Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GA Case Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Ok, I have been seeing this "GA" case talked about, been seeing it on ebay as a reason to buy the case. However, someone from this forum recommended to me Tom Wilson's book, "How to Rebuild Your VW AIr Cooled Engine". I bought this book from Amazon the other day (very quick shipping, by the way). In the section on Type IV crank cases, he says they are all the same up until '79. Furthermore, he goes on to point out that the pistons are all interchangeable between the 1.7/1.8/2.0 (with the 2.0 p/c requiring matching crank and rods).

So then, what is the big deal about a "GA" case engine? confused24.gif Is it just because those were the ones that were originally 2.0L? Is there a tangible difference between the GA case and the other 914 cases?
McMark
You're dead on. It's all about looks. The one case differences are the VW Bus cases had the oil filler on the front of the case at the bottom. Effectively they are all the same.
Jake Raby
There are no differences... the GA case is not golden.

Hell, my favorite case is an EA 1.7!! They are much stronger around the oil cooler boss, and have larger register ODs for doing big cylinders..

my 3.0 is made from a 1.7 BUS case. It'll make 270 ponies no sweat and stay together.
thomasotten
Cool. Another reason this forum rocks! Answers is seconds, literally! By not knowing better, there are folks bidding for "GA" cases on Ebay right now. But now that the Jedi-Master has spoken, I can sleep well. Thanks Jake!
McMark
Damn, I thought I was the Jedi Master for a second. tongue.gif
thomasotten
Your a Padawan Learner, just like me.
Jake Raby
They are all Type IVs.... Just because it was a Porsche, doesn't mean anything.... In that regard the Porsche guys are just like the VWs.... The only noted difference was a few slight oiling passage mods to the crankshaft, a few digits of CR, 10cc less dish in the pistons and of course those wonderful heads that crack if you look at them wrong in fifth gear w00t.gif
thomasotten
So would I be better off building a 2056 out of my 1.8 than to buy a 2.0L engine as the base?
Jake Raby
If you can find a good 2.0 crank and rod set, yes... I have several good used sets if you can't find any...
thomasotten
Ok, I will keep that in mind. I could pay you to balance it for me at the same time. I keep getting urged to put a six in it. But I like the 4 cyl. option, because it seems like less hassle. Will a 2056 do better than an early six, say a 2.2 911T engine?
Jake Raby
I cannot answer that question without bias....
McMark
2270!

The only thing a six gets you is a nice sound (or too much power if you throw money at it).
thomasotten
Is it kinda like that movie "A few Good Men"?

Jack Nicholson: "What do you want from me?"

Tom Cruise: "I want the Truth!"

Jack Nicholson: "The Truth?" "You can't handle the Truth!"

Only Tom Cruise movie I can stand to watch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.