Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas mileage difference between FI and Carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
86motoman
I have a choice between dealing with a stock fuel injection (Djet?) and some carbs.

What would be the gas mileage difference. Right now I am getting about 25mpg highway with the carbs. Will I get any better with the FI?
Cap'n Krusty
I dunno what kinda teener you have, but my old 71 got 41 average when it was used for long commutes, and in the mid 30s all the rest of the time. Is your rngine otherwise stock? Most of the 2 litre cars I've owned got in the high 20s and low 30s when driven even remotely sanely ............. The Cap'n
redshift
I get prolly 1/3 more miles out of a tank with injection, than I have with carbs.

M
SirAndy
35mpg on my 1.8L with D-Jet.

i'll report back on the 2.1L with carbs as soon as i get it to run, but i suspect i can call myself lucky *if* i get 20mpg with it ...

<_< Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(redshift @ Aug 10 2004, 03:31 PM)
out of a tank with injection

you have fuel-injection on your tank ?

biggrin.gif Andy
redshift
Only at the gas station.

wink.gif

-note to self: say what you mean-

M
86motoman
Sounds like the djet should easily get 30+ mpg. Well worth trying to get the fuel injection to work right.

The car I will be driving is a 72. I don't even know what engine it is.
lapuwali
There are some engine ID threads you can search for. It's very likely a 1.7, though.
914forme
Wow 25 with carbs not bad, low 30s with a 2.0L and D-jet, my 6 actually does better, with mid 30s from it, running carbs. I had carbs on my 2.0L my Truck got better mileage. I was doing good to break into the 20s with it.
markb
30+ with d-jet on a stock 72 1.7
Jake Raby
My 912 with carbs, and the Kit Carlson EMS is running about the same, around 35ish if I hold steady throttle..

Hey Capn' better not let Alfred finger.gif hear that you got 41MPG, he crucified me when I claimed 38MPG....
BatAc
Well I'm on blocks right now. I have a '74 1.8 w/original FI. Let me ask what is the size of the gas tank so I can do a test when I'm up 'n' runnin'.
Cap'n Krusty
Hey, Jake! My car was as bone stock as they come, and the car did the I5 trip LA to Sacramento about 2 times a week. Teeners get their best mileage at about 75 in 5th, and that's where it was, hours at a time ............. The Cap'n
BatAc
I kinda second Caps opinion on this one. Just a while back I drove cross country 'n' she jus' wanted to be at 80 in 5th. Although my gas gauge would only read half full on fill up.
morgan_harwell
My 2.0L 4-banger with Webers got 19mpg(city), 35mpg(highway).

I replaced it with a 2.4L 6-banger to meet smog requirements.

My 2.4L 6-banger with fuel injection gets 22mpg(city), 35mpg(highway).

--Moe--
pbanders
It's hard to say what mileage you'd get, as motors vary a LOT in configuration. A stock 1.7L with D-Jet in good shape will get incredible mileage when driven at normal freeway speeds on flat roads, about 40 mpg. A 2.2L with 44IDF's, with big valves, worked head, hot cam, driven hard in the city will get 15 mpg.

As they say, YMMV....
Jake Raby
Its all in the combo!!!
J P Stein
Well, lessee...
I put in 4 gallons of primo. Drove over to PIR....bout 4-5 miles.....made ...14 AX passes @ .4 miles each. Drove home. I'll need 3 more gallons confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.