Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Test Picture
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
I posted a couple of pictures this morning, they were too large, so this is a test to see if I reduced a picture right.
DonTraver
Cool, it worked, Thanks All
Joseph Mills
Nice looking teener. Is it yours?
Brad Roberts
NICE car Don !!

B
airsix
That is one of the best looking 914's I've ever seen.

-Ben M.
thesey914
Now un-reduce the picture and show us a huge image!!
DonTraver
Yes it's mine. It's a 1970 914-6 that I bought from my step-dad. He owned it for 30+ years. He said I sold it to you, because I knew you would restore her, so I did, took 2+ years, might have been shorter, but I was racing her during the restoration. Most of the car has been in the diningroom or kitchen at one time or another. That's right, I'm single. I did the body work and painted her in my driveway using PPG Delstar paint, no clear coat needed, color sanded and buffed. Dropped engine, upgraded cylinders and heads set up for unleaded. Designed and manufactured engine fittings to run Digital Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Voltage meters and still have stock instruments work, upgraded ignition to Bosch. Friend taught me upholstery, so I put a full leather interior in. Reworked electrics, ran a 10 gage wire to front trunk and installed fuse block & relays, now the voltage drop at headlights is .2vdc, instead of 2.4vdc. Converted to side shifter, regeared to taller 5 gear for freeway driving. Rebuilt suspension, stonger torsion bars, springs, bushings. Did a lot more, long list, but everything works. She's a kick on the track or in the mountains. I've had people say, She's too pretty to be on the track, my answer, I didn't buy her to be a garage queen, she was built to drive. Anyway, thanks for the compliments, I always like them, hope to run into some of you guys sometime.
3d914
Don,

Very nice job! One of the few benefits of being single (from my POV). laugh.gif

Enjoy!
Eric_Shea
Beautiful car...

800 pixel width is perfect when resizing pics for this forum.
nsyr
More pics, More pics, More pics!!!!

Inside and out!!! mueba.gif
Gint
agree.gif More pics please! smilie_pokal.gif
DonTraver
Ok, here's some more
DonTraver
Here's one just after putting the engine back in. You can see one of the fittings I made to run digital instruments right by the breather, it's for oil pressure, mounted a oil filled gage on top too.
DonTraver
Here' one of the engine out of the car. You can see the fitting for the Digital Temp gauge right below the fan, has 3 wires connected to it.
DonTraver
Rear of car, duh,lol
DonTraver
Here's the Digital gauges, they're brighter, but flash dims them out. Top to bottom.

1. Oil Pressure

2. Oil Temp

3. Voltage

I Hate Idiot lights
DonTraver
And last but not least, here's one of her doing what she was designed to do at Willow Springs
drew365
Don; didn't you come out to the Streets of Willow with the POC a few times? I haven't seen you in a while. Glad the car is still looking good. Can you make mine look like that? biggrin.gif
john rogers
Hey Don, I haven't heard from you in quite a while. The car is looking GREAT!
mikey
Great looking car? Where did you get the blue engine shroud? Mine's dingy and could use replacement.

Mike
DonTraver
The engine shroud is painted, but first you need to clean it really good, soak it in degreaser for a few days. Then rough sand the top, not the underside, leave that side alone. I used 40 grit wet & dry, after that's done, reglass with resin. This seals out all the years of oil soaking into fiberglass that you won't get out. If you don't reglass, the oil that you don't get out will lift the paint when the engine gets hot. Then when the resin has set, wet sand without going thru with 80 grit. Prime with epoxy primer, wet sand and shoot what ever color you want. I used PPG Delstar paint. Same color Blue as the flames I painted on my bike.

Yeah, I raced with POC in 2002, even won some Kuhmo bucks with them. 2003 decided to remodel house, gave away all my furniture, stripped house. Have learned one thing about remodeling, it you're not insane when you start, you soon will be, lol.

May start racing next year, have been practicing in mountains, best day to practice is Wed. Best time, San Diego to Hemet, 240 miles, 4 hours.

Drew, yeah I can make your car look like that, but it isn't cheap. Example, Digital gauges, $500 material without fittings, interior, $1000 just for leather, paint job $1500+ for paints. As I've told others, I will help you and teach you how to do it. but I don't hire out. How's that sound?
Gint
Hi Don!

I saw your car and asked about your engine compartment paint at Glen's swap meet in Riverside. Very nice 914.
Eric_Shea
40 and 80 grit... did we drop a 0 or two? biggrin.gif
DonTraver
Nope, 40 & 80 grit on the fiberglass. You want it real roughed up to grab the new resin and primer. Sand the primer with 400, there's that other 0. If the paint does lift, it will be the boundry between the resin and fiberglass or resin and primer. The primer will fill the 80 grit scratches just fine.
nsyr
Got some more pics of the interior? pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.