Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easy hydraulic clutch set up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warpig
I want to replace the clutch cable in 75 1.8, with a hydraulic setup. Anybody know how to do it cheap, easy, fast, etc. With the limited tools and nonexistent talent that I have on hand. Any help is greatly appreciated. KMA.gif KMA.gif
shuie
There are several hydraulic clutch setups available from places like Chirco, cip1, jbugs, etc... I've never installed one, but I have seen them used on a lot of VW based Speedster replicas & buggies.
yellowporky
I had bought a hydraulic clutch set up from a guy 12 years ago but I cant remember his name. I believe that Rich Johnson knows him and is possibly how I got his name. The kit was to go in a 75 with a 901 trans and was about $750. This was a bolt on no fab work required and came with easy directions.
Good luck
bigkensteele
Why not just buy a Terry Cable and a new delrin pulley from Mikey914 and enjoy it for another 20 years? If installed correctly, the cable works just fine. A lot cheaper too!
strawman
I fabbed up a hydraulic clutch setup for my Subaru engine/trans in my teener, and while it was relatively cheap (using parts from a Subaru Forester and a Honda Civic) it was neither easy nor fast. I agree with bigkensteele -- get a new Terry cable and derlin pivot wheel from Mikey and be done with it!
Rand
Why?
vwsamba
It should be pretty cheap but will require some fab, go to a vw buggy shop like moore parts and get a couple of cnc cylinders. The only major hurdle i see is you will probably have to drill through the front pedal bulkhead to mount the M/C. When i did this on a bug i just mounted a whole cnc pedal set a bit further back but depending on your legs that may not work in a 914. The slave should be just a matter of a simple braket or tab on the trans. go for it and post pics beerchug.gif
Gary
Another member's experience: side shift hydraulic clutch.
type47
You might find some parts and ideas by looking at the hydraulic clutch system in a VW Vanagon.
partwerks
Does the Delrin pulley make the clutch work smoother?

Valy
QUOTE(warpig @ Nov 25 2011, 03:07 PM) *

I want to replace the clutch cable in 75 1.8, with a hydraulic setup. Anybody know how to do it cheap, easy, fast, etc. With the limited tools and nonexistent talent that I have on hand. Any help is greatly appreciated. KMA.gif KMA.gif

The hydraulic one will fail too and it will be a much more pain to repair.
I would stay with the cable.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 26 2011, 04:26 PM) *

Does the Delrin pulley make the clutch work smoother?

Maybe a little. The delrin should roll on the busing a tad better than the stock hard plastic. It is a harder material than stock and thus less prone to the wear and nicks. Most original pulleys have probably seen better days by now, so Mark's product is low cost and better than original.

The Terry Cable on the other hand should make it smoother, as it is running in a teflon sleeve, and the cable wind is much more compact which results in less friction. Do NOT lubricate a Terry Cable.

I am currently running a stock cable with Mark's pulley, and it works fine. I bought a Terry Cable years ago, and was about to install it a couple of weeks ago when I discovered that the ends were installed opposite of what they should be. I called them up, told them what the problem was and how long ago I bought it. They said "no problem - send it back and we will fix it". I plan on sending it back this week.
partwerks
I'm having to replace the Terry cable again from just about 4 months ago. Should find out sometime on Monday after I dump it off at the mechanic to enjoy to see what all went down in the center tunnel! It didn't break where the bolt is in the back like last time and as far as I can reach in on the front end, I can't feel where it snapped either.

I'm wondering if it was a reject cable or trans ground strap? After the install, I could swear that the pedal pushed harder. Is that any indication of anything also??

Where might be the best place to purchase the delrin clutch pulley at as far as bang for the buck scenario?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.