Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dansk Muffler Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So it bolts up fine to the heat exchangers, but when I bolt the tip on. It angles too far upward and I hits the rear of the car. I bought this from a seller saying it was for a 914. But I think it might be for ?? Mis-built and that was by it was sold ??

Let me know who you think.

Thank you.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
moparrob
For a bus?
Elliot Cannon
Cut the exhuast tip off close to the flange. Re-position it and re-weld it.

Cheers, Elliot
pete-stevers
reweld or send it to me

Mark Henry
It's a bus muffler 72-77
Don't cut the flanges rolleyes.gif sell it.
Mark Henry
Sorry I thought you guys meant cut the other flanges which would make a mess. smile.gif
Are you sure it clears the trans?
Montreal914
Here are images from the AA catalog and from the web. It looks like the part number should be 021 251 053C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
913B
Yes it clears the trans, bolts right up no problem until I tried to install the tip, WTF.gif

Wow, bus huh ?

a914dude
Re welding the tip isn't a big deal.
McMark
agree.gif reweld the tip, or take it to a muffler shop and have them do it.

Doesn't look like a bus muffler to me. The bus had the outlet on the other side.

IPB Image
913B
Note on the Dansk muffler the narrow side of the flange where it mates to the heat exchanger. 914 has wider on top and narrow on bottom.
rock914
I purchased the same muffler, mine came with two different tips. Neither one fit so i just cut one off re-positioned it and re-welded it. Works great but I was confused that it was advertised as a 1.8 liter 914 muffler and did not bolt right on.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 27 2011, 05:46 PM) *

It's a bus muffler 72-77
Don't cut the flanges rolleyes.gif sell it.

Bus mufflers have the tailpipe on the right, not the left, and 72-74 use a different muffler than 75-77, at least in the US.

The Cap'n
nathansnathan
Seems like someone really screwed up making that muffler. They're supposed to fit on a bus or a 914 or on a 412. The indentations are meant for clearing the tin and the oil fill in a bus setup, but, since the single hole on the flange needs to go up, it seems they've welded the flanges on upside-down.
913B
Note the indentations in the middle of the muffler. If I flipped the Dansk muffler those indentations would match up with my original muffler and the tip would be on passenger side.

Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
But no matter what heater box you attach it to, it has to go with the single hole on the top, the double on the bottom. Seems the only good option is to re-weld the tailpipe.

IPB Image
IPB Image

A real 914 muffler the tailpipe exits from the middle, and the tailpipe goes to the driver side.
IPB Image
Dave_Darling
That last muffler is an original-style 1.7 one. The 1.8 mufflers look much like the one in the original post. I'm not sure about the later 1.7s, they may be similar to the 1.8 ones.

--DD
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 28 2011, 05:59 PM) *

That last muffler is an original-style 1.7 one. The 1.8 mufflers look much like the one in the original post. I'm not sure about the later 1.7s, they may be similar to the 1.8 ones.

--DD

Ah, you're right. the later 1.7 I think when the valence changed, the tailpipe got longer? Not sure if there was also a 1.7 that went out the side maybe too.

About the dansk muffler, it looks like right in Automotion's pic. Maybe they did a bad run, or just that one? Seems like there may be more issues with fitment; they really are on upside-down.
IPB Image
http://www.automotion.com/dansk-original-s...-1970-1974.html
IPB Image
bradtho
I had the same problem with my 1.7 w/ the original snow-plow long valance. George was the only one who knew the right tip to match. After all the problems I'd had everywhere (including AA) I had little faith that it was going to work, but it did. As if that wasn't weird enough the part was a Genuine Porsche part with a nice finish and it cost LESS than the after-market battleship gray tips that other places kept sending me!

occassionally anything can happen I guess.
hwgunner
Here is a picture from one of my distributors that calls this muffler out for a 1.7 914. Dansk may have it wrong or it may be the dist. that has not been paying attention. The part number for the pictured muffler is 021 251 053 C.

jonathan
hwgunner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.