Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What am I getting myself into?!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Binford
My son is a Life Scout and expects to make Eagle in a year or two. The agreement I've made with him is that "we" will start shopping for a 914 the day following his Eagle Court of Honor.

Not for him, but for "us."

Ever since I was 15, I've wanted one. I owned a '77 924 for quite a while, but it didn't do it for me. Gotta have a 914.

What am I getting myself into?! blink.gif
SirAndy
Do you own jackstands? biggrin.gif

welcome.png
pt_700
our sincere condolences...

lucky for you two, there's a great community of teeners in the northwest.

welcome to the madness!
ripper911
You're getting yourself into a fun little car!
driving.gif
VaccaRabite
I am going to scoot this thread over to the Garage for a proper introduction. ;-) The sandbox is our OT area.

Binford is a long time old Military Vehicle guy, m715 nut, etc.

Glad you made it over here!
Zach
messix
You're a sick man..... Into old military jeeps, now gonna get into 914's .
welcome.png
Gint
You got it made. You already have an extra pair of hands.
PanelBilly
Great father son project.

Welcome to the world of rust
keske968
A lot of work. A lot of fun. A great time to experience frustration and victories with your son. It will be a great bonding experience for you two.
Tom
Binford,
I also live in Port Orchard and have a 914 taking up space in my garage. Several of the PNW guys have seen my car and you are welcome to discuss it with any of them. If you want pics, send me your e-mail address and I'll send some to you. better yet, come on over for a look see. I live out toward the PO airport.
Tom
jimkelly
rust.

find a rust free car.

by rust free - i mean - no obvious rust - and no hidden rust.

rust repair can severly impact a budget build.

one of my favorite rust threads - enjoy.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

jim

Binford
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 22 2011, 04:24 PM) *

I am going to scoot this thread over to the Garage for a proper introduction. ;-) The sandbox is our OT area.

Binford is a long time old Military Vehicle guy, m715 nut, etc.

Glad you made it over here!
Zach

Thanks, Zach. My very first post here and I get moved. Noobs.... rolleyes.gif

So what's "OT" mean?

I honestly don't know what I'm thinking. I sold my 44-year-old M715 (you've been away from the Zone for a while, Vacca, so you may have missed that!) to better afford the 31-year-old Glasply cuddy-cruiser/salmon fishing boat I bought this past summer, and now I'm considering picking up a 38-year-old 914....?!?! I really need some help....

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I've got a year or two before I have to really worry about this. So for now I'll just pick up what knowledge I can so I'll be semi-educated when I go to look for a 914.

Cheers....
Binford
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 22 2011, 05:01 PM) *

rust.

find a rust free car.

by rust free - i mean - no obvious rust - and no hidden rust.

rust repair can severly impact a budget build.

one of my favorite rust threads - enjoy.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

jim

Amazing! I hate rust....

QUOTE(Tom @ Nov 22 2011, 04:58 PM) *

Binford,
I also live in Port Orchard and have a 914 taking up space in my garage. Several of the PNW guys have seen my car and you are welcome to discuss it with any of them. If you want pics, send me your e-mail address and I'll send some to you. better yet, come on over for a look see. I live out toward the PO airport.
Tom

Hey, Tom! Ya know, I've never seen a 914 around here. Weird. (Though I have seen my old 924 around a time or two! It's the white "Champion Edition" with red and blue racing stripes and three black hood stripes, if you ever see it around town.)

I live out past McCormick Woods; between there and Sunnyslope, near where they are wanting to build the 2nd high school.

Wait, you're not selling your car, are you? It might be fun to bring my son out to look at it, though.

Mind you, every vehicle I own now is a 4-wheel-drive. That M715 was so tall it was hard to climb in to! So my mom get's a new(er) Toyota and asks me to sell her old Camry, so I give my son, Nick, a ride home in it from school. He's amazed at how low the car rides! When I tell him Vacca said his seat is about 7 inches off the ground, he thought that was the coolest! He is absolutely stoked about this deal we have (to buy the 914 when he gets his Eagle), so I'd love to fan the flames with a visit some time if you're good with that.

Meanwhile, shoot a few photos my way! timulator at gmail dot com.

Stay dry!
VaccaRabite
OT is Off Topic - Same as the BS Board on the Zone.

Noob. ;-)
Zach
VaccaRabite
Going from a 914 to a regular car tends to make the regular car feel like a truck, and a truck feel like a monster.

Zach
ripper911
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 22 2011, 08:28 PM) *

Going from a 914 to a regular car tends to make the regular car feel like a truck, and a truck feel like a monster.

Zach

agree.gif
Makes an old Beetle feel like a school bus.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.