injection and everything looked the same as my 75 2.0.

But apparently originally it was a 1.8. The case is a 1.8 case no. But the heads are 2.0 heads and the fuel injection system is from a 2.0. So who knows what the motor actually is until I tear it apart. Guess that extra 2.0 motor I have might come in handy after all.

All I know is it's running good, stopping great, and I have heat!

Thanks again Mark, and Michael N.

Now it's time to get back to work on the 75, with the occasional drive in the new 74 ......1.9?

Jeff
McMark
Glad to hear the heat is working better. Having a pen stuck in the front diverter boxes can really reduce their effectiveness. wink.gif But on the bright side -- FREE PEN! thumb3d.gif

Ya got a good lookin' car there. clap56.gif
914.SBC
What a great story...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.