Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: air bubbles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearren
I have just got my 73 2.0 back and running, rebuilt the carbs, new distribtor, points, wirers, ect., but just the other day while trying to tune the carbs I noticed air bubbles cumming up through the clear fuel line that comes through the body of the car and the are bubble are collecting to for one big bubble in the hose just before the carb., any ideas.
ArtechnikA
IME - they all do that...

if it's objectionable, find an opaque fiilter ...
tommy914
I've had carbs for years and haven't seen bubbles.
I have clear filter mounted on the side by the battery just after the fuel line comes up from below the engine shelf.

My fuel pump is up front directly under the tank.

Where is your pump mounted?
SLITS
When filling the tank, the fuel is aerated. If your tank and lines have been empty for a period of time, those bubbles can adhere to lines (cohesive) and get washed off after a time of flow. Fill a glass of water and watch.

Otherwise you could be sucking some air on the suction side of your pump at the pump fitting, but......,
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Aug 11 2004, 05:48 PM)
Where is your pump mounted?

i have most observed this phenomonon on a succession of T-I and T-III VW engines and the 356, where the mechanical fuel pump is bolted to the crankcase and actuated by a pushrod off the distributor drive gear. i've seen it to a lesser extent in the 914.6 where the pump was still located in its original place, under the tin. IIRC (been a while...) the hot air from the 914.6 heat exchanger dump valve isn't quite as badly located as it was with the 914.4 ...

after that cama a succession of fuel-injected cars with opaque lines...

if it's really hot, you could be seeing a bit of pre-vapor lock.

it would be prudent, of course, to check for leaks, because if air is getting in, fuel is probably getting out. i think you're just seeing the result of entrained air due to sloshing, however...
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 11 2004, 05:27 PM)

if it's objectionable, find an opaque fiilter ...

laugh.gif thanks for the early morning chuckle Rich laugh.gif

that was GUD beer.gif

.........b
Joe Ricard
I get air bubbles stuck to my beer glass when I pour a Guiness. Hmm but that is a good thing. Same principle????? Aerated fuel when filling. I'll buy that.
tdgray
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Aug 12 2004, 09:27 AM)
I get air bubbles stuck to my beer glass when I pour a Guiness.

If that offends you get an opaque glass biggrin.gif

MMMM Guiness beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
SLITS
beer3.gif Toothsheaf Stout - bigger bottle - more bang for the buck drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.