Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brought home a new 914 tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
Somewhat of an impulse buy, but I'm always on the look out for nice 914s. I saw it on eBay, it's only about 10 miles from my house, I looked at it yesterday, and picked it up tonight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...=item1e688dfafa

And now I'll have a 914 to drive while my orange car is rebuilt.

He's an early 1971 1.7, virtually no rust, solid driver. Was repainted in 2008. Green bilstein front struts, no sway bars, very nice chrome bumpers, original interior (including carpet).

The prior owner owned it for less than a year, the next previous owner *may* have been the original owner. I have receipts from 1989 to 2010 with the same owner (he lived in Escondido), and the car was originally purchased in Feb 1971 in Las Vegas, and I have 1971 registered with an Escondido address, but no other paperwork from 1971 to 2010.

The ODO still works (62k miles) and all the documentation and condition of the car appears that that's accurate. There is also a receipt from the clutch tube being repaired in 2010 which also seems to tell me the mileage is accurate (it should have broken long ago! smile.gif ).

Vrooooom!

-Steve

I'll post some better photos once I get him cleaned up...
siverson

Socalandy
Congrats, looks great!!

You cant just have one anyway
siverson
This is my 4th 914, but I've never owned an early car. Some weird things (to me):

- hand brake that flops back down. is this really a 914 hand brake?

- windshield wiper *knob* on the dash, no lever.

- no vents in the dash.

- big ugly vent in the center of the dash

- no retractable belts

- my first tail shifter. it really doesn't seem that bad...

- steel wheels, but I don't think those are 914 hub caps.

- no basket weave (all smooth vinyl)
siverson
hand brake:

Socalandy
thats an early one for sure, the build date must be in 1970 with no vents and a center defrost vent. cant wait to see more pics in the daylight. I guess Im too slow listing my 72 for sale as it would be nice to see it stay close to home
siverson
the big vent:

McMark
I don't know why, but I love the early cars. That one looks especially clean.

Everything you're seeing is stock for early cars.

Damn, now I want to sell my 73 and get a 70. drooley.gif
siverson
> Everything you're seeing is stock for early cars.

But the Porsche crest on the hubcap can't be right... right?

-Steve
siverson
Paint code: L96D

Build date: 10/1970
McMark
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 22 2011, 11:00 PM) *

-Steve

Whoop, yeah. You got that. Could be 914/6 hubcaps or 'custom'. 914/4 had non-emblem caps or VW logo caps (likely ROW only).
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 23 2011, 01:22 AM) *

This is my 4th 914, but I've never owned an early car. Some weird things (to me):

- hand brake that flops back down. is this really a 914 hand brake?

- windshield wiper *knob* on the dash, no lever.

- no vents in the dash.

- big ugly vent in the center of the dash

- no retractable belts

- my first tail shifter. it really doesn't seem that bad...

- steel wheels, but I don't think those are 914 hub caps.

- no basket weave (all smooth vinyl)

This makes me miss my '71. sad.gif

I've owned 3 and the '71 was by far the quirkiest car, and its been the one I've loved the most!

Did you enter your VIN into the database yet? I wonder how far off it was on the production line of my old car(RIP).
sixnotfour
plain jane aktion035.gif
EdwardBlume
Super clean. Nice buy! aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
Nice score Steve! Very original. Pat will be proud.
JawjaPorsche
That is one nice car! Did the cutie come with the car! She looks like she a teener lover too!

Is that an oil bath air cleaner? I am glad to see I am not the only one who uses duct tape to repair their air lines! I currently have duct tape it on my 92 Trooper's intake.
johannes
I love those steel wheels...

rwilner
slight hijack...

Any issues attaching the child seat to the car? I have a little one on the way and am trying to convince my wife that getting my son addicted from birth is the best way to go...
tod914
Nice score! Keep the steelies on it smile.gif
saigon71
Man that is a sweet looking car!
Series9
Very nice. I'm also shopping for a 70 or 71.
GaroldShaffer
aktion035.gif Nice find and welcome to 1970 914 owners club biggrin.gif I wub.gif my 70. Mines been "updated" for Axing, but I wouldn't mind finding a nice all original one also.
Ferg
Nice Buy smile.gif
JMKnight
sad.gif
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 23 2011, 05:56 AM) *

aktion035.gif Nice find and welcome to 1970 914 owners club biggrin.gif I wub.gif my 70. Mines been "updated" for Axing, but I wouldn't mind finding a nice all original one also.

