Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heating in Conversions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
For you conversion guys, how have you grabbed heat from the engine shrowd and directed it to the heat exchanger? My question is focused on the passenger side exit, it seems to me that for post 74' 911 engines, the 'Hot Air Socket' would be a different size hole than the one entering the Heat Exchanger. Do I need to purchase/fab up an older style attachment?

Click to view attachment
MDG
Didn't know about the different size on later models. When I had the 2.2 I used block off plates when I went with headers. On my 3.2 I just put the original guides that were on the 2.2 - it's a direct fit with the same mounting points. You can still get them in steel and fiberglass.
Steve
QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 22 2011, 09:55 AM) *

Didn't know about the different size on later models. When I had the 2.2 I used block off plates when I went with headers. On my 3.2 I just put the original guides that were on the 2.2 - it's a direct fit with the same mounting points. You can still get them in steel and fiberglass.

I'm also running early air guides on my 3.2. Beware that some air guides won't clear the bigger distributor on the 3.2. Otto installed an early metal one on mine that fits perfect. I don't know where he got it from. I have awesome heat with my stock 914-6 heat exchangers.
GeorgeRud
I would imagine that there are quite a few folks that have used the block-off shrouds on their racing engines, and hopefully some of the early style parts may be available by putting an inquiry out of the lists ( 911 Birdboard, Samba, etc.) and perhaps some racing lists as those would be the ones that are most likely to have replaced their's.

I don't think it would make sense to try to fabricate a system for the later style system as the original ones worked so well.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 22 2011, 02:00 PM) *

I would imagine that there are quite a few folks that have used the block-off shrouds on their racing engines, and hopefully some of the early style parts may be available by putting an inquiry out of the lists ( 911 Birdboard, Samba, etc.) and perhaps some racing lists as those would be the ones that are most likely to have replaced their's.

I don't think it would make sense to try to fabricate a system for the later style system as the original ones worked so well.

It's not trying to fabricate something as much as to get the same hole diameter for both the heat exchanger and the shroud out-let.

I see that Pelican has an early style, but for close to $90.00 each side! Yikes! Thats a little too much for me, I'm one of the 'Fiscally Impaired' right now! **insert 'empty pocket smiley' here**
RiqueMar
... Picture showing the difference between an early and late model, it's the outlet diameter matching the inlet on the heat exchanger that's my concern...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
The bits in red I got off of my donor '69T engine, they are the steel. Another engine '75 2.7S had the cheap plastic ones and they were all warped to shit. I don't know when they changed, but try to get the early steel ones.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the system, does any have a pic of stock 914/6 heat exchanger and associated plumbing set-up? (engine out of the car pic)
Mark Henry
If the hose side is too small/big I'd just fab adapters...but I can do that sort of thing.wink.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 22 2011, 02:15 PM) *

...I'm having a hard time visualizing the system, does any have a pic of stock 914/6 heat exchanger and associated plumbing set-up? (engine out of the car pic)

That would be great for reference, there are a-million-and-one photos of a 911 setup/system out of the car, but none of the /6 setup/system

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 22 2011, 02:17 PM) *

If the hose side is too small/big I'd just fab adapters...but I can do that sort of thing.wink.gif

It's not a problem, I can make most anything, just thought I'de post in case someone comes out and says, "No you idiot, they're the same, put it on and move on to the next thing" .... which happens quite often when I think about it. wacko.gif
MDG
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Nov 22 2011, 05:04 PM) *

I see that Pelican has an early style, but for close to $90.00 each side! Yikes!

Where you live . . . go to a dismantler and get what you need. I can't imagine they'd want anything close to $90.00. These aren't a high wear item. The pair off my old 2.2 engine just needed to be wiped clean and they were perfect. Like I said, the screw holes even line up. No need to buy new.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 22 2011, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 22 2011, 09:55 AM) *

I'm also running early air guides on my 3.2. Beware that some air guides won't clear the bigger distributor on the 3.2. Otto installed an early metal one on mine that fits perfect. I don't know where he got it from. I have awesome heat with my stock 914-6 heat exchangers.

I must have bought a late one since it needed some metal shaping to clearance the distibutor on my 3.2. I'm no Scotty B but it was an easy mod with a metal pipe to reshape the convex surface to concave.
mepstein
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Nov 22 2011, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 22 2011, 02:15 PM) *

...I'm having a hard time visualizing the system, does any have a pic of stock 914/6 heat exchanger and associated plumbing set-up? (engine out of the car pic)

That would be great for reference, there are a-million-and-one photos of a 911 setup/system out of the car, but none of the /6 setup/system

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 22 2011, 02:17 PM) *

It's not a problem, I can make most anything, just thought I'de post in case someone comes out and says, "No you idiot, they're the same, put it on and move on to the next thing" .... which happens quite often when I think about it. wacko.gif

I've seen Enrique's shop. Adjustable wrenches, vise grips and a big hammer. He can make anything! biggrin.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 22 2011, 03:26 PM) *

I've seen Enrique's shop. Adjustable wrenches, vise grips and a big hammer. He can make anything! biggrin.gif

Lol, something like that.. That's about as advanced as it gets around here.

You forgot duct-tape.... lots and lots of duct-tape.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.