Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil bath air filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Teknon
[FONT=Optima][SIZE=7][COLOR=green] confused24.gif I just bought a 70 1.7 and it has a oil bath filter. Yet I can't find any info on it. Anybody ever seen one?
Brad Roberts
Sure.. it means you have a VERY original car. Most people replace it with the paper element style filter housing (which has made them semi rare/difficult to find).

Welcome to the club clap56.gif

You've come to the right place.

B
East coaster
Rare.........Dang! I just threw one out when I put a K&N on my '71. I know the oil bath actually works very well though. One thing I know, it's a bunch quieter than the K&N setup.
markb
I personally don't think anything compares to the cleaning quality of the oil bath. I had one on my 55 Ford & it worked as good as the one on my 72. They're a little messy if you turn it wrong while adjusting something.... sad.gif
SirAndy
yupp, i had one too on my car. drove it like that for over a year before switching to a paper-unti style aircleaner.
the oil-bath unit works well if cared for. and yes, they do get messy if turned upside-down. wink.gif

biggrin.gif Andy
TonyAKAVW
My 70 1.7 also has the oil bath cleaner still. Then again it also has the Home Depot Special throttle return spring and the Radio Shack Special wiring to bypass the broken ignition switch.
wink.gif

-Tony
McMark
How does the oil bath handle spirit driving conditions?
Garland
Ran a oil bath cleaner for years on two of mine, and they never leaked while "spirit" driving and at the age I was then, it was all Spirit driving. Love original and will use one on my project car. crest.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The oil bath filters better than the OE paper filter that replaced it in 73, and Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the POS K&N. The Cap'n, rallying to the defense of better filtration!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.