Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump issue was working now it's not
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
So I just started Sandy's 73 2.0 with F.I.

I relocated the pump to the front. The car started right up the first time we tried it.

After a couple good starts the fuel pump stopped working.

I checked the relay board and have power to terminal 30. I jumped the board to terminal 87 and got the pump to run but then the car still wouldn't start.

I checked for spark and that is working and good.

I swapped relays, no joy,

Any ideas?
r_towle
Turn key on, do you hear it?
Turn headlights on...do they open up?
Take the relay from the headlight and use it at the fuel pump.
Check all your fuses,,,under the dash and in the relay board.

Rich
76-914
bye1.gif Hey Rick, Happy Thanksxgiving. Does the pump have a good ground? Are you getting power to the pump? Crimped or crossed fuel line? Any fuel pressure?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 24 2011, 08:38 AM) *

Turn key on, do you hear it?
Turn headlights on...do they open up?
Take the relay from the headlight and use it at the fuel pump.
Check all your fuses,,,under the dash and in the relay board.

Rich

First, there is no gas tank yet. I used a gas can set in the gas tank location with both fuel lines stuffed in the can.

No heads, motors or anything up front yet. Still disassembled.

I swapped 4 relays in place of the fuel pump relay, turned the to the on position and no joy. I understand the pump should run for a couple seconds.

Question, If I jump the relay pin 30 to 78 and get the pump to run could I still have a bad fuse on the fuse panel in the car?

I did not check that. I did check the fuse on the relay board and it is good.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 24 2011, 09:05 AM) *

bye1.gif Hey Rick, Happy Thanksxgiving. Does the pump have a good ground? Are you getting power to the pump? Crimped or crossed fuel line? Any fuel pressure?

Hi ya Ken! Happy T-Day! Fuel lines are not pinched under the air box... lol-2.gif I know not funny then but....
76-914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 24 2011, 08:11 AM) *

Hi ya Ken! Happy T-Day! Fuel lines are not pinched under the air box... lol-2.gif I know not funny then but....

You steal one damned chicken and what happens? Everybody calls you a chicken thief. chair.gif You still haven't said what your fuel pressure is....... Don't know = extra variables
rick 918-S
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 24 2011, 10:44 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 24 2011, 08:11 AM) *

You steal one damned chicken and what happens? Everybody calls you a chicken thief. chair.gif You still haven't said what your fuel pressure is....... Don't know = extra variables

I don't know but when the pump was running the engine started and ran. I haven't had it running long enough to get a gauge on it.
rick 918-S
Ok, I'm tracking down the problem. I have power to terminal 30. The ground terminal 85 is good. But I have no power coming from the wire marked III.

Q). Where does this wire come from? The ECU?

If that's the case this may explain why the engine won't start when the pump jumper is connected.

Any idea where the fault is?

Click to view attachment
jim912928
Rick....if you find the relay board to be bad I still have the one that was in my car before my conversion.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Nov 24 2011, 01:35 PM) *

Rick....if you find the relay board to be bad I still have the one that was in my car before my conversion.

Thanks Jim. I'm staring at the diagrams now trying to track down the issue. We shall see.
ejm
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 24 2011, 01:37 PM) *

But I have no power coming from the wire marked III.

That wire is grounded thru the ecu to close the relay. Call me....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ejm @ Nov 24 2011, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 24 2011, 01:37 PM) *

But I have no power coming from the wire marked III.

That wire is grounded thru the ecu to close the relay. Call me....

Thanks for the help Ed! aktion035.gif Ed had me perform a couple tests that eventually led to the conclusion that I was swapping bad relays around. slap.gif

I'm heading over to the local flaps tomorrow and get some new ones.
r_towle
Headlight relays from the alien....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 24 2011, 05:13 PM) *

Headlight relays from the alien....

How'd you know... unsure.gif
r_towle
It was my next suggestion....you need to know....then test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.