Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Splitting the Case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I broke the seal from the crank and it broke everything loose except the dowel underneath the oil cooler on the lower side of the engine.

How do I pull this area apart?
VaccaRabite
Find the bolt you missed.

Zach
EdwardBlume
Didn't miss any.... unless there's one inside the oil pressure sender.
EdwardBlume
Here's a bloody pict....
EdwardBlume
Everything is free except the 90 deg underneath the oil cooler....

This is an original never been split since new case.... but there are a couple love taps on the case when it was nudged in during assembly...
bigkensteele
Isn't there one around the oil filler console that is easy to miss? Might be inside...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 25 2011, 05:29 PM) *

Isn't there one around the oil filler console that is easy to miss? Might be inside...

Thanks. Both 10MM nuts are off around the oil filler rectangle.

Like I said, everything is free with 1-3 mm of free play less this one 4-6 inch elbow.

I need a strong but gentle man to pull from the other side...
Van
Probably dealing with some corrosion on a dowel pin... Be stronger with your "love taps".
a914dude
Count yer nutz. dry.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(a914dude @ Nov 25 2011, 06:06 PM) *

Count yer nutz. dry.gif

"testes.. one, two... THREE?"

-Beavis
EdwardBlume

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwIMsriGCd4

Mark Henry
Is there still a couple of washers on the studs? They can hang up on the threads.
JStroud
It could be sealant holding it together there, I had to be pretty aggressive with a rubber mallet to break mine free, even after all the bolt were out.
If you have a plastic sliding squeeze clamp you can flip it around and make it a spreader, put it in the oil pump hole, spread there while using the rubber mallet.

Good luck, oh and nice cars,
Jeff
EdwardBlume
Got it.

I carefully took a straight edge piece of wood and carefully tapped it out with a rubber mallet. The flange sticking up was "practically there for it."
Randal
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 25 2011, 06:33 PM) *

Nice video Rob. You just need to add music.
Jake Raby
After watching the video I'll say that you just need to get more aggressive.. I believe the case dowel does have it caught at that area... Use a pair of screwdrivers VERY CAREFULLY on both sides of the area that won't separate and try to spread it open with them both simultaneously.

OR use the screwdriver to load the area up and then carefully chatter against the dowel area with an air hammer and it will probably split right away... A dead blow or rubber mallet probably isn't going to do it, not enough concentrated shock load at the dowel area from those wimpy devices.. Use common sense, but grow a pair because thats the only thing thats going to get it apart.

Splitting a case is easy, I have had this happen to me on a couple of occasions but generally they fall apart and they should. Clean that dowel and it's bore really well before reassembly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.