Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new 6-bolt style CV joints ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
Was a bit suprised when I opened the box with the new CV joint (non factory) for my -72, 914/4, it has six bolts and six same size holes in it instead of the 4 bolts and two fixed pins expected. Six bolts were also included in the box.
As you all know the flange has only 4 threaded holes in it.
Any experience on this?

/Lars S

IPB Image
partwerks
Maybe they couldn't count and fell asleep in Math class?
TheCabinetmaker
911 or vw typeI?
jmill
Can't you just use the roll pins in 2 of the holes and bolt the other 4. confused24.gif
larss
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 27 2011, 05:30 PM) *

Can't you just use the roll pins in 2 of the holes and bolt the other 4. confused24.gif

Yes, thats my 1st plan, but the roller pins are of bigger dia then the bolts so the roller pin holes has to be drilled a bit first so I was looking for how others may had done...

/Lars
larss
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 27 2011, 05:19 PM) *

911 or vw typeI?

Well the box says "062 Porsch" and the dimensions, splines etc seems to make a perfect fit, suppose the manufacturer has made a shortcut here....

/Lars S
mskala
As apparently the originals are no longer available,
some people even on this list sell a VW Type I
(probably what you have) with the 2 holes drilled
larger for the roll pins. Just drill the 2 holes.
Mark Henry
Consider ourselves lucky, at least we have a economical source of CV's that only need a minor mod.
larss
QUOTE(mskala @ Nov 27 2011, 06:42 PM) *

As apparently the originals are no longer available,
some people even on this list sell a VW Type I
(probably what you have) with the 2 holes drilled
larger for the roll pins. Just drill the 2 holes.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 27 2011, 06:49 PM) *

Consider ourselves lucky, at least we economical source of CV's that only need a minor mod.

agree.gif

/Lars S

jcd914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 27 2011, 08:49 AM) *

Consider ourselves lucky, at least we have a economical source of CV's that only need a minor mod.

agree.gif

But it is my understanding that the heat treated metal does not drill well and these need to be milled. I have not tried to drill any of them but you can see color of the metal has changed, from the heat treating, all the way into the bolt holes.

Where did you get these from? do they offer them pre machined?

Eric at PMB Performance sells a kit with the machining do already for about $90.

Jim

From PMB Site:
"So... 914 CV joints are NLA (no longer available!). Here's what you do. Get this Type 1 kit (same CV joint) for a fraction of the price. We've machined the pin holes and done all the work for you. While the suppliers "stock" photo doesn't show the work, two opposing holes have been perfectly machined to accept the dowel pins. You simply transfer your pins to these CV's and bolt them on."
larss
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Nov 27 2011, 08:19 PM) *

Where did you get these from? do they offer them pre machined?

http://www.cedex.se

/Lars S
a914dude
Might want to query Eric Shea at www.pmbperformance.com
wingnut86
I've purchased 2 of Eric's kits and they should work just fine. These have to be milled due to temper issues - carbide is best. There isn't a groove for the boot cap edge, so make sure the proper ends are facing the matching shafts and stub ends.
pdlightning
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Nov 27 2011, 10:59 AM) *

I've purchased 2 of Eric's kits and they should work just fine. These have to be milled due to temper issues - carbide is best. There isn't a groove for the boot cap edge, so make sure the proper ends are facing the matching shafts and stub ends.

Look at the o'riellys web site (Kragen) and the CV joints they offer.

The listing for 914s show the same CV for the 914-4 and 6. The picture shows 6 bolts for each. Mis-print or mfg doing the same as above, same cv incorrectly sold for both applications?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.