Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: electronic ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OKCSwope
I'm having a hard time sorting through all the possibilities out there. I want to do a pointless ignition. Can you recommend a list of components and prices?
rnellums
I used Pertronix on one of mine. Uses a hall sensor to sense timing and comes in at around 80 bucks. Some have had problems with them burning up if the ignition is on and the engine isn't running for a while.

Oh and I used it on a stock 2.0L with dual Webers.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(OKCSwope @ Nov 25 2011, 07:33 PM) *

I'm having a hard time sorting through all the possibilities out there. I want to do a pointless ignition. Can you recommend a list of components and prices?

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Is the engine a stock FI motor? Does it have carbs? What engine mods have you done or plan to do? What is your budget
bigkensteele
I just installed a Pertronix a few weeks ago, and I have been pleased.

A resident expert recommends Compu-fire, which is basically the same deal but more reliable in his opinion (based on 30 years of experience). If I had it to do over again, I probably would have gone with the Compu-fire, but I had already bought the Pertronix long ago.

Do a search on Pertronix, and you will find the answers you are looking for.

When you have made your decision, check with Jason at Paragon Products. He will have what you need.
Cap'n Krusty

Compufire

Crane Allison XR 700

Both are complete kits, both are reliable. The Compufire is readily available, the Crane less so, although Summit may have stock. Anything else is unreliable enough that most knowledgeable techs would warn you to carry a set of points and a condenser, as well as a feeler gauge to set them, in the car.
OKCSwope
I'm running a 2.2 dual webers 4 cyl and my goal is to have a great street driveable autocrosser that I can tow to Hallet, Texas Motor Speedway, etc.

Sounds like Petronics and compu-fire are the best bets. Are those all-in-one kits? Do I still need a msd or coil?
underthetire
Compu fire. Cleaner signal at lower rpm IMO.

Both work well with a Bosch blue coil.
OKCSwope
QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 25 2011, 07:49 PM) *

I used Pertronix on one of mine. Uses a hall sensor to sense timing and comes in at around 80 bucks. Some have had problems with them burning up if the ignition is on and the engine isn't running for a while.

I'm leaning towards the Petronix. Did you get the I, II or III? With the III, I could set my own rev limit. What kind of performance did you get?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(OKCSwope @ Nov 25 2011, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 25 2011, 07:49 PM) *

I'm leaning towards the Petronix. Did you get the I, II or III? With the III, I could set my own rev limit. What kind of performance did you get?

I want to see more pics of the car in your avitar. Please post!
Socalandy
I want to see more pics of the car in your avitar. Please post!
[/quote]

agree.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
rnellums
I believe I got the II, there was no rev limit adjustment. And as far as performance goes, it improved over points IMO. No quantitative data other than it drove for 5000 miles with no issues.
-Ross
Spoke
I used this Pertronix module from Pelican. These are simple to install and are self contained. No more points issues.

Pertronix at Pelican Parts

Some have said that you can destroy these by leaving the ignition ON with the engine not running but I have not experienced this. I've had Pertronix in 2 914's for about 5 years w/o issues. If I need to turn the car ON w/o starting the engine to test something I will pull the +12V from the coil during the testing.

I do carry a spare set of points in the toolbox. beerchug.gif
jaxdream
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 25 2011, 08:06 PM) *

Compufire

Crane Allison XR 700

Both are complete kits, both are reliable. The Compufire is readily available, the Crane less so, although Summit may have stock. Anything else is unreliable enough that most knowledgeable techs would warn you to carry a set of points and a condenser, as well as a feeler gauge to set them, in the car.

Why not carry an extra set of the electronic ignition that you are using?? Shoudn't be no harder to replace than points & condenser .
I used the first gen. Pertronix in a T1 for years , no problems.

Jack
Mark Henry
QUOTE(OKCSwope @ Nov 25 2011, 11:25 PM) *

Sounds like Petronics and compu-fire are the best bets. Are those all-in-one kits? Do I still need a msd or coil?

Both are just a pick-up, you still need at least a blue coil.
MSD you also need the MSD coil.
76-914
IIRC, there is curreently only one Petronix model that fits our T4's. 7 yr's on a T1 and 2 yr's on a T4 w/o any problems running stock coils.
struckn
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 26 2011, 07:39 AM) *

IIRC, there is curreently only one Petronix model that fits our T4's. 7 yr's on a T1 and 2 yr's on a T4 w/o any problems running stock coils.

I have Pertronix's on my 914. They make a specific unit for the VW Flat fours like ours. Actually the car came also with the Pertronix under the cap plus a MSD Model 5 unit and MSD Blaster 2 Coil. The car runs better without the MSD Unit in the mix so I have disconnected it.

The MSD Blaster coil allows for a hotter spark so it stays. Also, if you go with the Pertronix ignition and either a Pertronix's or MSD Coil, increase your Plug Gap to at least .040 -.050 Gap. The coils have no problem producing enough spark with the higher then stock .028 gap. The larger spark is a very good thing.
davidj
I was looking into this setup:

Boost

beerchug.gif
MartyYeoman
I run a MSD 6AL with a Bosch Blue coil, stock Bosch dizzy and stock non-rev limiter rotor. MSD plug wire set and a Pertronix points module. All this on a L-jet motor. I've never had a problem with this combination.
struckn
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Nov 30 2011, 12:41 PM) *

I run a MSD 6AL with a Bosch Blue coil, stock Bosch dizzy and stock non-rev limiter rotor. MSD plug wire set and a Pertronix points module. All this on a L-jet motor. I've never had a problem with this combination.

That's a good set up but I don't think having a MSD Unit plus a Pertronix's in the Dizzy is a good idea. I noticed a better low RPM transition with the MSD deleted. It might also be that deleting the Pertronixs and keeping the MSD would work better as well. It's also possible that the MSD 5 I have is busted.
aharder
I'm running a Crane Cams FireBall XR2000, Stock 1.8 with single Carb. it's always responded very well for the last 3 years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.