Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Fender Measurements
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neyen14
I am bout to put some fender flares on my '75 914, and I measured the bottom opening of the rf fender and it measures 27.5" inches... the left front measures 27.75"... same measurements on the '72 that I have. Is it just my 914's or everyone have that scheme goin on? WTF.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(neyen14 @ Nov 23 2011, 05:23 PM) *

I am bout to put some fender flares on my '75 914, and I measured the bottom opening of the rf fender and it measures 27.5" inches... the left front measures 27.75"... same measurements on the '72 that I have. Is it just my 914's or everyone have that scheme goin on? WTF.gif

Pretty normal.

My car has about 1/2 difference side to side. The left rear quarter panel wheel opening is 5/8 larger than the right side.

Like a mirror if you get really close you will see stuff you don't like.
r_towle
Use the rocker panel to center the flares
neyen14
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 23 2011, 08:28 PM) *

I figured as much... I'm gonna use the front valance and the rocker panels as the guides. Both left and right side of the flares measure 27.5". Thanks for the feedback, mucho appreciated
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(neyen14 @ Nov 23 2011, 08:59 PM) *

I figured as much... I'm gonna use the front valance and the rocker panels as the guides. Both left and right side of the flares measure 27.5". Thanks for the feedback, mucho appreciated

.... And once you get your flares centered and installed you will probably notice one rear wheel sits a little farther in than the other. You will freak out and do some more measuring thinking how could this be? Do my wheels have the same offset? Is one wheel a 1/4-1/2 inch narrower than the other? Then when you measure the inside wheel bead at the top horizontally to the inner wheelhouse you will think did Germans actually make this car? Yep they did and these cars are no where near close. Foley and I discussed this. Just ignore it and don't let the head demons get the best of you.
neyen14
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Nov 23 2011, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(neyen14 @ Nov 23 2011, 08:59 PM) *

.... And once you get your flares centered and installed you will probably notice one rear wheel sits a little farther in than the other. You will freak out and do some more measuring thinking how could this be? Do my wheels have the same offset? Is one wheel a 1/4-1/2 inch narrower than the other? Then when you measure the inside wheel bead at the top horizontally to the inner wheelhouse you will think did Germans actually make this car? Yep they did and these cars are no where near close. Foley and I discussed this. Just ignore it and don't let the head demons get the best of you.

Ai Yai I!!!One wheel is going to sit further in the the other one?! "Just ignore it and don't let the head demons get the best of you"? blink.gif Thanks a lot for that heads up. Enjoy your holiday Jeff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.