Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a photo of the heater blower routing for a 73 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
rick 918-S
There are no photos of complete blower motor and hose routing in the engine thread for the late model (73 and up).

Here's my issue. I have a blower motor mounted on the left side of the engine bay. There is one outlet. I have a hose that I believe came off the left side "J" tube and connected directly to the blower.

Problem is I have a "J" tube on the right side that is not connected to anything? What feeds the right side with the late model blower?
tod914
Rick, late would be considered 75-76 for the blower set up. The 74's and earlier, have one short black plastic hose on the left side. The right side J-Pipe gets a black plastic cap and band on it. Part is NLA. I pressume your blower itself only has accomodations for one hose? You could update that part and put two hose on if you want. It's a plastic y-split that goes on the blower itself.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
agree.gif .... yeah, what I was going to say.

AA sells the "Y" splitter plastic piece that mounts on the blower inlet (& maybe others sell it too), but then the hose has to cross back over the engine/fan shroud to the R side J-tube for the heater box/HE, which some folks don't like because it covers up some engine access. Up in MN it may be worth the hassle to have the extra heat in winter.
rick 918-S
I posted in the garage also. I am going to go to home depot and get a rubber cap for the right side. As much as I agree Tom that the extra hose may be benificial up here, this car will never see the snow if I can help it. It's a pretty nice example.
Pat Garvey
Help me out here, because I'm a little confused.
Are we strictly discussing 2.0"s here?

According to Tod, "The 74's and earlier, have one short black plastic hose on the left side. The right side J-Pipe gets a black plastic cap and band on it". Not so with 1.7's (maybe 1.8's). The short hose from the drivers' side feeds to the blower and a much longer hose feeds from the other side of the blower to the J-tube on the passenger side. No blocking cap - straight through heater blowing.

What am I missing here?
Pat
rick 918-S
My 72 1.7 had the center mounted blower with two hoses. The engine I am working on is a 73 2.0 It had a blower unit mounted to the left side engine shelf and one hose. I was confused because I didn't know what to do with the right side "J" tube. As stated it receives a cap.

I don't know what the 1.8's use as I have no experience with them.

I will post a photo of my installation later tonight. I think I will get brownie points with Pat for this one. biggrin.gif
Sea Dragon 914
I believe the earlier cars had the Y splitter from the blower (my 72 had it) but I don't recall seeing the splitter on any of the later cars. The later cars have the single hose to the driver's side and the J tube on the passenger side is capped. It may have been a cost saving measure or to make sure the driver's side defroster worked better.
tod914
Pat, I only addressed Rick's original question as stated in his topic. "Need a photo of the heater blower routing for a 73 2.0." My responce was for 2.0 motors only. Hope that clears up any confussion confused24.gif
windforfun
"73 1.7.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.