Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Quickner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
yeahmag
Has anyone considered something like this for autocross?

http://www.racereadyproducts.com/steering-...ering-quickner/

I find myself wishing I had quicker steering almost all of the time when I'm running. Maybe this is too quick (1.5:1 or 2.0:1), but the idea sure seems right.

-Aaron
jjackson
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Nov 22 2011, 02:34 PM) *

Has anyone considered something like this for autocross?

http://www.racereadyproducts.com/steering-...ering-quickner/

I find myself wishing I had quicker steering almost all of the time when I'm running. Maybe this is too quick (1.5:1 or 2.0:1), but the idea sure seems right.

-Aaron

Never ran one on a teener.
We put one of these on a 944- and it just never felt right-finally removed it.I bought the quicker ratio gear and pinion that Quaiffe has.Never got around to the install last year-
It will be on the car next season.
JJackson
ConeDodger
An easier way to quicken things up is to put a stiffer coupler in between the upper and lower column. Brad Roberts did some testing and IIRC he found that the steering wheel had to be turned 16 degrees before the rack would follow. He designed an aluminum 'puck' to replace the rubber in the steering column. Not really a unique solution, Datsun racers were doing this with Z and 510 race cars in the 1970's. But it is elegantly simple and effective. I got two from Brad when he manufactured them. I will eventually sell one I suppose...
McMark
Check out this thread.

Short version:
Stock 914 steering rack is 3.1 turns lock to lock.
Stock 912 & 65/66 911 steering rack is 2.7 turns lock to lock.
Quaife sells the parts to convert your rack to 2.5 turns.

Much easier than that gear box. wink.gif
Brett W
Another thing to keep in mind, the steering quickener will increase steering effort. You definitely want to get rid of the rubber donut just to help steering feel. Of course if this is a street car, you may find the feedback through the wheel objectionable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.