Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about paint color for the heater parts under the engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
rick 918-S
Not exactly concours. I have a 1973 2.0 with 1.7 SS HE's but don't have the SS elbows and J tubes. Eventually I would like to move to 2.0 SS HE's. When I do I hope to get the SS connections but who knows when that will be. But for now I would like to at least make the parts I have look correct. Here's the issue.

It's clear all J tubes were black to match the tin. But I have a set of the elbows that connect the J tubes to the HE's and then to the flapper doors. They appear to be grey. Were these just painted wrong?

Q) What color should they be painted?

Anyone have an under the car photo?
tod914
Rick, grey is correct for both the elbows and those funky "S" shaped attachments that go onto the exchanger and fan housing. They should match the color of the muffler and exchangers, if you want to be "correct". Only high temp paints I found, are in light grey. The VHT's should be fine. The original parts are more of a darker blueish grey. More along the lines of a battleship or slate grey. PC might be an option those, but then your muffler won't match. Signal Grey seems to come real close to the factory color, in PC. The Dove Grey in PC is close too. Although abit too blueish in tone. The rattle can version of Dove Grey from Wolfsburg West is way too green. Would not suggest using it. I'm hoping to find a high temp PC that matches the factory color this winter. I'll keep you posted if I do. One member, posted shots of a high temp rustoleum 600 degree primer? paint? he used. Seems to be an excellent match. Can't recall his name, or locate the thread. Hope that helps, sorry no shots.
Tom_T
Agree with all of Tod's suggestions & paints Rick. Wurth used to make a grey exhaust paint that was a match, but stopped making it about a year or so ago.

This was the link to it at NLA Ltd. (for the 356 folks), which is dead now & when I checked in Spring they didn't know if or when they may get it again:

http://www.nlaparts.com/store/exhaust-grey-paint-p-653.html

Maybe someone in P-cars near you has enough in their old stock for a small job like your "S-tubes"? ...I think the 653 in the link above may be the old Wurth part/color no. to help you track some down?

Otherwise, maybe NLA can get it custom matched like these colors at the link below, or try emailing them to see what they're 356 CWs are using now.

http://www.nlaparts.com/store/356bt6-acces...87_114_252.html

You can also try these HT Paints to see if they're closer (2 flat greys), but try them out in a test patch & match it to the muffler or something with the original exhaust grey intact:

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/

Tod may have tried these already - if so, hopefully he'll chime in.

I too got the SSI HEs & J-Tubes for my 73 2.0 - but not the "S-tubes in SS as yet, so let me know if you hear of an extra set, but do yours first cuz my resto is a long way off from needing them! dry.gif

Hope this helps! beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Thanks guys!
tod914
Rick I'm having some high temp pc samples sent to me. Likely I'll ship and have them color match to a piece. I'll keep you posted if it works out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.