Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on selling.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surferjoe
Well, it looks like I cannot bring my car to Spain due to laws and regulations and such. Very expensive. So, I may need to sell it to pay the bills for right now. As most of you know I bought this recently on Ebay. It has a salvaged title due to parts stolen on it from the prior owner years ago. Everything was replaced. The car is in perfect shape. Small rust, no body damage whatsoever. Interior needs a little work. A few cracks in the dash, new door panels and new seats. Although they look fine.

After purchasing the car, I sent it to HPH and had $1,800.00 worth of work done. Basic things, new brakes, clutch, cables and so on. Runs like a champ!

I originally spent $4,600.00 on it plus the $1,800.00. I would at least like to get a majority of that back if possible.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable price I should start at? I have all the receipts and papers for the history of the car.

It's a 76 / 914 / 2.0 (Black)

Here's a couple of pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
bondo
Were you planning to put it up on ebay? I've been trying to sell my salvage titled 914 for a while, and eventually gave up and put it on ebay. I only got $510, and then the seller backed out because apparently it's difficult to register a salvage titled car in Colorado. Of course your car looks 1000 times better than mine, and probably runs 1000 times better too. The salvage title seemed to lower the value (on ebay anyways) of mine by abut 50% of what I thought it was worth (you don't often see running and driving 914s for sale under $1000 unless they're total rustbuckets) Hopefully you wont lose too much money on this. You might consider advertizing it out of state since Californians are wary of 76es. Good luck.
3d914
superjoe,

That seems like a reasonable approach to me. In addition to Ebay, you can also look into the auto trader. THey have a web presence, and I've seen some nice Porsches (including 914's) available there.

Bummer about the sale, but good luck!
Pnambic
There's always this... 914World.com Classifieds.
rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif idea.gif
Allan
Try collectorcartraderonline.com It's were I got mine. boldblue.gif
Ctrout
My car had a bill of sale with a salvage acquisition number from Kalifornia and no title. When I tried to get a title issued here in Idaho, they said that due to the year of the car, it didn't meet the state's criteria for issuance of a salvage title. They said that it required a VIN inspection and they would only be able to issue a clear title. Darn the luck! You may want to see if you can find someone to buy it in Idaho or sell it for you here if you are short on time. If the Air Force sends me over seas again, I'll seriously consider putting mine in storage.
anthony
I think there are services who will do this for you and get the salvage title removed. It's unethical though.
Ctrout
I think that it's unethical to permanently brand a vehicle as "salvage" just because it was turned over to a salvage company. Such is the case with my car. It is probably more solid than at least 70% of non-restored 914s. It was turned over to a charity auction without the title when the PO was convicted of murder. It was then purchased by a salvage company therefore received the salvage stigma. I then bought the car and obtained a clear title in Idaho. I don't feel guilty at all.
nebreitling
that's a cool story, ctrout!
bondo
Maybe the car is cursed! Had any irresistable urges to kill lately? smile.gif
Ctrout
Daily. But then again, I'm a bomb loader in the Air Force. It's what I do.
Joe Bob
Borrow a few bucks and out in storage...you'll regret selling it. Money is too cheap right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.