Both of mine are stock, but I would really like a 914 gt version. Too poor for that dream, and won't trade the stockers. Oh well.. sad.gif
sean_v8_914
I have seen that can before. nice score.
computers4kids
Steve,
I love your new teener...then again I'm a bit partial to silver 914s. Looks to be in good condition, I would leave the steelies. I'm glad I don't cruise ebay anymore. biggrin.gif I would of probably been implusive too on this one.first.gif
Mark
RiqueMar
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Nov 23 2011, 06:52 AM) *

I have seen that can before. nice score.

I've seen that car too! Most recently outside Joe Vampolas European Motorsports about 3-4 months ago! Super nice!
eric9144
Wow very nice!! I too am a bit partial to silver 914's and early cars with all their weird quirks--like that dopey e-brake handle!

Congratulations! piratenanner.gif

You'll have to bring it on a Dawn Patrol run and show it off now! driving.gif
Steve
The auction isn't closed yet on evil bay. Is it too late to bid? Just kidding.. Nice score!! My first 914 was a 71 back in 78. It was in better condition than the car I have now.
Tom_T
QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 23 2011, 12:00 AM) *

-Steve

Steve -

Those cloisonne crested caps are Porsche's optional/accessory/upgrade dealer sold items. They started selling those at dealers in the mid-60's for the later 356C's, (11s & 912s, & many bought them to put on their 914s - or could option off for the stock caps when purchasing new. Dealers always love to sell options & accessories since they usually make a huge margin on them! biggrin.gif

I guy with a 63 356 at the CW show last weekend in Santa Clarita had them for his DD use, and he said he had bought them later in the 60's when they came out (he showed it with the nicely rechromed crested caps that came on his 356 originally).

That 71 is a nice find, but IMHO I'd assume at least an extra one digit at the front of the odo reading, until you can find the missing period's docs. The clutch tube could've been repaired in the gap time.
vwsamba
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 23 2011, 08:27 AM) *

The auction isn't closed yet on evil bay. Is it too late to bid? Just kidding.. Nice score!! My first 914 was a 71 back in 78. It was in better condition than the car I have now.

I'm confused, is the last guy selling it again or are you selling it already as the auction has 11hrs left on evilbay confused24.gif
914Sixer
Nice one!!!
abnrdo
Nice find!!! drooley.gif
zambezi
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 23 2011, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 23 2011, 12:00 AM) *

-Steve

Steve -

Those cloisonne crested caps are Porsche's optional/accessory/upgrade dealer sold items. They started selling those at dealers in the mid-60's for the later 356C's, (11s & 912s, & many bought them to put on their 914s - or could option off for the stock caps when purchasing new. Dealers always love to sell options & accessories since they usually make a huge margin on them! biggrin.gif

I guy with a 63 356 at the CW show last weekend in Santa Clarita had them for his DD use, and he said he had bought them later in the 60's when they came out (he showed it with the nicely rechromed crested caps that came on his 356 originally).

That 71 is a nice find, but IMHO I'd assume at least an extra one digit at the front of the odo reading, until you can find the missing period's docs. The clutch tube could've been repaired in the gap time.

The 356 style hubcap uses a different mounting style than the 914 4 lug arrangement. It is the same as the 914-6 5 lug steel rims though. The caps on Steve's car have the same mounting as the 4 lug VW's.
markb
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 23 2011, 05:15 AM) *

Nice score! Keep the steelies on it smile.gif

agree.gif
nsr-jamie
Excellent!! Exactly how my first 914 was!! Love it beerchug.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE(rwilner @ Nov 23 2011, 05:20 AM) *

slight hijack...

Any issues attaching the child seat to the car? I have a little one on the way and am trying to convince my wife that getting my son addicted from birth is the best way to go...

It works best once the kids are big enough to be in seats that use the standard seat belts. Seats for smaller kids rely on you having a belt that you can "lock down" so that it doesn't rely on the auto-engagement mechanism. Most seats that I've seen come with a metal bracket that goes over the seat belts so to lock them together so that it becomes a "fixed" belt that you can tie down.

Back to the topic... Nice score!
siverson
Re: fixed belt.

This still has the early belts that are always fixed.
Socalandy
this thread is making me rethink selling my 72. I dont havr too but dont want to store it and let it sit. the -6 would be the obvious choice to drive of the two.

very nice 70 !!!
Lou W
Nice Find Steve smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.