Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to move a 914? With or without the axels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
I’ll move my 914 into a new larger garage in a few weeks. At the moment the car is on jacks and I have rebuild both trailing arms and they are installed.

Question: Do I have to install as well the axel stubs to securely mount the wheels and push the car on and off a trailer.

I don’t see a reason for it, but just want to double check with my club experts.

Thanks,
Dragan

Click to view attachment
r_towle
YES
The bearing needs the stub axle in place before you put any weight on the bearing.
It will ruin the bearing otherwise....

At a minimum, put in just the stub axle and nut.
Or, put in the whole axle and support the middle with a rope or bungie cord.

Rich
BKLA
agree.gif

tangerine racing has this nice little tool that holds the axles & CV's in place while you roll the car....

http://www.tangerineracing.com/tools.htm near bottom of page...

Just a thought....
draganc
Thanks guys!
draganc
Just for educational purpose; the bearing is pressed into the trailing arm and the outer axel flange (for lack of better words) is pressed into the bearing.

How is the “inner” axle flange going to support the wheel – just wondering?

Is it the vertical movement?

Thanks for the explanation!
Dragan
underthetire
It pulls the inner races together. Without them, the bearing inner races have no pre load on them.

Put the axles is and put a PVC pipe between them and tie up the pipe.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 21 2011, 09:40 PM) *

Put the axles is and put a PVC pipe between them and tie up the pipe.

Thats how I used to do it. Its also why I developed the tool which Brett posted the link to. smile.gif
andys
The bearings are duplex angular contact and require them to be loaded (preloaded) axially.

If you're indeed only going to roll the car on and off the trailer, then use a large bolt with washers; it'll be adequate for that. I used a 5/8" or 3/4" bolt (don't recall); just make sure the washer on the inside is the correct outside diameter such that it bears only against the inner race of the bearing, and that it is concentric to it. I put the nut and another washer on the outside (hub).

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.