Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats Wrong with my car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
deloreandude86
Alright guys, I've been battling this for quite some time now and I'm just not understanding why this car won't go. I put dual empi carbs on it, in link below, and a non vacuum distributor. In the driveway this car will rev up no problem, sounds great, take it out for a spin and put it under a load, about 45-50 is all I can seem to squeeze out of it. Whats going on?

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TYPE-2-BUS-PORS...366&vxp=mtr
partwerks
Is it starved for fuel or vacuum leak?
nathansnathan
Driving back from Berkeley yesterday, I made the mistake of filling up with Valero gasoline. It's probably different, if you even have it in TX, but I had the same symptoms - it's like it isn't nearly the octane they claim it is, pinging and loss of power.
ripper911
If your fuel pump hasn't been moved to the front of the car under the tank, that could cause it.

Or tune it up again.
IronHillRestorations
I'm guessing the problem is ignition related. Either the timing or dwell is off, or you may have a sticking advance plate. Trouble shooting your car on the internet is difficult at best.
rick 918-S
Maybe put the F.I. back on it.
brant
it sounds like timing or ignition to me also

I agree with the above post
I'd check your dwell and then timing again (valves also)
r_towle
What specific distributor did you put on the motor?
Give all the details including the part number.

Rich
deloreandude86
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 29 2011, 11:07 AM) *

Rich

Well its not the bosch, its the one from auto motion, i think its described as sport distributor for porsche 55-80 somehtin, we checked the timing and dwell, everything looks just about spot on, it does skip a little though, its not a solid on the mark, sometimes its ahead, sometimes behind, but we also found a leak around the intake so we're gonna check on that and see if it helps
deloreandude86
QUOTE(deloreandude86 @ Nov 29 2011, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 29 2011, 11:07 AM) *

Rich

Well its not the bosch, its the one from auto motion, i think its described as sport distributor for porsche 55-80 somehtin, we checked the timing and dwell, everything looks just about spot on, it does skip a little though, its not a solid on the mark, sometimes its ahead, sometimes behind, but we also found a leak around the intake so we're gonna check on that and see if it helps

http://www.automotion.com/sport-distributo...-1955-1976.html
r_towle
cant help you with that webpage...its just a picture with no part numbers.

Here is one thing to check.
Mark your fan at 27 degrees if its not already.
Use the template posted in this article.
Move the mark to the front of the fan so you can see it.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm

Then, get your car up to 3200-2500 rpm and see if you are on the 27 degree mark...steadily.
That will be the key.
The curve may still be wrong, but you need to make sure you can get all the advance and the max rpm (3200-3500)

If that is all ok, tighten everything down on the intake and have your friend push the gas pedal down all the way..see if the linkage is binding. (car off).

3500 with no load is alot less pedal than 3500 with a load.
make sure your carbs open up all the way based upon however you did the linkage setup.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.