Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny alternatives?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tributary
Apparently my 914 needs new syncros...since I am a weekend mechanic at best
my thought is to just get a new tranny.... estimates are about 2 grand...wow!
I might not be able to sell the car for that..

Question..

Are there other trannys from other cars that might work?
Is replacing the syncros something a weekend hack could undertake?

Don't Volkswagon's have trans axles ...are there kits that could convert?

The car is fun to drive and all but is by no means a hot rod...
I just want to be able to shift smoothy through the gears...
I am not one to drive over 100 mph often...
Just looking for it to be a nice driver...the motor is new...

any advice appeciated ...

John wacko.gif
seanery
Is it a side or tail shifter?

You can pick up side-shifter trannies very reasonable:
swap meets $75-150
eBay $125-250
classifieds $100 +

Tailshifters are less

good luck
jr91472
Based on my shopping of estimates, you can get a full re-built between $1000-$1500 depending on what they find inside the tranny. Could be less if indeed all you need are syncro's

good luck

JR
GaroldShaffer
you can get a full re-built between $1000-$1500 depending on what they find inside the tranny

agree.gif
Dave_Darling
There are no other transmissions that "just bolt up and work". However, with enough time and money and fabrication, you can make just about anything fit and work.

--DD
sgomes
We need a "I completely disagree" smilie...

I would be HIGHLY sceptical of a $1000 901. HIGHLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe others have had vastly different experiences than me but I've paid more than that twice and both times got hosed. (Brad can chime in on what I got for $1800 bucks)

If it is a totally unknown and out of the car tranny I would not suggest buying anything under 2.5kilo-bucks.
jr91472
Buying a cheaper used tranny is not a bad alternatiive IF IF IF you know it history and/or trust PO. Otherwise you might end up replacing syncro's on someone else's tranny.

JR
Red-Beard
Unless it is in the car and you get to drive it, it is a core, unless someone has pulled it apart and documented it.

I was offereing refurbished 901's for $750 exchange, but I also tell you up front that you are getting good used parts. 914 owners are too cheap to Pony up $750 for a good condition used tranny.

I would be Sceptical of a $1000 or $1500 tranny, since it takes $2500 in parts to renew one to brand spanking new.

james
Red-Beard
Oh yeah - Buy a tail shift tranny and rebuild it yourself.

$100 for the tranny (Parts doner)
$80 for the special tools
$50 for the kit
$25 for the big regular tools if you don't have them (25mm socket and Big Fucking Cresent Wrench)
Brad Roberts
Based on my shopping of estimates, you can get a full re-built between $1000-$1500 depending on what they find inside the tranny.

When I rebuild an engine I replace the bearings/pistons/cylinders.. ONE bearing in the 901 transmission is over 350$ right now. First gear slider is in the 350$ range. There is NO WAY in Hell you can buy a "rebuilt" tranny for 1500$. As Red Beard pointed out: REFURBISHED...good used parts... This is what you are buying. I have no issues with refurb'd boxes... just STOP calling them rebuilt. I have people who drop 7k on a 2.0 engine rebuild and then drop 3500$ on a 901 rebuild (all new everything) they continue to ask "why" does it cost this much when everyone seems to be able to do it for 1500$ ?? I have to go through this about 3 times a month... headbang.gif

Rant over.. back to installing a engine/trans.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.